The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

The BIG Accommodation Sticky

After looking through the Forum we thought it would be a good idea to give the space a bit of a revamp and create some useful threads for some of the most asked questions. And here is the first one......Our official guide to the Accommodation here at The University of Derby.

If you’re looking for a general FAQ about the University of Derby, that can be found here.

We also have a discussion thread for sports clubs and societies here.

If anyone has anything to add then please feel free.

All halls provide:

Cleaning

A cleaning team will clean the communal areas of the flat once per week (kitchen, hallway, communal shower/toilet and hallway). Make sure there isn’t anything to obstruct them, like pots and pans all over the kitchen. Your room and en suite facilities are your responsibility, to ensure your privacy.

Car Parking, Bike storage etc,

Car Park Permit (£270) and Motorbike Permit (£135) Annually

You will normally get an application form emailed to you along with your room offer, however spaces are limited so you need to complete the form ASAP in order to ensure you definitely get a space.

Bicycle storage is free of charge and all you need to do is contact the halls manager to sort it out.

All halls of residence provide outdoor courtyard type seating areas with benches.

Types of Room

All rooms have:

En-suite Facilities or a wash basin
A desk, bookshelves and a chair
Instant broadband (via cable)
Freeview TV and radio through your computer
Free internal* phone calls through your room phone (can also be topped up to make external phone calls)
*Free to all University extensions numbers.

Standard Rooms

In flats shared by 4 - 6 people and consist of a kitchen, shower room and toilet for flat mates to share.

Standard - Lonsdale

In flats shared by 7 - 8 people, so because of this there are 2 toilets and 2 shower rooms to share (all in one bathroom) as well as the kitchen.

Standard Plus - Lonsdale

In flats shared by 7 people, with 2 toilets, 2 shower rooms, a kitchen and a TV lounge for the flat mates to share.

En-suite

In flats for 4 - 6 people to share (4-8 in Buxton), each room has their own toilet, shower and wash basin plus a shared kitchen.

En-suite Plus - Sir Peter Hilton Only

There are 96 of these rooms available, each room has its own shower, toilet, wash basin and mini fridge. These rooms are in flats shared by 6 people and also have a shared kitchen and TV lounge.

Double Room - Flamsteed Court Only

There are 60 double rooms available, each in en-suite, part of a 2 bedroom apartment. Each apartment has a large, open plan living and dining area, well equipped kitchens with washing machine,microwave,toaster, kettle,cutlery and crockery, TV (licence paid), sofa and dining facilities and Wifi throughout the apartment.

Which Halls do I choose?

Flamsteed Court
Flamsteed Court is premium en suite apartment accommodation recently acquired by the University and newly available to returning and mature University students.
Located just off Kedleston Road and a two minute walk to the main campus site.

Room cost 2014/15
60 Double rooms - £135.03 p/w - £6481.44 for 48 weeks

St Christopher’s Court

10 minute walk to the city centre and a stone’s throw away from our Markeaton Street and Britannia Mill Campuses (5 minute leisurely stroll), it’s also close to our Kedleston road campus and is served by our regular UniBus service (there is also a free shuttle bus that goes between Kedleston road, Markeaton Street and Britannia Mill).

Room cost 2014/15

301 standard rooms - £94.78 p/w - £3980.76 for 42 weeks
4 Rooms for students with disabilities - £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks
26 En suite rooms - £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks
There is a laundry room with a number of large washers and dryers costing £2 for a standard wash and £1.20 for the dryers (this is the same in all halls), and a common will a wide flat screen TV, DVD player, pool table and table football.

Sir Peter Hilton Court

The University’s largest halls of residence and is a 5 minute walk from the city and is approximately 13 minutes’ walk to Markeaton Street and 8 minutes’ walk to Britannia Mill. It is also a walkable distance to Kedleston Road and is served by the UniBus service with the bus stop situated right outside the halls.

Room cost 2014/15

289 Standard Room - £94.78 p/w - £3980.76 for 42 weeks
6 Rooms for students with disabilities - £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks
32 En-suite Rooms £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks
96 En-suite Plus Rooms (Peter Hilton only) - £117.32 p/w - £4927.44 for 42 weeks
The common room has a flat screen TV, pool table and vending machine.

Princess Alice Court

Princess Alice is located 10 minutes’ walk away from the city centre and about 13 minutes’ walk from Markeaton street, 10 minutes’ walk to Britannia Mill and 30 minutes walking (or 8 minutes on the bus) to Kedleston Road. It also has a central courtyard that gives it a very communal feel.

Room costs 2014/15

322 Standard Rooms - £94.78 p/w - £3980.76 for 42 weeks
6 En-suite rooms for students with disabilities - £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks
35 En-Suite Rooms - £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks
The common room contains a flat screen TV, pool table and vending machines.

Nunnery Court

Nunnery court is located around the corner from the front entrance of Princess Alice and is a 10 minute walk to the city centre, 10 minute walk to Markeaton street, around a 6 minute walk to Britannia mill and 30 minute walk to Kedleston road. The UniBus service can also be caught from Princess Alice Court, which is about a 2 - 4 minute walk. Like Princess Alice, Nunnery Court has a very homely feel to it because of its smaller nature and quadrangle style layout.

Room costs 2014/15

292 Standard Rooms - £94.78 p/w - £3980.76 for 42 weeks
4 Rooms for Students with disabilities - £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks
12 En-suite Rooms - £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks
There is also a nice water feature in the centre of the courtyard.

Lonsdale Place

Slightly further out than the rest of our halls but is still only a 20 minute walk to Britannia Mill, 23 minutes to Markeaton street and around 43 minutes to Kedleston Road. Like all of our halls, Lonsdale is also served by our UniBus, so although it’s further out, it is still easily accessible.

Room costs 2014/15

119 Standard Rooms £94.78 p/w - £3980.76 for 42 weeks
174 Standard Plus Rooms (Lonsdale Only) - £100.03 p/w - £4201.26 for 42 Weeks
34 Large Standard Rooms (Lonsdale Only) - £98.70 p/w - £4145.40 for 42 weeks
29 Large Standard Plus Rooms (Lonsdale Only) - £103.81 p/w - £4360.02 for 42 weeks

Peak Court

Only a 5 minute walk from the city centre, 10-15 minutes’ walk to Britannia Mill and Markeaton Street and around 30 minutes’ walk to Kedleston Road. It also has a UniBus stop right outside. It is our only hall fully equipped with all En-suite rooms and because of this, houses a smaller number of students

Room costs 2014/15

4 Rooms for students with disabilities - £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks
243 En-Suite rooms - £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks

High Peak (Buxton)

High Peak is our most modern halls of residence.

Room costs 2014/15
5 Rooms for students with disabilities - £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks
283 En-Suite rooms - £112.98 p/w - £4745.16 for 42 weeks
(edited 10 years ago)
What to take with you?

Below is a very useful and extensive wiki entry on what to take with you to University.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/:What_To_Take_To_University
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Hi Parry,

You're more than welcome to PM us your questions!

Stacey
Reply 3
A facebook group for anyone staying in Lonsdale Hall from September!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/668421129850484/?bookmark_t=group
Updates for the 2014/15 academic year! All prices are for the next academic year.
Reply 5
If anyone is looking at living in princess Alice court get in touch !
Reply 6
Flat 2 Floor B Sir Peter Hilton
Flat 7, floor A, Peak Court.
Reply 8
I've not been allocated yet and it had been 4 weeks. They called me up to say they are putting me on first floor but that is literally all I've heard. No email or anything telling me where I am.

Do they usually take this long?
Flat 4 Floor C St Christophers Court
Sir Peter Hilton Court, floor B, flat 3 anyone?
Sir Peter Hilton Court, Flat 11, Floor B
So I do have a few questions which i havent really seen an answer too yet but yeah, I'm going into Sir Peter Hilton Court, with standard room.
Okay so, do we need a microwave between flatmates or will one already be there?
Do I need an Iron and board?
How much does it cost to dry clothing and use washing machines?
Is a lamp included in the room?
is the freshers ball strictly fancy dress?
can I use bluetack on the walls?
can I bring a tv with out paying for a license if its only used for a ps3?
Thats all haha these are just questions that i have thought about lately, if any one has seen the answers please reply xD
There is a microwave in the kitchen already,
Yes bring an iron and board, preferably a small one that's easy to set up in your room,
I'm unsure about the cost of washing and drying machines at the moment, but ask on the accommodation page on Facebook someone there will know,
No there is no lamp included in the room, just your roof light,
The freshers ball is themed, but you wont be penalized for wearing normal clothes,
I think bluetack leaves marks so its possible we wont be allowed it, but command hooks are very useful,
Yes it says on the "What to Bring" form that you can bring a TV if it is just for gaming, watching TV should be done on your computer,

What flat are you in? You should definitely join some of the Facebook pages if you haven't already :biggrin:
Does anyone know what internet speeds I should expect at Nunnery Court? I'm a programming student so I'll be using the internet for a lot of my time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending