The Student Room Group

Do you always remember your lifesaver/shoulder checks?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IlexAquifolium
The annoying thing is that my driving instructor really never hammered blind spot checks when changing lanes into me - it was my dad when he took me out on motorways. :rolleyes:

This.

For me, probably because he's attended so many accidents from people who don't do this simple check.
Reply 21
Original post by IlexAquifolium
The annoying thing is that my driving instructor really never hammered blind spot checks when changing lanes into me - it was my dad when he took me out on motorways. :rolleyes:

This for me as well.

My dad used to be an advanced riding instructor when he was younger and therefore every journey is him trying to drive absolutely perfectly. And when me and my brother got nearer driving age he would make sure we knew what were the important safety things to be doing.
I never forget to check my blind spot when changing direction or when my lane merges into another.
I pretty much started doing them from day one as I only started biking like in September. So i had to teach myself things like shoulder checks in order to pass my test before the law changed in jan 2013 as I was not going pay hundreds to go through a training school.

This also might sound weird, but i even do shoulder checks when I'm not even on my bike lol its just second nature to me. Same with racing lines when I'm walking up the stairs its always wide in apex wide out. :biggrin:
Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me
I never forget to check my blind spot when changing direction or when my lane merges into another.
I pretty much started doing them from day one as I only started biking like in September. So i had to teach myself things like shoulder checks in order to pass my test before the law changed in jan 2013 as I was not going pay hundreds to go through a training school.

This also might sound weird, but i even do shoulder checks when I'm not even on my bike lol its just second nature to me. Same with racing lines when I'm walking up the stairs its always wide in apex wide out. :biggrin:

Same, my generally routine is mirror then shoulder check. I've lost count the amount of times I've spotted a car in my blind spot before changing lanes, so doing shoulder checks is a must for me.

I have also noticed that cars behind me tend to back off when i do a shoulder check, since this is one of the first signs of a rider preparing a manoeuvr.
Reply 24
Original post by YamahaLondon

I have also noticed that cars behind me tend to back off when i do a shoulder check, since this is one of the first signs of a rider preparing a manoeuvr.

This is true. Another useful function of the check on a motorcycle.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending