The Student Room Group

Civil Engineering Foundation Year

Hi, i'm planning on starting a civil engineering degree in 2014, but due to my background I will have to do a foundation year. The reason for the foundation year is that I took BTEC ICT level 3 ND as I was (and still am) interested in computers at that time. I also only have a C in GCSE maths and physics, due to issues in school. This may limit my choice of uni's as some ask for B's.
What i'd like to know is how other people, who have done a foundation year in engineering, have coped with the work as they don't have the necessary maths and physics background to start an actual degree.
I know the work will be difficult, which is one of the reasons i plan on taking this degree, but is the work actually manageable for someone with my type of background? i'm a hard worker and plan on studying as much as possible in uni. I'm just worried that no matter how hard I work, I'll struggle with what is required of me.
Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by Welshbum
Hi, i'm planning on starting a civil engineering degree in 2014, but due to my background I will have to do a foundation year. The reason for the foundation year is that I took BTEC ICT level 3 ND as I was (and still am) interested in computers at that time. I also only have a C in GCSE maths and physics, due to issues in school. This may limit my choice of uni's as some ask for B's.
What i'd like to know is how other people, who have done a foundation year in engineering, have coped with the work as they don't have the necessary maths and physics background to start an actual degree.
I know the work will be difficult, which is one of the reasons i plan on taking this degree, but is the work actually manageable for someone with my type of background? i'm a hard worker and plan on studying as much as possible in uni. I'm just worried that no matter how hard I work, I'll struggle with what is required of me.
Thanks.

Hi, you don't have to worry as they will teach u the correct content necessary for success for ur first year of ur degree. However I do advise going through the basics in maths and physics to ensure you won't be too overwhelmed with the content since u haven't done it for a long time.

a10,

Quick Reply

Latest