The Student Room Group

What would you do? Would you pick the best university or the best subject?

Let's imagine. You just received an offer from a very prestigious university like Imperial, King's, UCL, LSE, Saint Andrews etc. (No need to mention Oxbridge, everyone will think of it!) But you know the course won't totally suit you and it's very likely to bore you more than anything else.

On the other hand, you've got an offer from a supposedly less prestigious uni, but still a brilliant one, like Glasgow university or Exeter, York, Lancaster... and the course is exactly what you want to do.

Which university would you pick? It looks wiser to choose the uni that offers you the course you want to study since you'll enjoy it and you'll be more motivated to achieve good grades etc. (And the unis I mentionned are still great ones.) But a place at a university like Oxford or UCL is precious... Wouldn't you feel bad at the sole thought of declining that offer?

And beyond reputation, is a uni like KCL really that better than York or Manchester? I don't think it's always the case and a place at York or Bristol can even be harder to get than a place at KCL, it depends on the subject, but prejudices die hard...

What would you do?
Reply 1
Do the course you want rather than the place you think would be 'better', unless you have an offer from Oxford or Cambridge. The Oxbridge reputation really is valuable, and gets you places. You probably would enjoy the courses quite a lot as well. But if you don't have an offer from there, pick your favourite course.
I think you think that there is more difference between these unis than there really is. In reality, there's naff all difference in terms of employability or 'prestige' between the likes of St Andrews, KCL, York and Exeter.
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
I think you think that there is more difference between these unis than there really is. In reality, there's naff all difference in terms of employability or 'prestige' between the likes of St Andrews, KCL, York and Exeter.

Yes, I think you're right... The thing is that I'm from France and I must admit that I'm really influenced by league tables and "reputation" and all that... Basically I've always been used to hear that places like King's were unrivalled by all those "unknown far off provincial universities" like Glasgow. I know it's not true but I can't help thinking about that.

I'm the kind of person to worry about this kind of thing :rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies :smile:
Reply 4
I'd go with the best subject anyday, even if it meant rejecting Oxbridge. There's no point in doing a course that makes you miserable for 3+ years, not to mention that most of the above mentioned universities have very few differences between each other in terms of employment.
Reply 5
I'd chose Lancaster because I live there :biggrin:

But honestly I would rather enjoy my course and still go to a good university, than go to a very prestigious one and not enjoy the course.
Original post by HeroManagement
Let's imagine. You just received an offer from a very prestigious university like Imperial, King's, UCL, LSE, Saint Andrews etc. (No need to mention Oxbridge, everyone will think of it!) But you know the course won't totally suit you and it's very likely to bore you more than anything else.

On the other hand, you've got an offer from a supposedly less prestigious uni, but still a brilliant one, like Glasgow university or Exeter, York, Lancaster... and the course is exactly what you want to do.

Which university would you pick? It looks wiser to choose the uni that offers you the course you want to study since you'll enjoy it and you'll be more motivated to achieve good grades etc. (And the unis I mentionned are still great ones.) But a place at a university like Oxford or UCL is precious... Wouldn't you feel bad at the sole thought of declining that offer?

And beyond reputation, is a uni like KCL really that better than York or Manchester? I don't think it's always the case and a place at York or Bristol can even be harder to get than a place at KCL, it depends on the subject, but prejudices die hard...

What would you do?

York is arguably on a par with KCL, however, it depends which subject. I hate when people judge a university overall when some universities are great for some subjects and average for others. If you'd rather go to York than KCL then go for it! Both are great unis. (Phew, that was hard not to be biased. I'm firming KCL over York at the moment!)

Anyways, in answer to your first question. I would choose course over prestige. For example, last year I was applying to study History (I dropped out, however, as I decided that English was the way for me!) and my teacher kept urging me to apply to LSE but their course just seemed so boring! I see it as I'd rather have a first from a good uni and have enjoyed my time there than a 2:1 from a prestigious uni which I didn't like. Thats why, if I get an offer, I'll be declining Durham for KCL.

Its odd really. When I was applying to Cambridge, who ultimately, unfortunately, rejected me, I didn't apply because their reputation. In fact, their reputation was a bit of a put off. I applied because their English course looked amazing and the place was beautiful and I liked the idea of the collegiate system.

So to me if you've got a choice between 2 top 30 unis I'd go course>prestige. However, of course I'd have second thoughts if it were a choice between say London Met and UCL.
Reply 7
Course Imo. Running out of enthusiasm/motivation is much more of a threat to degree students than anything else.

Course if you're going back to france people may assume everywhere outside london/oxbridge is provincial crap.
Reply 8
Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak
York is arguably on a par with KCL, however, it depends which subject. I hate when people judge a university overall when some universities are great for some subjects and average for others. If you'd rather go to York than KCL then go for it! Both are great unis. (Phew, that was hard not to be biased. I'm firming KCL over York at the moment!)

Yes I agree with you. I tend to distrust overall rankings and focus on tables according to subjects... Overall rankings are a supplementary indicator but better not take them too literally.
(By the way, congratulations for your offers :smile: )

Original post by Joinedup
Course Imo. Running out of enthusiasm/motivation is much more of a threat to degree students than anything else.

Course if you're going back to france people may assume everywhere outside london/oxbridge is provincial crap.

I must admit people here are pretty ignorant about unis in the UK (can't blame them) but anyway I have no intention of going back to France. Maybe things will happen differently but I plan to pursue my studies and my career in the UK.

And I guess you're all right, I couldn't see myself doing a degree I'd dislike, it'd be nothing else than pure folly. And what a waste of money and time!

Thank you guys :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HeroManagement
Yes, I think you're right... The thing is that I'm from France and I must admit that I'm really influenced by league tables and "reputation" and all that... Basically I've always been used to hear that places like King's were unrivalled by all those "unknown far off provincial universities" like Glasgow. I know it's not true but I can't help thinking about that.

I'm the kind of person to worry about this kind of thing :rolleyes:

Thanks for your replies :smile:

Yep, as you've already worked out, it's a load of nonsense. First thing to realise is that league tables don't measure prestige http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372

If you want a measure of prestige, then I think it's probably best to think of universities in a number of bands, essentially
Oxford / Cambridge
Rest of the Russell Group + St Andrews
1994 Group + Bath + Surrey + Reading
Ex-polytechnics (some of which are better than others, e.g. UWE is decent, London Met is not) and a few other little University Colleges, such as Harper Adams.

Now, if you look at the Russell Group you'll see that it's quite geographically spread out.

If you want to talk to another French person, then Anatheme is a member on here who recently graduated from Manchester and is still living in the UK so I'm sure she'll be able to give you a French perspective on these things.

If you want a measure of prestige, then I think it's probably best to think of universities in a number of bands, essentially
Oxford / Cambridge
Ex-polytechnics (some of which are better than others, e.g. UWE is decent, London Met is not) and a few other little University Colleges, such as Harper Adams.

I'd say Bath is more likely in a higher tier than Surrey/Reading, and the Russell Group also includes universities such as QMUL which I don't think many people would put on the same level of prestige as universities like Warwick.

As for the original question, don't choose Oxbridge just because it's Oxbridge. If a university is in the Russell Group (or another prestigious uni, like St Andrews) it means you're still going to get one of the best educations in the world. Pick the one with the best course and the best student life for you, it's expensive and it's you who's going to be living it for however many years.

Oxford / Cambridge

You forgot about Lancaster :tongue:
Choose the university that will stretch you the most. Don't pick the safe option! This is coming from someone who has some hindsight. It doesn't matter if your chosen university isn't as good as another, that means nothing in the long term, nor does your subject. You need to find a university that helps you adapt, grow and change as a person. To expand past the constraints of your home and your childhood to become a fully autonomous human being, capable of both surviving and aspiring to change.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending