The Student Room Group

Would you rather your children were bullied or the bully?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
This response has nothing to do with my post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither did yours have to do with my post. It was a generalization from you that I want my child to bully people because it's happened to me.
Original post by jam277
Neither did yours have to do with my post. It was a generalization from you that I want my child to bully people because it's happened to me.

I was referring to you saying you would beat your kid if it was a bully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
I was referring to you saying you would beat your kid if it was a bully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd talk to him to reason, but if that doesn't work then I'll have to resort to more drastic measures as I'm not having that. Not bullying, discipline more like so he doesn't lose his way.
Well, if he is the bully then I am to blame whereas if he is being bullied, it just means he is a victim. Obviously I'd rather neither occurred, but as I was bullied throughout school I can at least empathise with my son/daughter, if they were the bully I'd feel that I had failed as a parent.
Stupid dichotomy, it doesn't need to be either.
Original post by forfrosne
Stupid dichotomy, it doesn't need to be either.

As stated in my OP.

This is a hypothetical where you choose one or the other and explain why.
I know I just don't feel it's a useful hypothetical because not only does it not teach us anything it's not a situation that has any basis in reality.

If I really had to answer though, I'd rather my child were bullied because it would reflect better upon their character and I could at least help them through.
Original post by forfrosne
I know I just don't feel it's a useful hypothetical because not only does it not teach us anything it's not a situation that has any basis in reality.

If I really had to answer though, I'd rather my child were bullied because it would reflect better upon their character and I could at least help them through.

to rebut your first point I think people's responses to this have been very insightful. Most people here have experienced some kind of bullying and some have experienced being on the giving hand. In my opinion, it's very interesting to see how people's experiences shape how they view the issue of bullying. Ok, in reality it can be one, the other, neither or both so in some respects this doesn't really have any application because no rational person would ever want their child to be anything but neither. However, I don't think that's so much the point here :smile: The point is just to see what people's attittudes are towards both sides of bullying.
NEITHER Why ?

yeah my mate LM2003 was just banned from this site accused of advertising when she was trying to help. Like we students work for hi flying companies.
Yeah she was bullied by the MODs on this site not even given the chance to say sorry I made a mistake, or have stuff explained, just banned and she has serious MS, now that's bullying bigtime and from the student room bigwigs !
Hello, I am just wondering if it would be possible to discuss any cases of cyber bullying with any of you who have been victims of it.
I am writing an article on bullying and to have first hand accounts from victims would be a big help to me.
Doing this would also raise awareness and i think will help other victims of bullying come forward.

Thanks
Original post by AspiringGenius

Even so, I think most people out of their humanity would say they would rather thair child be the victim. It shows a better reflection of them.

Does it fuck. The whole point of parenthood is putting your child above everyone else. People who raise their kids to be wimps because they were are a disgrace.
Original post by green.tea
Does it ****. The whole point of parenthood is putting your child above everyone else. People who raise their kids to be wimps because they were are a disgrace.

A bit harsh isn't it?
The term "Wimp" is one who is belittled by others, however, belittling others is derogatory in many aspects and shows that the only way you can best someone is by making them feel small?

I have known MANY people who easily tower above me (about 6'2) - I am 5'7 and were far stronger (or even the same size) than me or smarter than me and most have the sense to not make people feel small.

I do not like making people feel bad because it is who I am and if you get please from doing this (not saying you but people in general), I believe you fit the term "sadist" and this often escalates to further and more serious problems.

Am I right or wrong?
The way I dealt with bullies was that I used their own ego against them.

Once, there was someone who was throwing paper at me in one class (when I was 17) and since everyone knew I was gay, I said there was something written on it and it said "I love you" (which it didn't but still) and then the teacher noticed him throw it (don't think the teachers knew) and then I said it said "I love you", he then said he was aiming for the bin before someone pointing out the bin was on the other side of the room. He eventually got himself into a hole so deep he couldn't get out of it and shut up.

Then the whole class sorta, well, joined in a little including someone saying "Miss, you better call the science technicians because "X" just got burned".

He never let it down, lol. =P
Reply 153
Hmm...toughie. Probably 'bullied', as they would be morally correct, and I would help them in every way I can to stand up against the bully. And this would help them later in life, too - while they remain morally correct.
Original post by Scienceisgood
A bit harsh isn't it?
The term "Wimp" is one who is belittled by others, however, belittling others is derogatory in many aspects and shows that the only way you can best someone is by making them feel small?

I have known MANY people who easily tower above me (about 6'2) - I am 5'7 and were far stronger (or even the same size) than me or smarter than me and most have the sense to not make people feel small.

I do not like making people feel bad because it is who I am and if you get please from doing this (not saying you but people in general), I believe you fit the term "sadist" and this often escalates to further and more serious problems.

Am I right or wrong?

Its nothing whatsoever to do with that. You should be big enough to admit that your weaknesses are in fact weaknesses rather than curse your next generation.
Reply 155
Of course, I'd rather they were neither, however...

Since I have experienced bullying and come out a stronger and more self-assured person, I'd rather my child be the victim, and allow me to help them and show them how to cope through it so in the future, they could cope from any form of verbal bullying/victimizing later on in life (like in the work place or something).

I'd be extremely ashamed and disappointed if any of children partook in a bullying act
Nobody deserves to be bullied at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending