The Student Room Group

So by getting the lambda sensor replaced, will it save on fuel?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by No Regrets
So is it really not that bad?

Just thought of something as well which may be of affect.

I had my car plugged in last year and it picked up 2 faults.

1. Advisory codes showing P1405 (EGR)

2. P0 130 02 sensor open circuit/ lambda sensor

could these faults be the cause? Every so often my engine management light comes on I guess due to the above?

Faulty Lambda sensor can cause the engine to always run rich which wastes fuel.
Reply 41
Original post by Camoxide
Faulty Lambda sensor can cause the engine to always run rich which wastes fuel.

thank you, I don't know why I hadn't twigged on earlier about it. is a lambda sensor the same thing as the EGR or 02 sensor?

How do you know so much about cars?
Well my miles were 123,421 and tank was empty before putting in £10
How did you get to the garage if your tank was empty?
And when it ran empty again, where you luckily in a forecourt?

The volume and mileage is far too low to minimise the error in the calculations.
Reply 43
That sounds really really low. I've got an old inefficient car and £10 would do around 85 miles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by olop
That sounds really really low. I've got an old inefficient car and £10 would do around 85 miles

Posted from TSR Mobile

My "old inefficient car" would do about 16 miles on a tenner. :wink:
Reply 45
Original post by JC.
My "old inefficient car" would do about 16 miles on a tenner. :wink:

Ouch!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 46
Original post by olop

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would love to get 85 miles on £10
Reply 47
thank you, I don't know why I hadn't twigged on earlier about it. is a lambda sensor the same thing as the EGR or 02 sensor?

How do you know so much about cars?

Yeah it's the o2 sensor. not sure about ERG.
If you unplug the lambda and your fuel economy doesn't change or changes very little its likely you have a faulty sensor.

http://www.lambdapower.co.uk/technotes/fitting_guide.asp

I don't know that much ahha. I just read a lot online and have a couple of mechanic mates.
Reply 48
What do you drive? My old Fiesta gets at least 50-60 miles on £10
Reply 49
Yeah it's the o2 sensor. not sure about ERG.
If you unplug the lambda and your fuel economy doesn't change or changes very little its likely you have a faulty sensor.

http://www.lambdapower.co.uk/technotes/fitting_guide.asp

I don't know that much ahha. I just read a lot online and have a couple of mechanic mates.

surely you shouldn't drive without the lambda sensor being plugged in?
Reply 50
surely you shouldn't drive without the lambda sensor being plugged in?

You shouldn't drive without one physically being there because you'll have an exhaust leak but it shouldn't do any damage driving one with an unplugged one. Although you shouldn't do this for too long.
The engine will run rich by default without the sensor.
Reply 51
I created a thread about how I seem to be getting low mileage for my money such as a mere 30- 35 miles on £10 whereas others on here claim they are getting between 50 - 80 miles on £10?

Today I had the middle section of my exhaust re sealed and fitted with a new clamp, also bought a new air filter so hopefully I'll see some improvement as a result of this.

Also I am planning on replacing my lambda sensor as it is faulty and I have been told on here that this could be wasting more fuel than necessary ?
Reply 52
You shouldn't drive without one physically being there because you'll have an exhaust leak but it shouldn't do any damage driving one with an unplugged one. Although you shouldn't do this for too long.
The engine will run rich by default without the sensor.

but if it is unplugged then it may as well not be in the car?? on my MOT test last year it picked up a minor leak of exhaust gases, would this be to do with lambda or the fact that the exhaust needing re- sealing (I had it re sealed today)? Also could a leak of exhaust gas waste fuel??
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
but if it is unplugged then it may as well not be in the car?? on my MOT test last year it picked up a minor leak of exhaust gases, would this be to do with lambda or the fact that the exhaust needing re- sealing (I had it re sealed today)? Also could a leak of exhaust gas waste fuel??

No because if it's physically not in the car then you've got a big hole in your exhaust. an unplugged one is still sealing the hole. You unplug it at the other end.
Original post by Steevee
Sounds like your fuel consumption is pretty damn high to me, thats about half of what I get for a tenner.

Or yours is pretty low. 10.58Mpg is pretty low
Reply 55
No because if it's physically not in the car then you've got a big hole in your exhaust. an unplugged one is still sealing the hole. You unplug it at the other end.

That makes a bit more sense, so it is not completely unplugged then? right...
Original post by de_monies
Or yours is pretty low. 10.58Mpg is pretty low

I don't really understand how mpg works, would you care to spend some of your precious time to share with me please?
Reply 56
I know 300 miles isn't amazing but would you be satisfied if you managed to get 300 miles from £50 in a petrol car?
It's not far off what I get; it all depends on what car it is tbh

Reply 58
Yes, it is neither fantastic nor bad, average I guess.

If you are driving mostly long distance in an economical car, it is fairly poor.
If you are driving mostly in cities in a big engine car it is exceptional.
Reply 59
Original post by InconspicuousGuy
It's not far off what I get; it all depends on what car it is tbh

What car do you have, the year and how many miles approx to £10 please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending