The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Postgrads 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I don't suppose anyone has any experience of postgrad life when living in town rather than campus?
I already have secured accommodation as I already study here. So on the plus side, I have plenty of friends already in Lancaster, but the vast majority are undergraduates who are in their penultimate year. I'd like to get involved in postgrad life, but I think it might be more difficult if I have to travel onto campus every evening to do it! Anyone got any insight?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 41
Heya. To all those who have applied for accommodation, have you received offers yet? I've received mine this morning, just need to confirm it. Soooo happy :smile:
Original post by cate3110
Heya. To all those who have applied for accommodation, have you received offers yet? I've received mine this morning, just need to confirm it. Soooo happy :smile:

Yep! I received it too! :smile:
Reply 43
Hi everyone!

I'm looking forward to starting as a postgrad student in the LLM International Law programme this Autumn, and as I'm brand new to Lancaster, I was just wondering if anyone might know what the format is for postgrad seminars/lectures, i.e. if there's one per week for each module, or two per week, etc.? Any information at all about studying at Lancaster, and any information at all about the city itself would be very appreciated! :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Bturk1
Hi everyone!

I'm looking forward to starting as a postgrad student in the LLM International Law programme this Autumn, and as I'm brand new to Lancaster, I was just wondering if anyone might know what the format is for postgrad seminars/lectures, i.e. if there's one per week for each module, or two per week, etc.? Any information at all about studying at Lancaster, and any information at all about the city itself would be very appreciated! :smile:

Don't know if this is of help at all but have a look at this web page, if you know the titles of each of your modules it will tell you a bit more here, and hopefully answer some of your questions.

http://www.lusi.lancs.ac.uk/OnlineCoursesHandbook/ModuleCatalogue/Listing.aspx?Order=ByDept&Year=000113&Category=000623

Also, have you looked on your department's web page? For my course, went onto the departments page, clicked current students and there was a handbook for this year's course which was quite helpful :smile:
Reply 45
Went to the postgraduate open day on Wednesday. Did anyone else go? Found it really interesting, and can't wait for September 28th now :smile:
Reply 46
Went to the postgraduate open day on Wednesday. Did anyone else go? Found it really interesting, and can't wait for September 28th now :smile:

Share something from the event. How was it and so on :smile: It's going to be really helpful for those who missed it.
Original post by gfc
Share something from the event. How was it and so on :smile: It's going to be really helpful for those who missed it.

Yep! I agree..Please do share your experience! :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by gfc

Original post by shraddha41287
Yep! I agree..Please do share your experience! :smile:

Well to start off it was a glorious day weather wise, the campus is lovely in the sun. Had a talk introducing postgraduate study, with the usual stuff at these events 'reasons why you should study here' etc. There was a mix of people starting in October and those thinking of coming the year after. Told us how there is a large postgraduate population, think we make up a fifth of it which is quite a large amount compared to other universities. They then gave a talk on funding (I zoned out a bit here, mainly spoke about PhD funding (no offence if you're doing a PhD haha, just not relevant to me :wink: )

We then went on a tour of the campus. Had look at graduate college, both basic and superior ensuite. All looked clean and spacious, I've seen far worse haha. They just showed us round the campus, all the main buildings, library, Alexander Square, even study pods that only PG students have access to. We all got quite excited at this, they looked like giant pinecones.Considering it is coming to the end of term, the campus seemed to still have a lot going on. We then had a chance to speak to our departments.

It was an enjoyable day, and has certainly got me looking forward to starting in the Autumn. Hope this helps a little :smile:
Well to start off it was a glorious day weather wise, the campus is lovely in the sun. Had a talk introducing postgraduate study, with the usual stuff at these events 'reasons why you should study here' etc. There was a mix of people starting in October and those thinking of coming the year after. Told us how there is a large postgraduate population, think we make up a fifth of it which is quite a large amount compared to other universities. They then gave a talk on funding (I zoned out a bit here, mainly spoke about PhD funding (no offence if you're doing a PhD haha, just not relevant to me :wink: )

We then went on a tour of the campus. Had look at graduate college, both basic and superior ensuite. All looked clean and spacious, I've seen far worse haha. They just showed us round the campus, all the main buildings, library, Alexander Square, even study pods that only PG students have access to. We all got quite excited at this, they looked like giant pinecones.Considering it is coming to the end of term, the campus seemed to still have a lot going on. We then had a chance to speak to our departments.

It was an enjoyable day, and has certainly got me looking forward to starting in the Autumn. Hope this helps a little :smile:

Haha Thanks! You got me back to day dreaming now :tongue: Man! How I wish I could attend it too. :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by shraddha41287
Haha Thanks! You got me back to day dreaming now :tongue: Man! How I wish I could attend it too. :smile:

Ahh, only a couple of months left till the day dreaming will be a reality. How's everything going for you? You got much left to sort out now? :smile:
Ahh, only a couple of months left till the day dreaming will be a reality. How's everything going for you? You got much left to sort out now? :smile:

Well it's just the visa now which should be done mid July. :crossedf: Rest all taken care of. :smile:
Reply 52
Exciting to see other Lancaster postgrads on here! I'm going to be doing an MA in Politics, Philosophy and Religion--anyone else in the PPR department?
Reply 53
Welcome morphandme. Excited about starting the course? Are you local to Lancaster or living on campus?

Also, has anyone heard much yet apart from the email with a link to the welcome page a few weeks back? Guessing we'll have more info once pre-registration has opened...
Reply 54
Welcome morphandme. Excited about starting the course? Are you local to Lancaster or living on campus?

Also, has anyone heard much yet apart from the email with a link to the welcome page a few weeks back? Guessing we'll have more info once pre-registration has opened...

Welcome, morphandme!

No, I haven't heard anything else. On Twitter they told undergrads that pre-registration was late this week. Maybe it will be for us too.

EDIT : Correction, early September xD
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi everyone. I'm starting my social work MA in October :smile: I'm so excited, I can't wait to start. I'd anyone else commuting to campus? I only live in kendal so i will be taking the train down until I pass my driving test.
Reply 56
Original post by Clairebear-86
Hi everyone. I'm starting my social work MA in October :smile: I'm so excited, I can't wait to start. I'd anyone else commuting to campus? I only live in kendal so i will be taking the train down until I pass my driving test.

Hey, great to hear from someone else doing the course. Just over a month till we start. Have you had any confirmation for the bursary yet?
:biggrin:

p.s. If you're on facebook, there is a group for the course, only a couple of us on there so far : https://www.facebook.com/groups/119999128211059/?fref=ts
(edited 10 years ago)
Good to meet you Hun :smile:. No I haven't received any conformation from the nhs bursary yet. I wish they would hurry up though, I noticed the reading list is out and I can't afford to buy any books until we get it. Il join that Facebook group now :smile: xxxx
Reply 58
Yep I haven't got much in the way of reading yet. Just a Blackwell companion and a couple of books passed to me from social workers I know on interviewing skills. Nothing on the list though. The next month will fly. What did you do your undergrad course in? I did mine in Sociology so hoping there will be some stuff I remember xx
My BA was in History and Criminology, I graduated in 2009 though and I re read my dissertation the other day and thought to myself "bloody hell once upon a time I was quite clever!" I seriously need to get my brain back into gear. I was originally supposed to start the MA social work in 2012, I got my place and conformation of funding but then I fell pregnant so I deferred it until this year. It was nice of the uni to keep my place open for me though, I thought I would have had to be re interviewed. It's going to be a shock for me being a full time student, and a mummy but I suppose it will make me more organised than iv ever had to be before. I know I will hate leaving Dylan while I'm in lectures and classes but I will just have to keep reminding myself that it's only 2 years. Xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending