The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Accommodation for Nursing Students at ninewells?

Hi there,

I recently found out I get to go and study child nursing at Dundee in September (yay!) and I've been looking at possibilities for accommodation.
The halls of residence seem really expensive, but I've heard Ninewells offer student accommodation for nurses at a much cheaper rate. The information I can find about that is really sparse so I was wondering does anybody have any insights into it? Like what's it like? How do I go about applying for it? How long is the contract for?

I really appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Cheers! :smile:
Reply 1
I got an unconditional for child nursing too :smile: im planning on staying at ninewells as well :smile: I emailed them and they said that its £9 per night so If we stay for say 2 weeks one weekend off, 2 weeks one weekend off etc is is 28x9 =£252 which is so much cheaper than uni halls :biggrin: and you can stay for the whole three years if you like :biggrin:x
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Ooh that's great.. thanks! I'll prob bump into you in September then lol :smile: I'm so excited about this course its not true.
I've not heard the best things from other students about the nursing residences.
However, you get what you pay for I guess!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ps did they give you any inkling about what the facilities are or what the living situations are? I mean I know with the uni accommodation all the rooms are ensuite and you share a kitchen and a living room... I'm going to email them tomorrow at some point anyway I'll let you know if I find out anything :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by lucyhol1012
I've not heard the best things from other students about the nursing residences.
However, you get what you pay for I guess!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok thank :smile: I was kind of expecting to hear that but hoping I wouldn't you know? You're right enough mind you, you do get what you pay for. The reason why I'm looking into the nurses accommodation is cause it is so much cheaper than halls, and I'm trying to make my bursary stretch as far as it will go. Hope you don't mind me asking, are you a student nurse? Did / do you stay at one of the uni's residences? How do you make your bursary stretch?

Sorry its like the Spanish inquisition lol.
Original post by childnurse789
Oh ok thank :smile: I was kind of expecting to hear that but hoping I wouldn't you know? You're right enough mind you, you do get what you pay for. The reason why I'm looking into the nurses accommodation is cause it is so much cheaper than halls, and I'm trying to make my bursary stretch as far as it will go. Hope you don't mind me asking, are you a student nurse? Did / do you stay at one of the uni's residences? How do you make your bursary stretch?

Sorry its like the Spanish inquisition lol.

I'm afraid I'm not a nurse sorry. I spent a lot of time with some of the nurses last year, they definitely know how to have lots of fun :smile:

The residences are pretty basic, most of the people I know stayed there long enough to find other people to live with and then moved out to a standard flat which is much cheaper than halls.

From what I've heard the nurses halls are lacking a lot compared to uni halls. Uni halls are okay, but if you're wanting more for your money I'd look at a place called The Hub. I didn't get into halls in my first year so went there instead. It's student halls but anyone from Dundee uni, Abertay uni or Dundee college can live there.
Compared to uni halls it's a wee bit cheaper but you get a double bed and much bigger shower in your ensuite.

The nicest of the uni halls are Belmont and Heathfield. Belmont tower is quite outdated and you share with up to 8 people!
Seafield is nice but a wee bit outdated too. And westpark are way out from campus.

In uni accommodation you only get a single bed. But you get a big desk. There is a fair bit of storage space but a couple of my friends struggled as they had so many clothes.

Are you coming back for many open days or anything?
From what I've heard of the nurses residences are basic but liveable. They just lack a few things. Most people I know stayed for about 4 months and found a flat. In Dundee the average rent for a student flat is about £280 if you're sharing with at least one person. And that's a month :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
What's the Ninewells campus like for non-nurses?
Original post by Heizenburg
What's the Ninewells campus like for non-nurses?

In what context? Are you wanting to stay there? Are you a medic?

Quick Reply

Latest