The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've dabbled on a forex simulator, however I mainly stick to investing stocks on a simulator
Reply 2
I've seen a few people talking on here about trading for university money on forex. I looked into getting a demo account for it once, then quickly decided that I don't know enough about these things to really stand much of a chance.
Reply 3
Original post by Manitude
I've seen a few people talking on here about trading for university money on forex. I looked into getting a demo account for it once, then quickly decided that I don't know enough about these things to really stand much of a chance.

Yeah forex seems a lot to take in , you can be a bit :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Its a zero sum game with the platform charging fees so you can expect negative returns. Don't do it.
Reply 5
Original post by mucgoo
Its a zero sum game with the platform charging fees so you can expect negative returns. Don't do it.

Tell that to warren Buffett

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Start with a forex micro account, trade what you don't emotionally feel, when you are up using whatever method works for you then move up a notch, if you feel emotional then go back down, all can be done using a micro account trading micro lots, increase size within the micro account when feel ready decrease if find really wasn't ready.

Micro is the only way to start. Demo is pretty pointless other than for testing strategies, you will only learn from losing real money. And micro forex needs minimum funding. Stocks are expensive, need a fair bit of start up to even get going.

Never ever trade uni money! Trade what you can afford to lose.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by tjjohnson3

Posted from TSR Mobile

He most certainly does not day trade on forex.
I think he's done some currency speculation but over year periods.
Reply 8
I looked at starting Forex and the more I read into it the more I realised its pretty much just gambling. You might as well head to the bookies and have a fun time.
Reply 9
Used to do spread betting on currencies, commodities and individual stocks but got fed up of the slow platform and ridiculous spreads + commissions.
Reply 10
Original post by mucgoo
He most certainly does not day trade on forex.
I think he's done some currency speculation but over year periods.

Never did I say he did, he is a value investor in stocks and was a bond trader, I have read countless books on the man, I know my Buffett
Reply 11
Original post by Frube
I looked at starting Forex and the more I read into it the more I realised its pretty much just gambling. You might as well head to the bookies and have a fun time.

Not sure what you are reading, it's political effect and current affairs into play
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why did I get 2 negatives on this? The man is a self made billionaire value investor? - I never said he spread bets, but he certainly invests.
I used to collect Pokémon cards if that counts...
Reply 14
Never did I say he did, he is a value investor in stocks and was a bond trader, I have read countless books on the man, I know my Buffett

Well you implied that he did Forex's day trading style stuff given the context. I'm sure if it had opportunities for profit he would. It doesn't.

Not sure what you are reading, it's political effect and current affairs into play

Which everyone else is also watching. Trying to second guess the markets reactions is gambling.
Reply 15
So does anyone else actually trade real or demo? And if so what markets, instruments and style etc.
Reply 16
I share international trade relations with drug cartels and I Investment 2billion pounds everyday into them
Reply 17
Do any of you lot trade on a demo account or real account - forex, bonds, stocks ect? I am 15 and I use TD investing to spread bet, hardly anyone I know does it.

Attempted with a demo account and got destroyed! Nothing would ever go up enough to even break even.
Its just gambling.
Reply 19
Original post by chelseafan
Its just gambling.

To the uneducated person maybe, but you wouldn't be trading if you didn't have some way of having an edge and putting the odds in your favour.

Latest

Trending

Trending