The Student Room Group

So by getting the lambda sensor replaced, will it save on fuel?

My tank was very almost empty before so I put £10 petrol in. Out of curiosity I checked the mileage before and after and apparently I covered 35 miles on £10, it feels to me it didn't last very long although it covered 35 miles, most of it was driving around town and a lot of stop/starting which uses more fuel, so is that about right?

Sometimes people give me £10 and say, ''that should last a couple days) when in truth, I can go for an hours - 2 hr drive and it'd be gone?

I just want to make sure I'm not running rich, if my car is very bad at fuel consumption then maybe I'm best looking for a new car?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Fuel consumption depends on your car, how you drive and where you drive. But as a general observation, 35 miles on £10 isn't good. What kind of car is it and where were you driving (motorways, country roads?)
Reply 2
Sounds like your fuel consumption is pretty damn high to me, thats about half of what I get for a tenner.
Reply 3
fuel is budgeted around 30p per mile so it sounds ok.
That's pretty low

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

That's an abysmal 21.16Mpg at a cost of 133p/litre
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I would say that is very low. I get around 70-80 miles for £10.
To fill my tank costs just under £50 and I get around 380 miles.
Reply 6
Original post by Leonidas12
I would say that is very low. I get around 70-80 miles for £10.
To fill my tank costs just under £50 and I get around 380 miles.

Maybe it my car then.

What car do you have? sounds much better on gas and is it petrol like mine or diesel
Reply 7
Original post by de_monies
That's ridiculously low

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

That's an abysmal 10.58Mpg at a cost of 133p/litre

That's low, but not awful for an older car in the city. My 1.4 Golf gets 15mpg, 20 if I'm lucky, driving around Swansea. That might be down to Swansea ****ing atrocious 'metro' system, requiring a set of traffic lights every 20 metres, but certainly city driving is horrendous for fuel consumption. On the motorway I see more like 40mpg.
Reply 8
Original post by No Regrets
Maybe it my car then.

What car do you have? sounds much better on gas and is it petrol like mine or diesel

Mazda 2 and it uses petrol. Not a bad little car :tongue:
I get around 50 miles to a tenner.
Reply 10
Original post by Leonidas12
Mazda 2 and it uses petrol. Not a bad little car :tongue:

How much are used ones going for then?

I wouldn't really know. I assume maybe between £3000 to £8000 maybe
My tank was very almost empty before so I put £10 petrol in. Out of curiosity I checked the mileage before and after and apparently I covered 35 miles on £10
How do you know you used £10 of petrol? Before and after what?
This is not how to measure fuel economy, so go away and do it properly!
Costs me about £60 to fill my tank from empty, and I get about 300-330 miles off that. I mostly drive around town but if it was motorway driving I'd get closer to 360-380. It's a Fabia vRS so I like to put my foot down a fair bit. It's costly :frown:
Reply 14
Depends whether you're driving a Panzer Tank or not?
Reply 15
Original post by RichyFrench
Costs me about £60 to fill my tank from empty, and I get about 300-330 miles off that. I mostly drive around town but if it was motorway driving I'd get closer to 360-380. It's a Fabia vRS so I like to put my foot down a fair bit. It's costly :frown:

That's about the same as my Golf tbh. It costs me about £50 to brim it from as far down as I dare let the needle go (no fuel light), and from that I get 300, maybe 320 miles on the motorway. Around town that'll barely get me 250, more like 200 miles. And the mk3 Golf with the 1.4 engine is one of the slowest cars known to man. I'd take the Fabia VRS thanks :tongue:
Original post by Nuffles
That's low, but not awful for an older car in the city. My 1.4 Golf gets 15mpg, 20 if I'm lucky, driving around Swansea. That might be down to Swansea ****ing atrocious 'metro' system, requiring a set of traffic lights every 20 metres, but certainly city driving is horrendous for fuel consumption. On the motorway I see more like 40mpg.

Wow. You guys get some pretty rubbish miles to the gallon! I'd get around 75 miles for a tenner on normal roads, and around 95 on the motorway
Original post by veedubbug
Depends whether you're driving a Panzer Tank or not?

Just don't replace it with a King Tiger...

£1700 onwards

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/mazda/mazda2/postcode/bd213er/radius/1500/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/fuel-type/petrol/sort/default

I'd be tempted to get a Vauxhall Astra 1.7l Diesel at the same price tbf (Does more Mpg)

I myself have a Honda Civic Hybrid IMA Executive Saloon

According to fuel calc, the Vauxhall Astra is cheaper to run, even with the increased fuel prices for diesel than mine (and is more powerful), by about £6 for every 10,000 miles, but my car only costs £30 to tax, as opposed to £140

But mine also cost a lot more (£3800 compared to say £2500)
My tank was very almost empty before so I put £10 petrol in. Out of curiosity I checked the mileage before and after and apparently I covered 35 miles on £10, it feels to me it didn't last very long although it covered 35 miles, most of it was driving around town and a lot of stop/starting which uses more fuel, so is that about right?

Sometimes people give me £10 and say, ''that should last a couple days) when in truth, I can go for an hours - 2 hr drive and it'd be gone?

I just want to make sure I'm not running rich, if my car is very bad at fuel consumption then maybe I'm best looking for a new car?

Are you driving a Humvee or a small private jet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending