The Student Room Group

2 A-levels on the same day?

I've just found out two of my exams have landed on the same day a couple of hours apart. The problem is that they're in two different colleges miles apart. There's no way i could make it to the second exam on time.

Is it possible to request to do an exam at a different time?
Reply 1
I dont think so. Could you not get one of the colleges to do both exams
Reply 2
I had two A - Level exams on one day. My Birthday. Cheers
Original post by Hackett
I had two A - Level exams on one day. My Birthday. Cheers

Obviously didn't read OPs post. In two different places miles apart.

(OP wtf are you at 2 different colleges for anyway..?)
Reply 4
Original post by heirloom
I dont think so. Could you not get one of the colleges to do both exams

I can't, different exam boards. I needed to find another college so that i could retake an A-level I did a couple years ago.
Reply 5
You can turn up slightly late (10-30 minutes?)?

Depends how far away they are.

I'm assuming you have one at 9:00 - *:**

Then 1:30 --->

How long is first exam, and how far (timewise) away is the other place?
Reply 6
Original post by MattDel
I can't, different exam boards. I needed to find another college so that i could retake an A-level I did a couple years ago.

At my sitxh form we did exams from different boards, obviously not for the same subject. Could you not find another exam centre that would allow you to do both boards in their building
you can turn up to gcse's up to a hour late if you follow the right procedure, so im guessing you can do the same with a-levels, phone the second college and ask them if you can do that, they should allow it
Reply 8
Original post by MattDel

I think you could still sit both of them in the same place. As long as you pay for the cost of sitting the exam, I can't see why the college wouldn't let you sit it. I was in a similar situation - self studying a subject by an exam board that my school didn't normally offer, but they arranged for me to sit in there anyway and got an invigilator in at that time (they were nice enough to pay for it all as well)
Reply 9
First exam is two hours and it would take me over 2 hours to get to the second. Looking again, it is possible but I'd be leaving myself very little time to get there
Reply 10
Original post by ambbs
I think you could still sit both of them in the same place. As long as you pay for the cost of sitting the exam, I can't see why the college wouldn't let you sit it. I was in a similar situation - self studying a subject by an exam board that my school didn't normally offer, but they arranged for me to sit in there anyway and got an invigilator in at that time (they were nice enough to pay for it all as well)

I've never heard that before. My college said i would have to find another college and sit the exam there as a private candidate. At this point, i think it may be too late to change anything anyway
Speak to both centres and ask what they want to do to make it possible.

They should be able to arrange something (sitting the exam later, sitting the exam in a different centre, one of the staff giving you a lift) but unless you tell them about the timetabling clash they wont know about it.
Reply 12
Original post by MattDel
First exam is two hours and it would take me over 2 hours to get to the second. Looking again, it is possible but I'd be leaving myself very little time to get there

How are you getting there? Couldn't you get a taxi just to get to the second exam and then go home as you would normally?
Reply 13
Original post by MattDel
I've never heard that before. My college said i would have to find another college and sit the exam there as a private candidate. At this point, i think it may be too late to change anything anyway

Its not too late as I remember last year after getting the results for jan exams in march we had a couple of weeks to decide whether we wanted to resit any exams and even that was a week or so before the exam board deadline
Reply 14
Original post by Legobricks
How are you getting there? Couldn't you get a taxi just to get to the second exam and then go home as you would normally?

I suppose i'll have to get a lift if i want to get there in time. I'm hoping at the moment though that i can sort something out with my college to make this easier.
Reply 15
Original post by MattDel

I don't think it would be too late to get a different centre to enter you for the exam, if that's what you mean - you can be entered for exams just days before, although it costs more to do enter the later you leave it. If your college isn't prepared to make any extra arrangements for you so you can sit both there though then there's not a lot you can do apart from sit it somewhere else like you said (although it may be worth a try to go back to your college, explain the difficulty of your situation and that you're prepared to cover an extra costs and they may just agree to do it). I guess I was quite lucky that my school were prepared to do it for me, hope you manage to get it all sorted :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by MattDel
I've just found out two of my exams have landed on the same day a couple of hours apart. The problem is that they're in two different colleges miles apart. There's no way i could make it to the second exam on time.

Is it possible to request to do an exam at a different time?

It is not a legitimate reason to be allowed to move the time of an exam. If you do not have time to travel between the centres then you will need to move them both to the same one, however you can manage that. Almost all centres are registered for (as a minimum) AQA, Edexcel and OCR so you need to persuade one of the centres to let you take both there. They don't have to have any other candidates for that exam, merely to be registered with that exam board and willing to let you do it. Go and talk to them both asap - the A level entry deadline (for normal prices) is 21 March but they are likely to want to have all their entries sorted by 15 March at the latest so they have time to process them all and submit them to the exam boards by the deadline. Entries double in price after 21 March.
Reply 17
I'll ask my college about sorting this out. I've already paid for my application into the second college so I don't know if it's too late to change that or not.

Thanks for all the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest