The Student Room Group

Scholarships in UK

Hi everyone. Fist of all, sorry if the thread is not in the correct subforum.

I'm from Montevideo, Uruguay (South-America) and I'm eighteen years old and the reason why i'm writing to you is that i'm really interested in getting an scholarship to learn English in Europe, such as at England, Ireland, Scotland or wherever.

First of all, I wanted to know with whom i have to contact as well as the requierements there are needed to get such scholarship (financial or whatever).

Moreover, I was wondering about the accommodation. Does the government pay part of it or the whole of it?

Another business it get me nervous is getting a job. Is it easy or difficult to do that?

That's one of the tasks that interest me the most, but if you have any other information, it'd be welcome.

Thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 1
In the UK we do have scholarships, however from what I've seen these are mainly for those who come from a low household income ( these come from the government, student fiance) or there are grade based scholarships which are offered normally by the university. However I am not sure if these are open to international applicants.
For a uk student I know that we get a maintenance loan which covers the majority of accommodation costs, but have to be paid back.
Getting a job in the uk right now with or without a degree is extreamly hard right now so we're seeing more people leave univeristy with no jobs in the near future.
I'm applying for uni this year but I dont know everything!
But a good place to look is student fiance for financial answers!
http://www.educationuk.org/ is the site to look at for learning english in the UK - it's run by the british council which is responsible for promoting british education across the world and so they combine information from lots of sources.

HOWEVER there may also be scholarships available from your own country or charities - many goverments and charities provide funding for their students to study abroad in specific countries/areas/subjects/universities. You're probably best placed to research any funding available locally.
Reply 3
Okay, thank your very much to both!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending