The Student Room Group

Medicine and dexlexia

Hi I am thinking of doing medicine at uni. I however have dexlexia and only got a C for English at GCSE . Will it still be possible for me to get into a course that requires an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by joessmith
Hi I am thinking of doing medicine at uni. I however have dexlexia and only got a C for English at GCSE . Will it still be possible for me to get into a course that requires an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

All universities, including med schools, make big efforts to accommodate students with disabilities, including learning disabilities.

However, that does not mean that med schools accept candidates that do not meet their academic requirements. They will consider extenuating circumstances, and you'll be eligible to take UKCATSEN.

The real question is why you struggle at school? Does your school have support for students with learning disabilities? If it does, the chances are that with approppriate help, you can retake the exam and improve your mark. With help, you can also achieve requisite grades at A-level. If your school does not have disability councellor, seek help outside of school (i.e. clinical assessment with recommendations for reasonable accommodations that the school should do for you).

People with learning disabilities have it harder, but it is certainly possible to succesfully apply to medical school.
Reply 2
I unfortunately got as C in both Eng Lang and Lit. My overall grades where 5A*, 1A and 3Cs

Posted from TSR Mobile
I unfortunately got as C in both Eng Lang and Lit. My overall grades where 5A*, 1A and 3Cs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are good grades in general. I'd recommend checking here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

And looking for universities that accept a C in English at GCSE (e.g. Aberdeen, Durham, Leicester).

Good luck!
Original post by MTW47
That was really cruel and unecessary:frown:

Surely it's better that he/she knows how to spell it in future than to go on spelling it incorrectly? Personally, I would want someone to correct me if I spelled something wrong. Just my opinion!
Original post by littleeggy
Surely it's better that he/she knows how to spell it in future than to go on spelling it incorrectly? Personally, I would want someone to correct me if I spelled something wrong. Just my opinion!

Then you probably misunderstand the nature of dyslexia. It's not a case of simply not knowing how to spell, and telling someone the correct spelling is not always the best way of fixing the issue.
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

You would have to contact them and ask whether your dyslexia would count as an extenuating circumstance that they would accept for you not meeting their grade requirement. Your GCSEs are otherwise OK, so it's a good idea to check this out. There are still a few places that will accept a C in English too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could try resitting your GCSE English courses, along with your AS levels or wherever you are at. I think most unis won't have a problem with that. Did you have extra time when you took them, and was all the support available to you? If you don't want to re-sit, there are some unis that would accept those grades, so don't worry! The rest of your GCSEs are fine!
Reply 8
I am willing to resit but I am doing 5 As's at the moment so it could affect my AS grades what do people think??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I am willing to resit but I am doing 5 As's at the moment so it could affect my AS grades what do people think??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, its probably worth asking universities themselves what they reccomend and whether they except resits + would recommend it maybe email a couple just to see what they saym :smile: I think most would understand since they do want to accomadate as many as possible to get the best applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I were you, I would prioritise. Unless you plan on applying to Barts (who use UCAS tariff), doing 5 ASs will not benefit your application, whereas re-sitting and getting a B will open up university choices. I would drop an AS and do the resits :smile:
Reply 11
Do unis see resits the same as non-resits?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Do unis see resits the same as non-resits?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're talking about GCSEs, you have to check each university's policy. If you mean A-levels, then almost all of them don't mind about modules resat during the 2 year period, but most of them will not accept resits outside that period.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending