The Student Room Group

English Literature AS level Coursework - Comparison Essay

Hi!
So I have to write an essay which compares the differences and similarities between Tess of the D'Urbervilles (by Thomas Hardy) and A Woman of No Importance (by Oscar Wilde).

I've got all my main points sorted out, I'm just very unsure about how to finish off each paragraph after I've compared. My teacher tells me to write a mini conclusion to conclude the point, however, I'm not quite sure what he means by that?
Also, I tend to just repeat what I write in my introduction for the conclusion, so any tips for a better conclusion?
Any other tips in general would be extremely useful too!

Many thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Your teacher just means you should try and round off your point at the end of each paragraph :smile: lets say you've used a quote then explained it, your final point for that paragraph should reinforce your point further.

And I used to have the same problem with introduction/conclusions. What you should do is save your best idea until your conclusion so you're not just whittling away about nothing. Then finalise the essay with one last sentence once again reiterating your overall point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by vianli
Hi!
So I have to write an essay which compares the differences and similarities between Tess of the D'Urbervilles (by Thomas Hardy) and A Woman of No Importance (by Oscar Wilde).

I've got all my main points sorted out, I'm just very unsure about how to finish off each paragraph after I've compared. My teacher tells me to write a mini conclusion to conclude the point, however, I'm not quite sure what he means by that?
Also, I tend to just repeat what I write in my introduction for the conclusion, so any tips for a better conclusion?
Any other tips in general would be extremely useful too!

Many thanks! :smile:

I was also on AQA A Victorian Lit for AS (I presume you are?) but did Jane Eyre and A Doll's House for coursework - and got full marks. I've just checked my essay and I didn't round off each paragraph particularly - I just moved on to the next paragraph when I said what I wanted to say, but I guess I did make sure that I finished each paragraph with a particularly snappy, relevant point. But then I'm a bit maverick so I would stick with your teacher's advice.

My normal conclusion mode is to repeat the introduction so I see where you are coming from, but for my coursework my teacher (I remember this very vividly!) deleted my entire conclusion to cut down on my words. I think that's a bit extreme! However, I'd probably condense what you've said in the introduction substantially into the most important points and try to put a new spin on it and perhaps end with a point that is, or at least feels new.

I'm very happy to give more tips but I'm aware I haven't given very helpful advice so far and am not sure what to say. But if you have any other questions about this spec (hardly anyone on TSR does it), then do please quote me :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you! Your advice has actually helped me, no matter how unhelpful you thought it was.
I was wondering how you dealt with using the same words/phrases?
By that I mean, for example I have a feeling I'm using the word "traditional" and "conventional" too much. I have tried using a thesaurus, but I just don't feel the other words have the same meaning I'm trying to get across...
Reply 4
Original post by Kalliope
I was also on AQA A Victorian Lit for AS (I presume you are?) but did Jane Eyre and A Doll's House for coursework - and got full marks. I've just checked my essay and I didn't round off each paragraph particularly - I just moved on to the next paragraph when I said what I wanted to say, but I guess I did make sure that I finished each paragraph with a particularly snappy, relevant point. But then I'm a bit maverick so I would stick with your teacher's advice.

My normal conclusion mode is to repeat the introduction so I see where you are coming from, but for my coursework my teacher (I remember this very vividly!) deleted my entire conclusion to cut down on my words. I think that's a bit extreme! However, I'd probably condense what you've said in the introduction substantially into the most important points and try to put a new spin on it and perhaps end with a point that is, or at least feels new.

I'm very happy to give more tips but I'm aware I haven't given very helpful advice so far and am not sure what to say. But if you have any other questions about this spec (hardly anyone on TSR does it), then do please quote me :smile:

Hi again lol, for my coursework im comparing how women are restricted by society in A dolls house and tess of the d'urbervilles. Do you have any advice on A dolls house please? also any advice on how to structure it thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Kalliope
I was also on AQA A Victorian Lit for AS (I presume you are?) but did Jane Eyre and A Doll's House for coursework - and got full marks. :smile:

Is it possible that I can have a read of your essay? I'm doing edexcel AS Literature and am really struggling with essays / using all A0's enough. And as you have full marks, I'm sure it will be helpful.
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending