The Student Room Group

English students at scottish universities, a question...

Particularly if you are paying the new 9k fees...

Does the inequality of fees between English and Scottish students come up much in general discussion? It seems a bit weird that you might be in lectures next to someone who is getting it all for free while you are paying 27k +... I just wondered if anyone has experienced much sneering or gloating on the part of Scottish students to the English.

I'm not suggesting that Scots students are inherently nasty by the way! But I've heard enough sneering and gloating from the "full grant and bursary" crowd to the "squeezed middle" students, and the inequality of fees seems like it could lead to a lot of ill feeling.

Please share your experiences, this will be a (small) factor in choosing my insurance Uni.
Reply 1
I'm suppose its the same with internationals and home students before the new fees, probably not much is mentioned :dontknow:
As a northern Irish student in scotland paying fees, no this has never come up. I can't imagine why anyone would sneer at someone, they'd have to be pretty immature.
If anything RUK students are better off during uni cos we get bigger student loans and grants and don't have to worry about paying fees back till we graduate .
Original post by Popppppy

If anything RUK students are better off during uni cos we get bigger student loans and grants and don't have to worry about paying fees back till we graduate .

^This. We get more debt, but we can also (depending on the uni) access more maintenance funding, which makes life much easier in the short-term.

I've never once heard a Scottish student make those sort of remarks. The only time it's ever come up is in conversations with EU students, who ask how much we're paying (and then look appalled at the answer).

Honestly, it's better not to be neurotic about it or you'll just end up having a crap time.

Quick Reply

Latest