The Student Room Group

So by getting the lambda sensor replaced, will it save on fuel?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You're getting 21MPG if fuels 134p
Which is pretty bad.

What are you driving?
Reply 21
Original post by mphysical
How do you know you used £10 of petrol? Before and after what?
This is not how to measure fuel economy, so go away and do it properly!

Well my miles were 123,421 and tank was empty before putting in £10 , I checked mileage after using up the £10 and it was at 123, 456

Original post by de_monies
£1700 onwards

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/mazda/mazda2/postcode/bd213er/radius/1500/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/fuel-type/petrol/sort/default

I'd be tempted to get a Vauxhall Astra 1.7l Diesel at the same price tbf (Does more Mpg)

I myself have a Honda Civic Hybrid IMA Executive Saloon

According to fuel calc, the Vauxhall Astra is cheaper to run, even with the increased fuel prices for diesel than mine (and is more powerful), by about £6 for every 10,000 miles, but my car only costs £30 to tax, as opposed to £140

But mine also cost a lot more (£3800 compared to say £2500)

I have an astra and from what people are saying its bad on fuel
Reply 22
Original post by Camoxide
You're getting 21MPG if fuels 134p
Which is pretty bad.

What are you driving?

Astra, 2000
Reply 23
Original post by No Regrets
Astra, 2000

That's about right then for a car that size and age in city driving.
Reply 24
That's ridiculously low

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

That's an abysmal 10.58Mpg at a cost of 133p/litre

I worked it out to be about 20.6mpg...

Anyway, I don't think it's too bad if it was stop start traffic, and not exactly a brand new car. It's not good mpg, but not that unexpected knowing the conditions imo :rolleyes:
Reply 25
That's about right then for a car that size and age in city driving.

What car if any do you drive?
Reply 26
What car if any do you drive?

1998 1 litre Nissan Micra.

Even though it's a little car it still only gets about 32-35MPG City driving.
I can get 45MPG on A roads though.
I bought a car recently and filled it with £30 of fuel and took a picture of the readings of the petrol pump as well as my car's mileage on the odometer to calculate what it's fuel efficiency is. I'll be reporting back on this thread soon (sorry if I hijack your thread OP :tongue:) to compare with others once my fuel runs out. I'm expecting similar or perhaps much worse than the OP. :frown:
Reply 28
1998 1 litre Nissan Micra.

Even though it's a little car it still only gets about 32-35MPG City driving.
I can get 45MPG on A roads though.

But you said that my car burns a lot of fuel because its ''older'' whereas your car is even older than mine yet is good on fuel?
Original post by Hustler-1337
I bought a car recently and filled it with £30 of fuel and took a picture of the readings of the petrol pump as well as my car's mileage on the odometer to calculate what it's fuel efficiency is. I'll be reporting back on this thread soon (sorry if I hijack your thread OP :tongue:) to compare with others once my fuel runs out. I'm expecting similar or perhaps much worse than the OP. :frown:

Is your car bad on fuel as well?

It think it is, i'm just trying to find out how bad it is.
Reply 30
Original post by Hustler-1337

The only way to do it properly is brim the tank, reset the odometer, drive a couple of hundred miles, and then brim the tank again. The second time you brim it, thats the amount of fuel you used for the number of miles showing on your odometer.
Reply 31
Costs around £40 to fill mine and I'll get around 450 miles from it, so 35 miles too £10 isn't very good at all.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Nice.Guy
I worked it out to be about 20.6mpg...

Anyway, I don't think it's too bad if it was stop start traffic, and not exactly a brand new car. It's not good mpg, but not that unexpected knowing the conditions imo :rolleyes:

Not sure how you got that from the calculation (unless you used your own)

I have an astra and from what people are saying its bad on fuel

Tbf, I think that considering that Astra's are pretty cheap cars to buy, it means that younger people can afford to buy a pretty powerful car, with relatively cheap insurance, and I guess that a lot of people in that category would be driving pretty erratically
Reply 33
But you said that my car burns a lot of fuel because its ''older'' whereas your car is even older than mine yet is good on fuel?

Older engines are less efficient by design. The engine in your Astra is probably a design from the 80s where as my engine is from the 90s. Your car is nearly twice as heavy as mine as well so naturally it's going to use a lot of fuel.
i would say that if you were doing say motorway driving then 35 miles is awful for a tenner, but if its stop start driving in city traffic etc then than clearly impacts on fuel usage....

when i fill my car up it does anything from 300 to 360 miles a tank.....

you could try doing some basic stuff like changing spark plugs, giving the MAF sensor a clean, air filter etc and see if that helps out
Reply 35
Not sure how you got that from the calculation (unless you used your own)

I just worked it out by hand pretty much :redface:
Original post by Nice.Guy
I just worked it out by hand pretty much :redface:

Oh OK fair enough. I just used that calculator
Reply 37
That's ridiculously low

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

That's an abysmal 10.58Mpg at a cost of 133p/litre

Your calculations are well out.
£10 doesn't even buy 2 gallons worth of fuel @ £1.33 per litre. To travel 35 miles at 10 to the gallon you'd need about 3.5 gallons which would cost in excess of twenty five quid!

The OP's car is actually doing a gnats whisker shy of 22mpg which is absolutely fine.
Original post by JC.
£10 doesn't even buy 2 gallons worth of fuel @ £1.33 per litre. To travel 35 miles at 10 to the gallon you'd need about 3.5 gallons which would cost in excess of twenty five quid!

The OP's car is actually doing a gnats whisker shy of 22mpg which is absolutely fine.

Oops, I put in the wrong numbers. It's apparently 21.16Mpg. Not the greatest, but not bad I suppose
Reply 39
Original post by JC.

So is it really not that bad?

Just thought of something as well which may be of affect.

I had my car plugged in last year and it picked up 2 faults.

1. Advisory codes showing P1405 (EGR)

2. P0 130 02 sensor open circuit/ lambda sensor

could these faults be the cause? Every so often my engine management light comes on I guess due to the above?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending