The Student Room Group

what GCSEs will i need to become an architect??

on friday i am picking my year 9 choice.here are our main choices that we have to do;
english language
maths
science(either as chemistry, bioligy or physics or as core and additional
geography/history
french
physical education (p.e)
english literature.
and here is list of my option studies which i can pick 2 of;
buisiness studies
art(fine art,graphic communication,photography,grapic design)
ict
dance
music
geography
re
drama
product design
pe(BTEC or GCSE)
history
pschology
and i would like to know what 2 option studies i should pick if i would like to become an architect.
Pick the full triple science GCSEs (chemistry, biology, physics) rather than core/additional.

Take Art and Product Design/Graphic Design or something, and the rest are up to you (Geography might be a good option)
Reply 2
Probably Geography and Product design.

You A levels will be the ones that matter. Most University courses require 5 or so GCSE's at C or above. Then specific A levels or UCAS points.
Reply 3
Original post by callumhjh
on friday i am picking my year 9 choice.here are our main choices that we have to do;
english language
maths
geography/history
french
physical education (p.e)
english literature

buisiness studies
ict
dance
music
geography
re
drama
product design
pe(BTEC or GCSE)
history
pschology
and i would like to know what 2 option studies i should pick if i would like to become an architect.

Subjects which we sort of cover/ are related to the course the most are probably
Art obviously
Sciences- physics in structures lectures looking at loading, moments, tensile strengths of materials, etc. (I don't think it really matters which one you choose, as long as you have a basic understanding)
Geography- site analysis, infrastructure studies, mapping
Psychology- interpretation of environment, considered during design work
History- architectural history lectures, looking at examples of vernacular architecture in pre-industrial societies
RE- more ethics than religion itself- links to ethical design and sustainability of design
ICT- computer design work (sketchup, CAD, etc), designing presentations
Product design- not sure if I'm interpretting this right but working to briefs

So of your optional subjects I would probably pick art (gives you the basics to work on for Alevel art). Second choice out of geography, history or product design. Doing GCSEs just gives you a little background info to build on. Choose subjects you know you will enjoy (rather than because you think they will help with architecture courses) and focus on getting decent grades. I'll be honest, it's more Alevels that matter subject-wise as unis tend to ask for Art (sometimes maths or a science as well).
Original post by callumhjh
english language
maths
geography/history
french
physical education (p.e)
english literature.
buisiness studies
ict
dance
music
geography
re
drama
product design
pe(BTEC or GCSE)
history
pschology

At GCSE stage I would say keep your subject choices as broad as possible. Also, if you want to become an architect, try and get some work experience in the field as soon as you can.
Reply 5
Original post by Gunnerzz
Probably Geography and Product design.

You A levels will be the ones that matter. Most University courses require 5 or so GCSE's at C or above. Then specific A levels or UCAS points.

I think that for me these would be great ones to pick but as someone with not the best skill in drawing and art do you still think that going forward you would be able to be an architect with mediocre drawing skills? :smile:

Latest