The Student Room Group

Trig help needed!

On this question: http://gyazo.com/44905cc946c618be60e8027b4ccf4dc8

I'm struggling on working out the length, I've tried both sine and cosine rules and not sure which one to use however with both, I'm getting an answer of around 46 which is wrong, could anyone help please?

(It may be that my diagram/angles/lengths are wrong but when using them to work out the first part of (b) I got the right answer)

Thanks!

IMAG1463.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Which length are you struggling to work out? It looks like you got all the information you need to solve the problem.
Reply 2
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Which length are you struggling to work out? It looks like you got all the information you need to solve the problem.

Sorry! I meant the angle
Reply 3
The length is correct.

To find the angle θa \theta_a use the sine rule. Since you know a side and an opposite already (the side and angle you just worked out).

But then since this is the bearing you'll need to take away the angle θa \theta_a and that angle next to θa \theta_a and take both away from 360o 360^o
(edited 11 years ago)
Using the angle 110 and length of side 16.5km, you can use the sine rule to work out either of the other two angles.
Reply 5
You should use the cosine rule with:

a = ?
b = 12
c = 8
A = 30 + ( 180 - 100 )

to find the bearing find angle B and add 30o
Reply 6
Original post by Secret.
On this question: http://gyazo.com/44905cc946c618be60e8027b4ccf4dc8

I'm struggling on working out the length, I've tried both sine and cosine rules and not sure which one to use however with both, I'm getting an answer of around 46 which is wrong, could anyone help please?

(It may be that my diagram/angles/lengths are wrong but when using them to work out the first part of (b) I got the right answer)

You need to use the sine rule for the angle

Not sure how you are getting 46

The answer seems to be 057
Reply 7
Original post by SherlockHolmes
Using the angle 110 and length of side 16.5km, you can use the sine rule to work out either of the other two angles.

Original post by the bear
You should use the cosine rule with:

a = ?
b = 12
c = 8
A = 30 + ( 180 - 100 )

to find the bearing find angle B and add 30o

Original post by TenOfThem
You need to use the sine rule for the angle

Not sure how you are getting 46

The answer seems to be 057

I'm getting the wrong answer doing:

Sin A / 12 = Sin (110) / 16.5
and rearranging gives an answer of 43.11..., which values have I gotten wrong here?
Reply 8
Original post by Secret.

and rearranging gives an answer of 43.11..., which values have I gotten wrong here?

That is correct but A is not the angle that you want
Reply 9
Original post by Secret.

TenofThem did sin(b)8=sin(110)16.5 \frac {sin(b)}{8} = \frac {sin(110)}{16.5}

You've used the sine rule to find θa \theta_a straight away, which is just valid.

Now that you've got angle θa \theta_a , do the standard procedure to turn that into a bearing.
Reply 10
That is correct but A is not the angle that you want

Ohh right, I got the answer now thanks!

Also, why does it give wrong answer if I tried to calculate A directly?
Reply 11
Original post by Secret.

It doesn't, you've just got a different angle.
Original post by Secret.

Not sure what you mean?
Reply 13
Original post by 0x2a
TenofThem did sin(b)8=sin(110)16.5 \frac {sin(b)}{8} = \frac {sin(110)}{16.5}

You've used the sine rule to find θa \theta_a straight away, which is just valid.

Now that you've got angle θa \theta_a , do the standard procedure to turn that into a bearing.

I'm sorry but how would I do that? From 43.11... :O?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Secret.
I'm sorry but how would I do that? From 043.11... :O?

The angle on top of θa \theta_a is 80o 80^o due to interior angles adding up to 180 degrees.

Now take 80 degrees and angle θa \theta_a away from 180, and you get 57 degrees. Then add 180 to this and you've got your bearing.
Original post by Secret.
I'm sorry but how would I do that? From 43.11... :O?

Do you know what angle you are actually trying to find?
Reply 16
Do you know what angle you are actually trying to find?

b, I think? I was trying to work out a before that's why I was getting a different answer, but now I'm confused even more :P

Original post by 0x2a
The angle on top of θa \theta_a is 80o 80^o due to interior angles adding up to 180 degrees.

Now take 80 degrees and angle θa \theta_a away from 180, and you get 57 degrees. Then add 180 to this and you've got your bearing.

Sorry, slightly confused but isn't the angle on top of theta a, 110? or do you mean If I extend the north line down and make that in to a separate triangle?
Original post by Secret.
b, I think?

You are trying to find 30+b

That is the bearing of the 16.5 line
Reply 18
Original post by Secret.
b, I think?

Sorry, slightly confused but isn't the angle on top of theta a, 110? or do you mean If I extend the north line down and make that in to a separate triangle?

Yup, that's what I was getting at :tongue:

Just getting angle 30 + B and adding it on to 180 degrees (alternate angles) is a much faster way though. But it's good to have knowledge of many ways to solve a particular problem.
Reply 19
Original post by Secret.
b, I think? I was trying to work out a before that's why I was getting a different answer, but now I'm confused even more :P

You are trying to find 30+b

That is the bearing of the 16.5 line

Damn, I understand now, sorry for the trouble and THANKS! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest