The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Gill Street South/Byron 2013!

Was set on Gill Street, but for £300 more, these look far nicer and it's really not that much money considering you'll be living there for a year. Will be good to be in brand new rooms.

Only thing putting me off is if there aren't as many freshers due to price?

I'd recommend going here though!

549306_10151509793227082_1513101490_n.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Did you find any photos of the rooms as all I could find was the small ones on the NTU website! I am stuck between one of the new ones or private accommodation, I'm just worried about how many freshers will stay in private accommodation
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by LucyDavies94
Did you find any photos of the rooms as all I could find was the small ones on the NTU website! I am stuck between one of the new ones or private accommodation, I'm just worried about how many freshers will stay in private accommodation

58404_10151509799842082_173436685_n.jpg

There you are! I'm not sure tbh!
SeeI don't know if it's just me but those rooms look so small for £133 a week!
Reply 4
I'm thinking of staying in one of the new ones too. I want to ask them if its just for freshers etc because if we get to choose our own block/floor/room then how do we know we wont end up with lots of non freshers?

If you are guaranteed to be put together with freshers then I'm pretty sure that the social side will be just as good as any other accommodation.

That's what I was thinking! When I go to the open day next weekend I'm going to compare the room sizes of Gill street and Gill Street South/Byron.

Original post by Forde
I'm thinking of staying in one of the new ones too. I want to ask them if its just for freshers etc because if we get to choose our own block/floor/room then how do we know we wont end up with lots of non freshers?

If you are guaranteed to be put together with freshers then I'm pretty sure that the social side will be just as good as any other accommodation.

That's what I was thinking! When I go to the open day next weekend I'm going to compare the room sizes of Gill street and Gill Street South/Byron.

Gill streets rooms are 4.2 x 2.7 and Gill street south rooms are 4.7 x 2.4.

The beds are 6'9 long in south though, compared to Gill Streets 6' and I'm 6'4 so it's kinda important haha!
Original post by Forde

I'm going next weekend too! But the buildings are nowhere near done so it just depends whether they have like a show room that we can view.. I've arranged to go and see a room at the glasshouse and Russell view which are both private accommodations just under 10 minutes away :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by JakeyyB
Gill streets rooms are 4.2 x 2.7 and Gill street south rooms are 4.7 x 2.4.

The beds are 6'9 long in south though, compared to Gill Streets 6' and I'm 6'4 so it's kinda important haha!

Ah so they are pretty much the same then, how do you even know all that information?!

I'm going next weekend too! But the buildings are nowhere near done so it just depends whether they have like a show room that we can view.. I've arranged to go and see a room at the glasshouse and Russell view which are both private accommodations just under 10 minutes away :smile:

That's what the pictures are from, a show room so I assume we can look round it at the open day.
Reply 8
Original post by Forde
Ah so they are pretty much the same then, how do you even know all that information?!

That's what the pictures are from, a show room so I assume we can look round it at the open day.

Their website says a showroom will be in the foyer of Newton Arkwright (bottom right of campus) for the new hall :smile:
Reply 9
Am currently a first year at ntu, byron house/gill street south are supposed to be amazing! byron house has its own gym and has lifts, gonna be crazy!!
Reply 10
I want to be with freshers, won't the price put other freshers off? Byron looks amazing!
Reply 11
I think because its new, alot of people are going for the new accomodation, byron has its own gym too, as far as i know!

People dont realise that gill street doesnt have a common room, no sofas, no tv.....but byron and new gill street south have massive kitchens, a tv, comfy sofas :biggrin: (one of the things we so should have had at gill street for the price we pay)
Reply 12

Alot of the private accomodation is better, but sometimes there arent alot of freshers, from what I have heard from ppl, but the rooms are decent sizes and kitchen are amazing :smile:
Reply 13
The new ones are looking really good I'm really tempted now over gill street
Reply 14
Original post by weeknd5000
I think because its new, alot of people are going for the new accomodation, byron has its own gym too, as far as i know!

People dont realise that gill street doesnt have a common room, no sofas, no tv.....but byron and new gill street south have massive kitchens, a tv, comfy sofas :biggrin: (one of the things we so should have had at gill street for the price we pay)

Where does it say you get a TV? Why are people choosing GSS over Byron? Byron's above a gym/cafe and either above or next to the new SU!
Reply 15
Original post by ionaboner
Where does it say you get a TV? Why are people choosing GSS over Byron? Byron's above a gym/cafe and either above or next to the new SU!

I spoke to the people at student services (Im currently at gill street) and they told me you get a tv. I dont really understand why ppl choose GSS over Byron!

Byron has lifts, cafe and gym. GSS doesnt, as far as im aware!

Plus I was told the rooms in Byron House are a bit bigger that GSS!
I don't know what I want to do about accommodation.
Either spend the extra £30 a week for Bryon or go with Sandby for £101. But the new ones look so nice :frown: plus you're only a fresher once.. whats everybody else thinking
Original post by kelseyjherring
I don't know what I want to do about accommodation.
Either spend the extra £30 a week for Bryon or go with Sandby for £101. But the new ones look so nice :frown: plus you're only a fresher once.. whats everybody else thinking

I went to look at Sandby and really didn't like the look of it! The rooms are really quite dark, the kitchens are really small for the number of people in them and they are in corridors not flat, so anyone can walk in and use your kitchen. The new ones should be a lot better but it's just the fact that they are so much more expensive!
I went to look at Sandby and really didn't like the look of it! The rooms are really quite dark, the kitchens are really small for the number of people in them and they are in corridors not flat, so anyone can walk in and use your kitchen. The new ones should be a lot better but it's just the fact that they are so much more expensive!

I was going to look at Sandby on the applicant open day but I have heard it's a bit grotty :/ I don't like the thought of possibly sharing a kitchen with 12 people with chances of people randomly walking in but it's a lot cheaper than the new ones :frown:
But the new ones look so much brighter and nicer, just so expensive so I'm sort of swaying towards Byron because it just seems like a happier place to be! haha :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
At first I was thinking goldsmith court, but then I changed my mind to gill street and had my mind set on it. Now I'm seeing all this about Byron, and I think I'd be mad not to go there considering it's only £8 a week more than gill street, and much better value for money, just worried about the amount of freshers that will want to go there :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending