The Student Room Group

Gap Year at a High School in the US - Our progress and your questions answered :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Oh :frown: well they will tell you if you have or not :frown: it's possible that they're still deciding, but who knows :frown:

Ooh right that sounds cool, but it has been confirmed as Lynchburg VA now :smile:

Yeah, I'm telling myself that if they'd decided no for certain then they'd have told me, but I'm as convinced of that as the Pope is Protestant.

Ah, well I hope you have a lovely time! :smile:
Reply 81
Oh :frown: well they will tell you if you have or not :frown: it's possible that they're still deciding, but who knows :frown:

Ooh right that sounds cool, but it has been confirmed as Lynchburg VA now :smile:

Culver Academies, IN :biggrin:
Original post by sophichka
Culver Academies, IN :biggrin:

OOOH YAY! That's the one you wanted right?? That's so good! I'm so glad :smile:

I won't be at the induction day (I'm actually on holiday in America :awesome:) but my dad will be there :cool:
Reply 83
OOOH YAY! That's the one you wanted right?? That's so good! I'm so glad :smile:

I won't be at the induction day (I'm actually on holiday in America :awesome:) but my dad will be there :cool:

It is indeed!! It has insane equestrian facilities which is rather fabulous.

I have not read that far down the email yet, read the first paragraph and then accidentally deleted it off my phone so I need to get home to read the rest :tongue: hope you enjoy your holiday :smile:
It is indeed!! It has insane equestrian facilities which is rather fabulous.

I have not read that far down the email yet, read the first paragraph and then accidentally deleted it off my phone so I need to get home to read the rest :tongue: hope you enjoy your holiday :smile:

That does sound really really cool :colondollar: I'm just excited that this is actually happening :rolleyes: a few months ago I had no idea!

Hahaha, yeah it's the 4th of July (independence day :awesome:) and parents are welcome etc...

Also, probably going to change the name of this thread to a sort of blog style thing... is that alright? Kind of feel like you have joint ownership of this thread :rolleyes:
Reply 85
That does sound really really cool :colondollar: I'm just excited that this is actually happening :rolleyes: a few months ago I had no idea!

Hahaha, yeah it's the 4th of July (independence day :awesome:) and parents are welcome etc...

Also, probably going to change the name of this thread to a sort of blog style thing... is that alright? Kind of feel like you have joint ownership of this thread :rolleyes:

Same ahaha, I have wanted to do it ever since my dad told me about how he did it when I was like 11 :tongue: ridiculously excited

Thank you haha, I'll put that in my dad's diary and then hopefully he will be in the country and able to come!!

Go for it! I'm definitely gonna have to do a blog about next year, just hoping for non-restrictive internet filtering now :tongue:
Same ahaha, I have wanted to do it ever since my dad told me about how he did it when I was like 11 :tongue: ridiculously excited

Thank you haha, I'll put that in my dad's diary and then hopefully he will be in the country and able to come!!

Go for it! I'm definitely gonna have to do a blog about next year, just hoping for non-restrictive internet filtering now :tongue:

Hahaha well you had time to prepare at least :tongue:

Yeah that'd be cool, I heard as well that we get each others contact details when in America haha but idk about that :tongue:

Yeahhh! Even if just for my family it would be cool to do :smile:
reallly realllllly hoping I don't have it restricted :frown:
Reply 87
Hahaha well you had time to prepare at least :tongue:

Yeah that'd be cool, I heard as well that we get each others contact details when in America haha but idk about that :tongue:

Yeahhh! Even if just for my family it would be cool to do :smile:
reallly realllllly hoping I don't have it restricted :frown:

Oh yeah ahaha, I have been making plans for my year in the US since then, although some of my 11 year old self's plans seem a little impossible :tongue:

Well I was just a right little stalker and found the girl who's at Culver this year on tumblr and she doesn't seem to have restricted internet so hopefully it'll be ok!!
Oh yeah ahaha, I have been making plans for my year in the US since then, although some of my 11 year old self's plans seem a little impossible :tongue:

Well I was just a right little stalker and found the girl who's at Culver this year on tumblr and she doesn't seem to have restricted internet so hopefully it'll be ok!!

Haha I can imagine :tongue: what stuff is there near to Indiana?? From what I remember its near to state New York and New England but also Chicago! You're in a good position :smile:

My town has rail links with New York, DC, Philadelphia and a few other towns - they take a while but 86 dollars to go to NY seems a bargain :smile:

Alsooo my school has unlimited internet useeee and they allow laptops, can't WAIT! :rolleyes:
Reply 89
Haha I can imagine :tongue: what stuff is there near to Indiana?? From what I remember its near to state New York and New England but also Chicago! You're in a good position :smile:

My town has rail links with New York, DC, Philadelphia and a few other towns - they take a while but 86 dollars to go to NY seems a bargain :smile:

Alsooo my school has unlimited internet useeee and they allow laptops, can't WAIT! :rolleyes:

A lot of cornfields I'd imagine!! They're 2 1/2 hours north of Indianapolis and 2 1/2 southeast from Chicago, but it looks like you'd need a car to get there, the town is 1300 so no rail links by the look of it :tongue: I'm kinda jealous of you in Virginia - you're so close to DC! I've always wanted to go to DC but hurricane sandy screwed up my trip there :tongue:

Apparently my school does too which is good, but it's uniform or "reg rec" all the time, and reg rec is school logoed clothing bought from the school store, so like you can wear your own (unbranded and nondescript) jeans but then you'd have to wear a culver hoody or whatever which seems a bit steep but hey, I'll deal, I'll probably end up spending a lot of time in muddy jodhpurs anyway so it's not like I'm worried about "fashion" :tongue: (it would be nice to wear my own clothes though... But hey :tongue:)
A lot of cornfields I'd imagine!! They're 2 1/2 hours north of Indianapolis and 2 1/2 southeast from Chicago, but it looks like you'd need a car to get there, the town is 1300 so no rail links by the look of it :tongue: I'm kinda jealous of you in Virginia - you're so close to DC! I've always wanted to go to DC but hurricane sandy screwed up my trip there :tongue:

Apparently my school does too which is good, but it's uniform or "reg rec" all the time, and reg rec is school logoed clothing bought from the school store, so like you can wear your own (unbranded and nondescript) jeans but then you'd have to wear a culver hoody or whatever which seems a bit steep but hey, I'll deal, I'll probably end up spending a lot of time in muddy jodhpurs anyway so it's not like I'm worried about "fashion" :tongue: (it would be nice to wear my own clothes though... But hey :tongue:)

Hahaha oh wow yeah I looked it up it's quite far from places :tongue: I'm kind of lucky in that the town I'm going to is a decent size (not too big not too small)! It will be nice to go to it and one of my old friends who I have not seen in years is in North Carolina which is like 2 hours away, might be able to get to her wedding! Crazy :tongue:

Oh right that sounds pretty decent considering I have to wear a blazer (except on Fridays :tongue:)... I mean you get to wear casual stuff as well outside of lessons but still :rolleyes:

The school looks decently relaxed though in terms of like computers and being free to do what you want but I'm not allowed to remove roof tiles :colone:
Reply 91
Hahaha oh wow yeah I looked it up it's quite far from places :tongue: I'm kind of lucky in that the town I'm going to is a decent size (not too big not too small)! It will be nice to go to it and one of my old friends who I have not seen in years is in North Carolina which is like 2 hours away, might be able to get to her wedding! Crazy :tongue:

Oh right that sounds pretty decent considering I have to wear a blazer (except on Fridays :tongue:)... I mean you get to wear casual stuff as well outside of lessons but still :rolleyes:

The school looks decently relaxed though in terms of like computers and being free to do what you want but I'm not allowed to remove roof tiles :colone:

Ahh that'll be nice! Yeah I've got friends in Indiana who moved there when we were seven, so it might be kinda cool to go see her, and I'll probably end up spending Thanksgiving/Christmas in Ohio so it's nice to not have to fly out there, glad I didn't end up in the South :tongue:

They all seem pretty relaxed in terms of when you have to be in uniform and when you can wear "reg rec," I have friends at boarding schools over here who are in uniform all day every day except for sports and Sunday afternoons.

Culver's website is pretty useless, but it looks like whilst CMA is crazy strict, CGA is much more relaxed :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Ahh that'll be nice! Yeah I've got friends in Indiana who moved there when we were seven, so it might be kinda cool to go see her, and I'll probably end up spending Thanksgiving/Christmas in Ohio so it's nice to not have to fly out there, glad I didn't end up in the South :tongue:

They all seem pretty relaxed in terms of when you have to be in uniform and when you can wear "reg rec," I have friends at boarding schools over here who are in uniform all day every day except for sports and Sunday afternoons.

Culver's website is pretty useless, but it looks like whilst CMA is crazy strict, CGA is much more relaxed :biggrin:

Oh that's cool! Yeah I think I might go home for Christmas - I know it seems a bit pointless but mehh I really like spending it at home with the family and it'll be a nice chance to see everyone - also because trains to New York are quite cheap I can get a cheaper flight to NY and go on the train down to Lynchburg :awesome:

Wow yeah that does sound strict... but I mean a BLAZER? I have never worn one before :tongue: Oh so are you going to a girls school? I hadn't realised - or is the military academy like right next door? Sounds cool :cool:
Reply 93
Oh that's cool! Yeah I think I might go home for Christmas - I know it seems a bit pointless but mehh I really like spending it at home with the family and it'll be a nice chance to see everyone - also because trains to New York are quite cheap I can get a cheaper flight to NY and go on the train down to Lynchburg :awesome:

Wow yeah that does sound strict... but I mean a BLAZER? I have never worn one before :tongue: Oh so are you going to a girls school? I hadn't realised - or is the military academy like right next door? Sounds cool :cool:

I think my dad is itching for an excuse to spend Christmas in Ohio, so I'll be with the family, if not at home :tongue:

My school is uniform Kindergarten through Year 11 so I'm not to bothered by the thought of uniform :tongue: I have had plenty of practise wearing a blazer!

They're on the same site and have classes together and eat together and have the same headmaster but are separate schools, I don't really understand :tongue:
I think my dad is itching for an excuse to spend Christmas in Ohio, so I'll be with the family, if not at home :tongue:

My school is uniform Kindergarten through Year 11 so I'm not to bothered by the thought of uniform :tongue: I have had plenty of practise wearing a blazer!

They're on the same site and have classes together and eat together and have the same headmaster but are separate schools, I don't really understand :tongue:

Hahaha oh right that is cool tbh, I'd love to experience it in the US but my family will not be coming out (they've never been before :h:)

Yeah I mean I've been used to uniform but standard state school jumper and polo shirt not blazer and tie :h: especially not looking forward to it in 30 degree heat :unimpressed:

Oh that sounds a bit weird :confused: sounds like they do basically everything together but sleep, and that would be in separate dorms anyway so whatever! Maybe sport or something but even that would mostly be done separately anyway - except in equestrian :rolleyes:

Who knows :tongue:
Reply 95
Hahaha oh right that is cool tbh, I'd love to experience it in the US but my family will not be coming out (they've never been before :h:)

Yeah I mean I've been used to uniform but standard state school jumper and polo shirt not blazer and tie :h: especially not looking forward to it in 30 degree heat :unimpressed:

Oh that sounds a bit weird :confused: sounds like they do basically everything together but sleep, and that would be in separate dorms anyway so whatever! Maybe sport or something but even that would mostly be done separately anyway - except in equestrian :rolleyes:

Who knows :tongue:

Ahaha I was kilt & blouse for a very long time, though it may take a bit of adjusting to get back into wearing a uniform after two years out of it! Indiana doesn't look like it'll be too mabd heat wise... it gets down to -10 and a couple of feet of snow in the winter though :/

Yeah I think it's also to make the distinction that boys is miltary and girls isn't, so in that way they're quite separate (thank god!!) however internet rules are looking to be stricter than I thought - internet is filtered and whilst everyone gets a laptop of their own, it is school provided :tongue: I'll see I guess, I'm definitely going in with the impression that if it's truely awful I can get on a bus to Cleveland (perhaps not the attitude to have, but I don't want to be stuck there for a year if it turns out to be awful, which hopefully it won't but, contingency plans :tongue:)

Also, how are you getting on with visas? I'm thinking that I might wait until after A Levels to apply, just because you have to go down to London for an interview and I'm not feeling doing that in the middle of exams...
Ahaha I was kilt & blouse for a very long time, though it may take a bit of adjusting to get back into wearing a uniform after two years out of it! Indiana doesn't look like it'll be too mabd heat wise... it gets down to -10 and a couple of feet of snow in the winter though :/

Yeah I think it's also to make the distinction that boys is miltary and girls isn't, so in that way they're quite separate (thank god!!) however internet rules are looking to be stricter than I thought - internet is filtered and whilst everyone gets a laptop of their own, it is school provided :tongue: I'll see I guess, I'm definitely going in with the impression that if it's truely awful I can get on a bus to Cleveland (perhaps not the attitude to have, but I don't want to be stuck there for a year if it turns out to be awful, which hopefully it won't but, contingency plans :tongue:)

Also, how are you getting on with visas? I'm thinking that I might wait until after A Levels to apply, just because you have to go down to London for an interview and I'm not feeling doing that in the middle of exams...

Kilt... and blouse :eek: I had to swear "business wear" for the last two years but I never went blazer so yeah :colondollar: Ahhh -10? Virginia only ever gets to about freezing (generally a bit above) so not toooo bad, and it gets to 30+ in the summer :awesome:

Oh that's annoying :unimpressed: My school has unlimited internet and I can use my own laptop (although they turn the internet off at 12 :tongue:) not to rub it in or anything... I guess it's good you have a backup as I am pretty much screwed if I don't like it but I mean, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it or at least bare it if it gets bad... I don't think it will get to that though... :h:

I've applied already, it is SERIOUSLY arsey because you literally have to answer about 50 questions, upload a very specific photo, fill in your details twice, passport details, two people to verify, ESU details and school details etc... then you have to phone them and book an appointment for an interview... its a lot of work so I thought I'd get it done before exams start, interview in a couple of weeks. The other reason is because they take your passport for a few days and I'm going on holiday soon after exams so I cannot really do with that bother... :tongue:
Reply 97
Kilt... and blouse :eek: I had to swear "business wear" for the last two years but I never went blazer so yeah :colondollar: Ahhh -10? Virginia only ever gets to about freezing (generally a bit above) so not toooo bad, and it gets to 30+ in the summer :awesome:

Oh that's annoying :unimpressed: My school has unlimited internet and I can use my own laptop (although they turn the internet off at 12 :tongue:) not to rub it in or anything... I guess it's good you have a backup as I am pretty much screwed if I don't like it but I mean, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it or at least bare it if it gets bad... I don't think it will get to that though... :h:

I've applied already, it is SERIOUSLY arsey because you literally have to answer about 50 questions, upload a very specific photo, fill in your details twice, passport details, two people to verify, ESU details and school details etc... then you have to phone them and book an appointment for an interview... its a lot of work so I thought I'd get it done before exams start, interview in a couple of weeks. The other reason is because they take your passport for a few days and I'm going on holiday soon after exams so I cannot really do with that bother... :tongue:

Yeah my school was strict on uniform :tongue: ahh jealous ahaha, think Indiana peaks at mid 20s in July so I won't be there anyway!

Ah, should probably get started on that then... But I'm not going away until late July so hopefully it'll be ok! Eurghhh that sounds like such a massive pain though; and I thought getting into Russia was hard!!
Reply 98
X

also did you school send you your I-20? Because mine haven't and I've emailed them and phoned and they seemed to ignore the question and just answer the other questions I asked both times which is a little worrying... :s-smilie:
Yeah my school was strict on uniform :tongue: ahh jealous ahaha, think Indiana peaks at mid 20s in July so I won't be there anyway!

Ah, should probably get started on that then... But I'm not going away until late July so hopefully it'll be ok! Eurghhh that sounds like such a massive pain though; and I thought getting into Russia was hard!!

Well that's about the UK and it's a bit more reliable but still :tongue: Yeah I'm going away on the 2nd July or something so it's not that bad, they have lots of appointments in June still so you'll be fine :smile: Hahaha it's alright it's all done for me now except for the interview; if you set aside a couple of hours it gets done

also did you school send you your I-20? Because mine haven't and I've emailed them and phoned and they seemed to ignore the question and just answer the other questions I asked both times which is a little worrying... :s-smilie:

Yep, they have, straight away really. Mine are being really helpful, maybe have a word with the ESU? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest