The Student Room Group

How expensive is uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by johnmuir
My local university would be Dundee but the grades they are after are virtually impossible for me to get.

I've seen a few people say they use their bike to save money? Seems reasonable, and I'm not sure about the bus pass yet as it may be cheaper to buy a ticket each day if you are only in 3 days per week.

I only know of the student loan of £4,500 which I can get, so I'm really stuck on where everyone says you get support from?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

People work, or get help from their parents. Won't your parents help you at all- contribute what they spend on your food wise etc? It might not be much but £10 a week is £10 a week..

You might have to make sacrifices for one, you might have to accept that your going to have to share a bathroom. You will have to do it next year anyway so if it is a luxury you can't afford- it is a luxury you can't afford.

You might have to get a job- i'm not sure if the NMW is the same in Scotland but even if you only worked 16 hours a week here you would get about £80 a week which is what you would have to live off if you were unemployed. There should be plenty of time to do it- from what I have heard, most 1st years only in classes for about 20 hours a week- assume you are awake for 14 hours a day- thats about 70 hours free time. Yes, you will have to fill some up with study- call that 2 hours a day and that is still 56 hours a week free to work, go out etc.

If you really think you still can't afford it- my only suggestion is either to take a year out and get a job to save up or see if grandparents etc could make a contribution to expenses.
Original post by sevchenko
40 quid a week of food for one person, that's too much. 15 quid should be the limit

It depends how well you want to eat. I could probably get away with £20-£25 for a week, but typically spend £35-£40 or so because I can buy extra food and cook for myself.

I doubt you could eat well for £15 a week.

Is there a reason why you need a bus? Surely halls are going to be closer than that? And taking a non-ensuite should not be an issue. Ours are cleaned 2-3 times a week. If you're at a push, a tenner is still a tenner!
Reply 22
Original post by SillyEddy
It depends how well you want to eat. I could probably get away with £20-£25 for a week, but typically spend £35-£40 or so because I can buy extra food and cook for myself.

I doubt you could eat well for £15 a week.

Is there a reason why you need a bus? Surely halls are going to be closer than that? And taking a non-ensuite should not be an issue. Ours are cleaned 2-3 times a week. If you're at a push, a tenner is still a tenner!

The uni from accommodation is 5miles away. Suppose to save myself money and be healthier I could walk, it's just a cost I have added in anyway to get a max. cost!

From previous posts I have read that accommodation is first come first served so it looks like it will be non ensuite for me! Sound really stupid but I never even considered there being cleaners? Makes the idea of non ensuite more appealing, guess it just depends on the people you're sharing with! Thanks anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending