The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 1
When I applied for the £1000 additional grant, i rang the university up and got them to send me a form.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Rang the uni..spoke to about 5 different people and they only answer I got is that it would be paid automatically in to my account...and they'll have my details because of loans and stuff...

...but i applied for my loans through my LEA..so the uni wont have my information...and the bursaries depend on family income so they will need me to fill an application surely...and the only information they have is the stuff on the internet or a leaflet..which i already have and it doesn't say how to apply...grr...

...am I the only person applying for things like these? There is so much money available for students...but no one hardly ever knows about it if you get me..people I speak to are like..huh? when I say about it...grr...
Reply 3
LEA gives your details to university, and vice versa. The student finance centre in main building handles all this kinda of stuff.

The standard maximum grant is £1000 for the academic year if im not mistaken.
Reply 4
dingaling
am I the only person applying for things like these?

I would if i knew how . . .
Reply 5
what are the conditions for bursairies?
Reply 6
Depends on which uni you go to. For example Manchester are offering £5000 per year to anyone who gets 3 A grades at A Level and who is on a low income. Some will only offer £300, I think. Check out the uni's website.
Reply 7
The LEA shouldn't be able to pass on my information to anyone surely?

I think I can get £1700 depending on family income...there's an extra £300 i read somewhere....

...there is also £750 for taking the degree course that I'm taking...

...how come no one in the uni could tell me how to apply? has anyone in the past applied for things like these?

Alchemy..you said you filled in an application form didn't you...
Reply 8
dingaling
The LEA shouldn't be able to pass on my information to anyone surely?

I'm sure there was a box on the student loan form that you could tick so the uni would receive your financial details and therefore be able to give you any bursaries automatically.

Ali
Reply 9
or, you put the information down on the form.

I rang up and asked for a form, they mailed me it, I applied, got accepted shortly after I arrived and then picked cheque up from the university bursaries office.
Reply 10
OOh im gonna be doing marketing and i got ABB....any chance for a bursary for me....?
Reply 11
Bursaries do not go by what course your on or what grades you got, but simply upon your ability to pay your fees.

(This may have changed with the introduction of top up fees)
Reply 12
It's al sorted now...I think...
Reply 13
theres a box on the loan form saying if you want your details passed onto the uni-ive no idea what happens with youre insurance university if thats the one you get into though as the form only has space for your first choice uni
Reply 14
Na...the uni has sent me a letter asking if I would like them to access my information from the LEA...maybe there was a box on the LEA application form but I can't really remember...I don't know why they'd make the effort to ask because it is the uni's responsibility so...

Latest