The Student Room Group

1.2 or 1.4 for Motorway driving

Hi there,

I am looking to buy myself a new car (used). Looking at a Vauxhall Corsa C (2003-2006) SXi 16v Petrol. I commute to uni (Nottingham to Sheffield) about 3 times per week and do quite a lot of motorway driving. Both the 1.2 and 1.4 roughly do the same mpg (45ish), although the 1.2 has 75bhp, where as the 1.4 has 90bhp.

My question is should I go for a 1.2 or a 1.4?

(I currently drive a 1.4 Corsa B and this drives ok on the motorway, just looking for an updated model and I don't know that much about the Corsa C)

Cheers
Reply 1
I have done both on about the same distance and its deffo 1.4

1.2 is ok for a couple of junctions
Reply 2
1.4 will be more bearable on the motorway, presuming it's geared higher to match the higher power output (I'm sure it is).

My 1.2 Corsa used to properly drink it on the motorway too, you might find that the 1.4 is actually more economical as it won't be straining so much at 70mph.

It also means you have a bit more shove for overtaking.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Why bother getting a 1.2 or 1.4 Corsa? There's the Renault 1.2 TCE which has 100 horsepower, and has the economy of a 1.2, with the power of a 1.4. You should find several decent models well under £5,000. I got an '08 version with 26,000 miles on the clock, and it's good!
Reply 4
Original post by JOR2010
You should find several decent models well under £5,000.

How much??! O_o If you can find ones that are three grand south of £5k, you might have a fair comparison.
Reply 5
Don't get a Corsa for motorway driving. A bigger engine isn't going to make it any more bearable.
Reply 6
Thanks guys.

The reason I'm after a Corsa is because they are cheap on insurance, quite economical, and fairly reliable. I'm not looking to spend much more than £1500-£2000.
Reply 7
For regular motorway work you want as big a car and engine as your budget will strech to.

VW Passat TDI would be my reccomendation given your requirements.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cdchris2
Thanks guys.

The reason I'm after a Corsa is because they are cheap on insurance, quite economical, and fairly reliable. I'm not looking to spend much more than £1500-£2000.

How many different cars have you looked into for insurance prices? They're not always the cheapest.
Reply 9
Ditto on the Passat
Reply 10
I imagine 1.2 will be hard on the motorway as you need to gain as much speed as possible. Especially from slipways and such. Though, it's still bearable if you stick in the left - middle lane most of the time.
Reply 11
sheff - nott isn't far. You might as well just turn the radio up and get on with it.
Reply 12
Hi I have vauxhall Corsa 1.4 auto 11 plate just wondering if it's ok to do long journeys in it.nottingham to Sutton on sea near mablethope as just brought static caravan
Original post by Elsie g
Hi I have vauxhall Corsa 1.4 auto 11 plate just wondering if it's ok to do long journeys in it.nottingham to Sutton on sea near mablethope as just brought static caravan

Should have made a new thread rather than bumping one made 5 years ago

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending