The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
While I'm totally unsurprised that the Sun mentioned the bullies' ethnicity every second sentence, I'm surprised they tried to show the taunts as racially motivated. The only quote from the bullies states that he was threatened with a plastic knife and was told it would be a real one next time (as he stood up for himself). How is that anything to do with him being white?

His school was supposedly 75% 'from ethnic backgrounds', so any group of people that bullies him is inherently likely to be from an ethnic minority given that they apparently form the majority of the student populace in that school. The fact that it was a group of Asian pupils is neither here nor there, and it's quite a large leap from there to reach the decision that the bullying was racially motivated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by qasidb
The article didn't even mention Islam or Muslims.

right, it's really going to be hindus or sikhs isn't it?

Obviously it's Muslims.
Racism is intolerable no matter what the situation, whether that be asian kids bullying a white classmate, or pathetic trolls on the internet twisting tabloid news to suit their bigoted agendas.
Original post by zjs
While I'm totally unsurprised that the Sun mentioned the bullies' ethnicity every second sentence, I'm surprised they tried to show the taunts as racially motivated. The only quote from the bullies states that he was threatened with a plastic knife and was told it would be a real one next time (as he stood up for himself). How is that anything to do with him being white?

His school was supposedly 75% 'from ethnic backgrounds', so any group of people that bullies him is inherently likely to be from an ethnic minority given that they apparently form the majority of the student populace in that school. The fact that it was a group of Asian pupils is neither here nor there, and it's quite a large leap from there to reach the decision that the bullying was racially motivated.

This analysis seems about spot on.

Having said that, it is of course a grave tragedy. The fact that a nine year old boy can be bullied into suicide is harrowing and I can't imagine what the parents must be feeling right now. My thoughts are with them.
It's quite suspicious how the boy changed school and only being nine knew how to tie up a rope and hang himself. Sounds all too good to be true.
Original post by zjs

What about the bully whose dad said that all white people should be dead?
That is really tragic. My thoughts are with his family, I can't imagine what they're going through. I've experienced racism before (both for being too white and for being too dark) and it's not pleasant. It's wrong regardless of race.
Original post by Golden_Boy786
It's quite suspicious how the boy changed school and only being nine knew how to tie up a rope and hang himself. Sounds all too good to be true.

It's really not at all difficult to hang yourself, you don't need any extra knowledge at all you just need to be able to tie a knot.
Original post by venenecinema
It's really not at all difficult to hang yourself, you don't need any extra knowledge at all you just need to be able to tie a knot.

Erm...ok, but for a 9 year old at such a tender young age. He seemed quite experienced at that field. Tragic story altogether though. :s-smilie:
Original post by Golden_Boy786
Erm...ok, but for a 9 year old at such a tender young age. He seemed quite experienced at that field. Tragic story altogether though. :s-smilie:

Yeah, good point, there's loads of evidence to suggest that he was 'experienced'...
Original post by qasidb
The article didn't even mention Islam or Muslims.

No comment
(edited 11 years ago)
My Dad's 53 and he used to get bullied for being white. It's not a new thing in the UK
Reply 13
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
it is of course a grave tragedy. The fact that a nine year old boy can be bullied into suicide is harrowing and I can't imagine what the parents must be feeling right now. My thoughts are with them.

This.

But the attempt to instantly put a tragedy like this into an agenda, with very little proof, and (perhaps even more so) the 'those ruddy Mussies' reaction it seems to have invoked, is equally disturbing.

Admittedly, I missed that comment when I first went through the article.

To me, it seems a way to conveniently link the facts of the case with the motivation the Sun - and perhaps the parents - believe to be the aggravating factor. Perhaps it was said, but it doesn't necessarily imply any racist motivation. You might raise an eyebrow at this, but the context is important. The fact that this could have come up in conversation to the victim does not necessitate the malicious/threatening tone that the article is presenting it as having. It is undoubtedly a bigoted, idiotic, statement but it could easily have been a classmate relating this to him. It's important to note that it isn't even necessarily one of the alleged bullies who said this. 'One kid even said to him' juxtaposed with the mention of the group of bullies does not mean it came from this group.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not very good with opinions but this makes me sad. A time when everyone saw we were all human and all brothers of the same race who could do anything if we really worked together. I don't think one ever did/will exist on earth but I wish it would.

That bit made me the most depressed/angry/sad
Thank the idiotic governments of the past for allowing this to happen. Its disgusting when a group of muslim thugs target a gay man, and call him a fag, telling him he should leave the 'muslim area'. Honestly, who do they think they are.
Reply 16
Original post by WelshDragon23
Thank the idiotic governments of the past for allowing this to happen. Its disgusting when a group of muslim thugs target a gay man, and call him a fag, telling him he should leave the 'muslim area'. Honestly, who do they think they are.

Since when did 'Asians' become interchangeable with 'Muslims'?
Original post by WelshDragon23

So the entire white population is accepting of Homosexuals ? Do me a favour and experience the real world
Original post by zjs

I was referring to muslims, not all asians. Just to clarify that to everyone.
Original post by zjs

I'm not agreeing with him but I think he's referring specifically to that video involving Muslims trying to impose Shariah law in London. He's obviously also making allusions to effectively uncontrolled immigration in general which has allowed the creation of racial enclaves.

Latest

Trending

Trending