The Student Room Group

I can sympathize with Pistorious.

Due to workmen up above making noise and my latent fears of bailiffs I had a really violent nightmare that a bunch of guys were trying to break into my flat with weapons and I basically **** my pants and fled over the balcony into my next door neighbor. I was ****ing terrified. Obviously the trial hasn't happened so I have no idea on whether Pistorious' story is true but if it is I still originally thought that he was a little too trigger happy for shooting first and asking questions later. However now I can understand his fear (if he's telling the truth) especially in a country as violent as SA. When someone breaks in your security has been invaded, there's nowhere else to go. You either stand and face them or flee into the cold outdoors where you are not protected by your walls and doors and the attackers could be anywhere outside. It elicits a very strong fight or flight response. If I had a gun in the dream I would have totally machinegunned those guys trying to smash their way through my window. I had a similar dream while living in Jamaica; 2 unknown guys were suspiciously trying to force their way through the front gate. Again this being Jamaica my immediate thoughts were "it's all over they are going to break in and kill me" So I immediately prepared to shoot them (had a gun in the dream) Turns out they were just sent by my grandparents to fix the gate.
I haven't made my mind up whether he's innocent or guilty.

But if everyone shot through their bathroom door when they heard a sound regardless of consequence, where would we be?
Original post by ConnorB
I haven't made my mind up whether he's innocent or guilty.

But if everyone shot through their bathroom door when they heard a sound regardless of consequence, where would we be?

****ting behind steel bathroom doors, ideally
Original post by peter12345
Due to workmen up above making noise and my latent fears of bailiffs I had a really violent nightmare

lmao bailiffs aren't hard, the worst they do if you don't let them in is push a letter through your door asking you please ring this number.
Reply 4
Original post by MagicNMedicine
lmao bailiffs aren't hard, the worst they do if you don't let them in is push a letter through your door asking you please ring this number.

I can imagine bailiffs using every dirty trick possible to get the person to open their door.

The BBC docudrama on bailiffs was bad enough. Now picture them without a BBC camera crew follwing them around!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Fusion
I can imagine bailiffs using every dirty trick possible to get the person to open their door.

The BBC docudrama on bailiffs was bad enough. Now picture them without a BBC camera crew follwing them around!

It doesn't matter if you open the door, unless you give them permission to enter your house then they legally cannot do so.
I can't comment on the case of Pistorious as I don't know enough and its not my place too. Its a tragedy either way :frown:

But I do generally stand by the talk before you shoot method. Even just checking would avert similar scenarios.
Reply 7
I grew up in South Africa and I can tell you the fear of home invasion is very real, and can defiantly understand the kind of anxiety Oscar must have had in regards to crime. I remember sleeping at a friends house when some people attempted to rob the house, and it was only the threat of his father with a shotgun that managed to get them off the property. The amount of times friends, family and neighbours had been victims of crime really made you live in fear that one night it would be your house that was invaded, or your car hijacked on the way to the shops. People call Oscar foolish for shooting first and asking questions later, but in South Africa you don't have the luxury to ask questions first as there is a very likely chance that if it is a burglar he will be armed and will not hesitate for a second to kill you. I really don't know whether he is guilty or innocent, but regardless he will have to live with his conscience for the rest of his life.
I do as well my future wife shall wear a bullet proof vest when she goes for a piss.
Original post by Fusion

Yeah but you just ignore it. Just tell them you aren't interested thank you very much like you would a salesman or Jehovahs Witness.
Reply 10
Yeah but you just ignore it. Just tell them you aren't interested thank you very much like you would a salesman or Jehovahs Witness.

Go and watch the clips of people who managed to film their bailiffs in action

I'd imagine bailiffs are failed bouncers

Ah, I usually shoot Jehovahs Witnesses. :wink:
Reply 12
It seems to have been an accident, so I can't really see how anyone can blame him unless evidence of murder turns up.

Though my view is likely tainted by the fact that I have family in South Africa. Three uncles (none of whom I'd met) have been killed there so far, as of 2005.

@Negger: I'd love to meet you in South Africa one day :colone:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
He was just practicing for the biathlon.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I believe it was an accident too. His story is perfectly plausible and sad:frown:
Reply 15
Original post by Swanbow
I grew up in South Africa and I can tell you the fear of home invasion is very real, and can defiantly understand the kind of anxiety Oscar must have had in regards to crime. I remember sleeping at a friends house when some people attempted to rob the house, and it was only the threat of his father with a shotgun that managed to get them off the property. The amount of times friends, family and neighbours had been victims of crime really made you live in fear that one night it would be your house that was invaded, or your car hijacked on the way to the shops. People call Oscar foolish for shooting first and asking questions later, but in South Africa you don't have the luxury to ask questions first as there is a very likely chance that if it is a burglar he will be armed and will not hesitate for a second to kill you. I really don't know whether he is guilty or innocent, but regardless he will have to live with his conscience for the rest of his life.

I think everyone realise the crime issue in SA and no one is arguing it. The real question is that is Oscar hiding behind this?
Original post by peter12345
Due to workmen up above making noise and my latent fears of bailiffs I had a really violent nightmare that a bunch of guys were trying to break into my flat with weapons and I basically **** my pants and fled over the balcony into my next door neighbor. I was ****ing terrified. Obviously the trial hasn't happened so I have no idea on whether Pistorious' story is true but if it is I still originally thought that he was a little too trigger happy for shooting first and asking questions later. However now I can understand his fear (if he's telling the truth) especially in a country as violent as SA. When someone breaks in your security has been invaded, there's nowhere else to go. You either stand and face them or flee into the cold outdoors where you are not protected by your walls and doors and the attackers could be anywhere outside. It elicits a very strong fight or flight response. If I had a gun in the dream I would have totally machinegunned those guys trying to smash their way through my window. I had a similar dream while living in Jamaica; 2 unknown guys were suspiciously trying to force their way through the front gate. Again this being Jamaica my immediate thoughts were "it's all over they are going to break in and kill me" So I immediately prepared to shoot them (had a gun in the dream) Turns out they were just sent by my grandparents to fix the gate.

Well yes, assuming he's telling the truth. Not all the facts are known. I must say that I've never encountered a break in whilst I was at home so I can't really say for sure how I'd act although I think I probably would try and do something to protect myself, my property, and whoever is with me should someone else be there with me.
I wonder what kind of noises she was making to make him think she was a burglar? Maybe straining too loudly
Reply 18
Original post by 419
I think everyone realise the crime issue in SA and no one is arguing it. The real question is that is Oscar hiding behind this?

Some people just don't understand how bad crime is and in their ignorance find it acceptable call Pistorious evil for even considering shooting an intruder when they have never been in that situation. Personally I don't think that he is hiding behind it, but then again I haven't had access to all the evidence. The judge will come to the right decision in the case anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending