The Student Room Group

AQA Historical Enquiry Discussion. All welcome.

I'm struggling to get my teeth into this course work, which is odd for me because I love course work.

I think it's because I have no idea of the structure of the piece or what the best utility of sources would be.

My course work will be the effect on Darwin's work on secularisation in Britain, however I'd love to hear from anyone who has either completed the course work, trying it now, just would just like to jump in and work it out.

My main question to be answered is:

What's the best thing to do about sources?

Should I go to the library and find books and articles and let them be my guide for my content, or begin content & try to find sources that match.

Any other suggestions on any aspect of the coursework is 100% welcome.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Noxiyu
I'm struggling to get my teeth into this course work, which is odd for me because I love course work.

I think it's because I have no idea of the structure of the piece or what the best utility of sources would be.

My course work will be the effect on Darwin's work on secularisation in Britain, however I'd love to hear from anyone who has either completed the course work, trying it now, just would just like to jump in and work it out.

My main question to be answered is:

What's the best thing to do about sources?

Should I go to the library and find books and articles and let them be my guide for my content, or begin content & try to find sources that match.

Any other suggestions on any aspect of the coursework is 100% welcome.

Thank you.

My Cw is on Russia 1905 - 2007 I found the notes/content first formed my argument and then got sources :smile:
Reply 2
I am really struggling with this c/w too so any help would be appreciated. My topic is on American Civil Rights
Reply 3
Original post by fattysaid
I am really struggling with this c/w too so any help would be appreciated. My topic is on American Civil Rights

Can I suggest using Spartacus Educational. I have completed my coursework on Civil rights in America, I am assuming you are doing the Black Civil rights and chosing a key figure and discussing whether or not they were the key figure of Civil rights?

Spartacus Educational is great for any coursework really as it has both primary and secondary soucres and good links to further reading.
Reply 4
Original post by DarkRoast
Can I suggest using Spartacus Educational. I have completed my coursework on Civil rights in America, I am assuming you are doing the Black Civil rights and chosing a key figure and discussing whether or not they were the key figure of Civil rights?

Spartacus Educational is great for any coursework really as it has both primary and secondary soucres and good links to further reading.

Thank you so much, the website was really helpful! Well for the c/w, you had to make up your own question so mine is on black women in the civil rights movement and whether they were leaders or not. Information isn't really what I am struggling with, it's more about the structure of the c/w. You have to lay it out in a specific way and mention certain things in order to enter the higher level brackets but the mark scheme is soo confusing, it literally makes no sense. So basically, I have the information, I just don't know how to lay it out :confused:
Reply 5
ah interesting choice of question. And structure is something I remember was tricky. the question we did was not exactly the same but our general lay out was;

Introduction and set the scene of chosen civil right activist
Context and back ground on them

The good they achieve

What they didn't achieve

then compare to other activist and conclude who we thought was

better each time

then overall conclusion.

I hope this helped in anyway.
Reply 6
Anyone have good examples of source evaluation? I really need A grade example, this is so hard to write without any good example as my teachers doesnt provide any examples...
I'm feeling exactly the same, my teacher has just said "do a source review" I'm doing about how industrialization changed the position of women in england 1850-1950 but no idea with my source review!
Reply 8
I got the sources handed to me for my coursework. Easy peasy😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone doing the source evaluation?

Private candidate a little confused over here ¬¬
Reply 10
Original post by bishopdon123
How is everyone doing the source evaluation?

Private candidate a little confused over here ¬¬

I'm seriously struggling with the S/E too. Teacher said we need to have at least 1 primary source but i'm not sure what constitutes a primary source!
Also, are people doing source evaluation within the actual essay?

EG. "this source is good" or whatever
Original post by fattysaid
Thank you so much, the website was really helpful! Well for the c/w, you had to make up your own question so mine is on black women in the civil rights movement and whether they were leaders or not. Information isn't really what I am struggling with, it's more about the structure of the c/w. You have to lay it out in a specific way and mention certain things in order to enter the higher level brackets but the mark scheme is soo confusing, it literally makes no sense. So basically, I have the information, I just don't know how to lay it out :confused:

Hey! I've noticed that the AQA Board has posted some example material and one on the same topic (perhaps it's yours) is posted and got 59/60. Congratulations!
I'm using it as a guide for mine as my topic is on women as well, but focusing on the position of women in Russian society (1856-1955). I'm struggling with my sources as most of them argue the same. Please any suggestions on how to carry on are welcome!!
Original post by smcoronado
Hey! I've noticed that the AQA Board has posted some example material and one on the same topic (perhaps it's yours) is posted and got 59/60. Congratulations!
I'm using it as a guide for mine as my topic is on women as well, but focusing on the position of women in Russian society (1856-1955). I'm struggling with my sources as most of them argue the same. Please any suggestions on how to carry on are welcome!!

Where's this example material?!
Has everyone on here been given a topic to do? my teacher has just sent us off to choose one from any period and then make up our own question, i'm finding it very vague and difficult to find a topic in which I can cover one hundred years and think up a suitable question. Any ideas?
Original post by Ivyjasper76
Has everyone on here been given a topic to do? my teacher has just sent us off to choose one from any period and then make up our own question, i'm finding it very vague and difficult to find a topic in which I can cover one hundred years and think up a suitable question. Any ideas?

woops
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply