The Student Room Group

Do you always remember your lifesaver/shoulder checks?

Poll

New : How often do you perform a shoulder check when changing direction/lanes?

I know everyone is taught to check their blind spots when learning to drive but i was passenger for someone recently who literally never checked them once the whole journey...

I had religiously pressed into me so anytime i'm doing anything the check is always there. Even recently, i was going along a dual carriageway at 70, someone aheead at 60, i check my mirror, shoulder check, pull out to overtake... I get past and then to pull back in front i check inside mirror and i'm fine then when i do my shoulder check there is a van doing at least 90/100 undertaking me in the small gap between me and the car i jsut overtook.

It's no exaggeration to say if i didn't do that shoulder check then i would be very seriously injured... And this is one of the checks that people will often forget because 99.99% of the time when you overtake someone there will be nothing there afterwards...

Just wondering what TSR is like because we are mostly the dangerous young drivers on ehre that cause all the accidents... :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I try to remember and I do most of the time, though I do forget occasionally. I'd say I've become a lot better at it in the last few months because I'm having to think less whilst riding.
Reply 2
Original post by mikeyd85
I try to remember and I do most of the time, though I do forget occasionally. I'd say I've become a lot better at it in the last few months because I'm having to think less whilst riding.

Makes sense.

I think motorbikers may be better at this since we're more exposed. Car drivers are in a giant protective steel cage whereas we're sat on an engine with wheels.
Original post by Motorbiker
Makes sense.

I think motorbikers may be better at this since we're more exposed. Car drivers are in a giant protective steel cage whereas we're sat on an engine with wheels.

Shame you didn't split the poll in to car people and bikers. Would have made an interesting read.
Reply 4
Original post by mikeyd85
Shame you didn't split the poll in to car people and bikers. Would have made an interesting read.

Or did i?

:ninja:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Only when setting off I check. I understand it's a lot more important for bike riders than car users. I check my mirrors when changing lanes but I also make sure before the journey that the mirrors can cover the whole roads.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
not that I forget, but I make myself aware of what is going on around me on the motorway, so only when I know that I don't know what's going on is when I shoulder check. No way i'd bother shoulder checking when driving along town roads unless i'm pulling out of a space or something that requires it.
I always check. I love my car too much not to. There are some really stupid and incompetent drivers around, especially where I live. I don't want the hassle of having to claim against someone's insurance because they can't drive properly. Having your car out of commission for a while is irritating, so is whiplash.
I have little blind spot mirrors so I use them now, but if I see in them something I will always do a double check by swivelling my head.
The mirrors are much better for me as when I turn my head I have to look out of the side of my eyes which means I'm not looking through glasses which is not ideal, and sometimes the frame obscures my view.
Makes sense.

I cycle and drive, and I definitely agree with this. When I'm cycling there's me on a metal frame with cogs, and a little helmet. I'm constantly checking.
Reply 10
Every time, its just second nature. Quick glance in the relevant back seat window.

Of course if you're on the motorway or dual carriageway you shouldn't need to because you should be tracking the progress of the cars both ahead and behind you and know exactly where they will be and when as a matter of course. But do it anyway, just to be on the safe side.
Reply 11
Original post by Michaelj
I check my mirrors when changing lanes but I also make sure before the journey that the mirrors can cover the whole roads.

Yea but no matter how good your mirrors are there will always be blind spots that they do not cover unless you get the extra blind spot mirror underneath.

Original post by A Cat
not that I forget, but I make myself aware of what is going on around me on the motorway, so only when I know that I don't know what's going on is when I shoulder check. No way i'd bother shoulder checking when driving along town roads unless i'm pulling out of a space or something that requires it.

What about for blind spot checking when changing lanes?

Original post by py0alb
Of course if you're on the motorway or dual carriageway you shouldn't need to because you should be tracking the progress of the cars both ahead and behind you and know exactly where they will be and when as a matter of course. But do it anyway, just to be on the safe side.

I always try and do the same but the example post i gave in the OP was a very special circumstance. The guy was nowhere when i pulled out to overtake and must have been gaining on me ridiculously fast during my overtake to then dive down the inside of me. It's the situation where if we had crashed it would have been his fault for speeding/undertaking dangeorusly but i'm still be injured...

Original post by thefunktopus69
I have little blind spot mirrors so I use them now, but if I see in them something I will always do a double check by swivelling my head.
The mirrors are much better for me as when I turn my head I have to look out of the side of my eyes which means I'm not looking through glasses which is not ideal, and sometimes the frame obscures my view.

Ahh, Blind spot mirrors, good idea.

I wear glasses as well but when i turn my head i'm still looking out the middle of them if you turn the head enough... I do know what you mean about the frames though. Especially when riding a bike as it's hard to adjust them whilst riding along.

Original post by RibenaRockstar
I cycle and drive, and I definitely agree with this. When I'm cycling there's me on a metal frame with cogs, and a little helmet. I'm constantly checking.

Yea, on my bicycle i'm even more nervous since i'm wearing normal clothes whereas on my mtoorbike i'm armoured up to the armpits...

Ahh, Blind spot mirrors, good idea.

I wear glasses as well but when i turn my head i'm still looking out the middle of them if you turn the head enough... I do know what you mean about the frames though. Especially when riding a bike as it's hard to adjust them whilst riding along.

The mirrors were something like a quid off ebay, they stick into the corner of the wing mirrors. Mine were sold by babz media, you can probably get them in all the pound shops as well.
Definitely worth it -they let you see your wheels when parking aswell.
Reply 13
Always remember when on my cycle. Only remember 70-80% of the time while driving, my first instructor wasn't good at reminding me to do this. the one I have for my refresher lessons is much better and helping me get into the habit of doing it.
I drive a massive car, and I always check.

I think it's because when I was having my lessons, I nearly pulled out into a car :colondollar:
I was on the dual carriageway, and wanted to overtake. I saw a blue car followed by two red cars coming up, so I was letting them go past before pulling out. But when the first red car went past my brain went dead, and I somehow thought that I could pull out (probably because my brain said "pull out after the red car". Needless to say, my instructor had to do an 'intervention'.

So always check my blindspot, and never had a crash :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Architecture-er
I drive a massive car, and I always check.

I think it's because when I was having my lessons, I nearly pulled out into a car :colondollar:
I was on the dual carriageway, and wanted to overtake. I saw a blue car followed by two red cars coming up, so I was letting them go past before pulling out. But when the first red car went past my brain went dead, and I somehow thought that I could pull out (probably because my brain said "pull out after the red car". Needless to say, my instructor had to do an 'intervention'.

So always check my blindspot, and never had a crash :smile:

I think an incident like that can make a giant difference to how often you check.
I think an incident like that can make a giant difference to how often you check.

I would concur :lol:
Reply 17
I always check when pulling out onto dual carriageways or overtaking, but occasionally forget to do it when pulling back into the left hand lane after overtaking - should probably do it more often though.
Reply 18
Original post by wibletg
I always check when pulling out onto dual carriageways or overtaking, but occasionally forget to do it when pulling back into the left hand lane after overtaking - should probably do it more often though.

That is the one that's often forgotten as nothing should ever be there.

But occasionally like i already said in this thread you get idiots undertaking at ridiculous speeds throwing themselves in that gap...
To be honest, it depends. The main place I was taught by my instructor to do shoulder checks was when pulling out of parking spaces. I do that basically never, because I've usually been sitting in my car for several minutes by that point, checking the side mirrors and acclimatising, so it's pretty unlikely that it would make any difference. Equally, I'm going so slowly pulling out of spaces that if, say, a bike did appear it wouldn't be difficult to slam on the brakes going all of 2 mph...

On motorways, however, pretty much always, yes. Like you I once got caught out by the blind spot in the near side line (it was very dark and there was nothing in the side mirror, but I had a 'hey, where did that white car go?' moment and a quick look over confirmed that yes, it was undertaking me).

The annoying thing is that my driving instructor really never hammered blind spot checks when changing lanes into me - it was my dad when he took me out on motorways. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending