The Student Room Group
XXraiderXX
DO ANYONE KNOW HOW IODINE ION TURNS A SOLUTION OF CHLORINE IN HEXANE PINK??
:confused: :confused: :confused:
PLEASE!PLEASE!PLEASE!
I NEED THE ANSWER AS FAST AS POSSIBLE,
BECAUSE I'M GOING TO SIT FOR MY GCE O-LEVEL CHEMISTRY NEXT TUESDAY.
THANK YOU.

maybe the Iodine iones replace the chlorine. that reaction is called substitution. hope this helps.

Edit:s-smilie:orry i just realised that i missunderstood your question. I was wrong.

try Chemistry thread
Reply 2
XXraiderXX
DO ANYONE KNOW HOW IODINE ION TURNS A SOLUTION OF CHLORINE IN HEXANE PINK??
:confused: :confused: :confused:
PLEASE!PLEASE!PLEASE!
I NEED THE ANSWER AS FAST AS POSSIBLE,
BECAUSE I'M GOING TO SIT FOR MY GCE O-LEVEL CHEMISTRY NEXT TUESDAY.
THANK YOU.

The reaction will be:

KI(aq) + Cl2 → KCl(aq) + I2

The Iodide ion, from the added potassium iodide solution, is substituted by the Cl- ion to then form KCl. The iodine produced will then turn the hexane layer pink.
Reply 3
我認為是 KI(aq) + Cl2 → KCl(aq) + I2,

Just a normal substitution reaction.

加油!! Good luck on ur exam:smile:
Reply 4
Robusty
我認為是 KI(aq) + Cl2 → KCl(aq) + I2,

Just a normal substitution reaction.

加油!! Good luck on ur exam:smile:

all the above should be in aqueous phase, and the equation is not balanced... tut tut:

2KI(aq) + Cl2(aq) → 2KCl(aq) + I2(aq)

but I do agree that iodine turn the hexane pink from colourless
Reply 5
To the OP, why are you doing GCE O level? I thought that was long outdated and replaced with GCSE?
Reply 6
Esquire
To the OP, why are you doing GCE O level? I thought that was long outdated and replaced with GCSE?

He's in Malaysia, and they probably still do the 'O' levels there, just like most other former British colonies.
Reply 7
He's in Malaysia, and they probably still do the 'O' levels there, just like most other former British colonies.

Yeah i figured... wow you are in the Arctic. That must be cool (terrible pun :biggrin:), I was thinking of doing an exchange with the UNIS in Svalbard. I want to study the lights :biggrin:.
Reply 8
Esquire
Yeah i figured... wow you are in the Arctic. That must be cool (terrible pun :biggrin:), I was thinking of doing an exchange with the UNIS in Svalbard. I want to study the lights :biggrin:.

Yeah. The seals around here are beautiful. And the penguins are cute too. :cool:
Reply 9
Knogle

Nah... we do the GCSE's and A-levels here in Hong Kong.
Reply 10
wildfire
Nah... we do the GCSE's and A-levels here in Hong Kong.

I did say most...
Reply 11
Knogle
Yeah. The seals around here are beautiful. And the penguins are cute too. :cool:

The Arctic doesn't have penguins..:wink:
Reply 12
Seth
The Arctic doesn't have penguins..:wink:

You got me there. :redface:

We have Santa Claus.

Latest