The Student Room Group

Bath or Manchester for Chemical Engineering??

I've got offers to study ChemEng at Bath and Manchester but I'm finding it really hard to decide between the two.

To me the advantages of Manchester are the larger department and very good facilities, more cutting edge research, and lecturers seemed friendlier and passionate, and they also said the older students help and support the first years (like peer mentoring). However theres only one course option with a placement and it seems there isn't much emphasis on this.

On the other hand, Bath is in a very safe and attractive area, which is probably more ideal for me as I'm not really into clubbing etc. The department is smaller but still seemed quite good, plenty of computers and a big emphasis on industrial placements which is very good, they even have a team to help find a placement and most students take a placement. The research projects also sound interesting. My main concern is that there may be a lack of support and that lecturers may not be very helpful, from what little I've heard.

Can anyone studying ChemEng at the University of Manchester or Bath please share their experiences, and opinions??

For instance how helpful and friendly did you find the lecturers? Was feedback helpful, prompt? What do you think of the department/is there a good sense of community? Has the degree been everything you hoped? Do you find it interesting? Are the resources/ facilities adequate? And any problems or just your experience of the uni in general?

^these are just some ideas you don't have to answer them all lol :smile:

Thanks for your help! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone??

Could really do with some help here! :smile:
Reply 2
Bump...

Just wanted some opinions from people studying (preferably ChemEng) at Bath or Manchester, or even if you just visited it what you think?? :smile:
Reply 3
I had an offer from Manchester, and I would have chosen it over Imperial if Cambridge had rejected me - I know it's not quite what you're asking but hopefully it puts some perspective to things - though this is entirely personal choice.

Manchester does have its own pilot plant, I don't know if Bath has that.
Reply 4
Original post by wibletg
I had an offer from Manchester, and I would have chosen it over Imperial if Cambridge had rejected me - I know it's not quite what you're asking but hopefully it puts some perspective to things - though this is entirely personal choice.

Manchester does have its own pilot plant, I don't know if Bath has that.

Thanks for your post that does help. So was your main reason for favouring Manchester, the facilities and pilot plant?

They have labs with quite large equipment but I don't think they have a pilot plant from what I saw.

Their website says this:

Spoiler

The last point seems to suggest they don't have a pilot plant but they could do in the future.

Feel like I'm going round in circles, was leaning towards Bath but now I'm not so sure. My parents just keep telling me to hurry up and decide. :erm:
Reply 5
Original post by montstar
Thanks for your post that does help. So was your main reason for favouring Manchester, the facilities and pilot plant?

They have labs with quite large equipment but I don't think they have a pilot plant from what I saw.

Their website says this:

Spoiler

The last point seems to suggest they don't have a pilot plant but they could do in the future.

Feel like I'm going round in circles, was leaning towards Bath but now I'm not so sure. My parents just keep telling me to hurry up and decide. :erm:

Facilities, I preferred the vibe to the one at Imperial, seemed to have pretty good industrial links.

You still have a while to decide, surely? :tongue:
Imperial's dry isn't it
Reply 7
I have applied to the same universities and don't know which one to choose. Haha never thought that someone would be in the situation as me. Have you made your decision? :smile:
Reply 8
I study Chem Eng but not at either of these. I would choose bath purely for its reputation as an overall university. At Frank Morton sports day (do some research on this - highlight of chemeng calendar) the Bath students looked more normal and well rounded than Manchester's. Weren't too bad at sport either... but not better than Birmingham :yeah:
Reply 9
Original post by CynicaL
I study Chem Eng but not at either of these. I would choose bath purely for its reputation as an overall university. At Frank Morton sports day (do some research on this - highlight of chemeng calendar) the Bath students looked more normal and well rounded than Manchester's. Weren't too bad at sport either... but not better than Birmingham :yeah:

I know Newcastle students who you would describe as normal and well rounded yet they did awfully in the sport too :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest