The Student Room Group

Oxford University selecting by race - according to Guardian data analysis from FOI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Observatory

Chinese oligarchs send their children to private secondary schools in the UK so that they can learn English and apply with A levels rather than the widely known to be corrupt Chinese secondary school transcripts. They would be considered home applicants for the purposes of these statistics. And no one said "all" - this is simply lazy debating; my point only requires these things to be true on average and I doubt you seriously dispute that they are.

That's a bit OTT - Asians at Oxbridge are the children of "Chinese oligarchs"?? Many are just high achievers from all kinds of backgrounds. For sure some are from British private schools, including many on scholarships and bursaries. Also some aren't.
Original post by Pafeetus
That's interesting. I suppose it just adds to the list of reasons why the system is inherently unfair, it's just sickening how easy it would be to change it.
Im lucky enough to go to a private school and I received a lot of help with my application, but they weren't keen on predicting A*s unless they were pretty sure you would get them (over 90% UMS). But I can imagine some schools wouldn't be so cautious.
The other factor they don't account for is the "old boys network", which despite being less of a presence than it was even 5-10 years ago is still around. Especially in the more prestigious private schools.

And also there's the whole private school buys confidence thing. When I was up for interviews there were kids who were clearly SO certain they'd get in and so confident there, I have no doubt they performed better at interview than I did.

I'm still sore about not having got any actual interview feedback other than statistics about how competitive the course was.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
And also there's the whole private school buys confidence thing. When I was up for interviews there were kids who were clearly SO certain they'd get in and so confident there, I have no doubt they performed better at interview than I did.

I'm still sore about not having got any actual interview feedback other than statistics about how competitive the course was.

Actually many private schools now believe they are actively discriminated against by Oxbridge colleges, they are regularly issuing press releases complaining about it. I'm not convinced by the whole "confidence will get you in" line - I think most tutors are thoroughly familiar with the need to see past fake confidence and an ability to talk it up, they look for real underlying ability and smartness and the ability to take on the work and run with it.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That's a bit OTT - Asians at Oxbridge are the children of "Chinese oligarchs"?? Many are just high achievers from all kinds of backgrounds. For sure some are from British private schools, including many on scholarships and bursaries. Also some aren't.

I don't think "asians" in the UK as an ethnic category includes Chinese (although it does in the US), who are a separate category.

But my point is that if we're trying to separate Oxbridge discrimination (ie. "you are just as good as the next man but I don't like browns so I'm giving it to him") from unfavourable socioeconomic conditions growing up, it makes no sense to lump Chinese (probably superior to whites in quality of schooling) with blacks (statistically a lot worse off than whites in quality of schooling).

Then you have intangibles that may fall on racial lines but which are not inherently racist. Eg. if I choose people for a Political Science course partly based on who is the better debater at interview, is it racist to systemically disfavour Chinese who have come from a non-expressive, learn-by-rote primary education system? Or because they don't speak as good English as a native? Or someone from East London - who is disproportionately likely to be black or [south] asian - who doesn't speak RP and doesn't use as many complex words in day to day life as someone from a private school? These things are almost certain to be factors in an interview-based system but they're not intrinsically racist, ie. they are judging on the basis of some ability that is both relevant and may be really worse among ethnic minority applicants.

What we could do is adopt the system of the Indian Institutes of Technology and Management, where you simply have an exam and the top x people in that exam are admitted. The Guardian is implying that if our selection system is not racist, its results should match up with this approach almost exactly. But we choose to have a somewhat subjective system with an interview component so we accept that these intangibles are legitimate bases for selection.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Yes I see that. But the conclusion then is they only actually found any evidence in two subjects, both the most oversubscribed by ethnic minority candidates, and one with major objective selection criteria that they did not consider. So they actually only found one subject with any clear evidence of racial bias, and it's one where there is a huge ethnic imbalance in applications to start with. We then have the problem that Oxbridge have always been completely open about using subjective selection criteria like interviews in addition to objective grades, and it's impossible to quantify those.

But that isn't what the headline says. The headline says "Oxford University" [ie. all of it] is racist in selections.

Chinese oligarchs send their children to private secondary schools in the UK so that they can learn English and apply with A levels rather than the widely known to be corrupt Chinese secondary school transcripts. They would be considered home applicants for the purposes of these statistics.

And no one said "all" - this is simply lazy debating; my point only requires these things to be true on average and I doubt you seriously dispute that they are. Britain has had very little "traditional" economic migration from China of poor people moving to poor areas, because only the political and financial elite in the PRC are able to leave and there is no Commonwealth connection that was important in permitting African, Afro-Carribean and Indian Subcontinent immigration in the past.

I see the phrase: "over-subscribed by ethnic minority candidates" floating around this thread. But I ask you, where is your evidence for this? Actually, what does that phrase even mean?
Every course at Oxbridge is over-subscribed and Medicine is over-subscribed at every University. If you mean to say that a disproportionate number of non-white applicants (heck, why don't we just say Coloured while we're at it) apply to Medicine then I would like some evidence.

The study is about how those non-quantifiable variables are being used in a discriminatory and racist way.

Yes, I agree. The article title is hyperbolic, as all newspaper article titles are. And is making the assumption that the trend extends throughout the courses at the University.

Where in the study or the data does it say that they would be considered as home applicants? Please, show me.

You practically said all, let's be honest here. Liverpool has one of the oldest Chinese communities in Europe, I don't see them driving around in Porsches though.
I don't think "asians" in the UK as an ethnic category includes Chinese (although it does in the US), who are a separate category.

But my point is that if we're trying to separate Oxbridge discrimination (ie. "you are just as good as the next man but I don't like browns so I'm giving it to him") from unfavourable socioeconomic conditions growing up, it makes no sense to lump Chinese (probably superior to whites in quality of schooling) with blacks (statistically a lot worse off than whites in quality of schooling).

Then you have intangibles that may fall on racial lines but which are not inherently racist. Eg. if I choose people for a Political Science course partly based on who is the better debater at interview, is it racist to systemically disfavour Chinese who have come from a non-expressive, learn-by-rote primary education system? Or because they don't speak as good English as a native? Or someone from East London - who is disproportionately likely to be black or [south] asian - who doesn't speak RP and doesn't use as many complex words in day to day life as someone from a private school? These things are almost certain to be factors in an interview-based system but they're not intrinsically racist, ie. they are judging on the basis of some ability that is both relevant and may be really worse among ethnic minority applicants.

What we could do is adopt the system of the Indian Institutes of Technology and Management, where you simply have an exam and the top x people in that exam are admitted. The Guardian is implying that if our selection system is not racist, its results should match up with this approach almost exactly. But we choose to have a somewhat subjective system with an interview component so we accept that these intangibles are legitimate bases for selection.

It's the first I've heard that "Asian" doesn't include "Chinese", but it's all down to usage - did you mean "Indian" when you said "Asian"? However, I was suggesting that you don't go around saying that all Chinese students in top universities in this country are the children of oligarchs, it's a ridiculous assertion.

I agree that the educational disadvantages and advantages of different minority groups vary.
(edited 11 years ago)
I see the phrase: "over-subscribed by ethnic minority candidates" floating around this thread. But I ask you, where is your evidence for this? Actually, what does that phrase even mean?

There are a lot more ethnic minority applications relative to their share of the population in these subjects than in others. The data is linked in the OP and the article makes this point itself.

The study is about how those non-quantifiable variables are being used in a discriminatory and racist way.

No not necessarily.

If Chinese people really are worse at interview (say) it isn't racist to reject them on those grounds. It would only be if Chinese people were equally good at interview but were rejected anyway. The Guardian analysis is making the point that ethnic minority candidates are rejected more often than whites with the same A level grades. But this doesn't tell us anything about how well they do at interview (or even about other relevant things like BMAT scores or A level UMS).

You practically said all, let's be honest here. Liverpool has one of the oldest Chinese communities in Europe, I don't see them driving around in Porsches though.

You may have "practically" read all, but something is either said or it isn't. Even if I did say it, it being wrong would not hurt my argument at all since it only requires the mean to be richer, not every single individual. When people say "blacks suffer from economic deprivation relative to whites", they don't mean that literally zero whites are poor and this never seems to be implied by readers.
It's the first I've heard that "Asian" doesn't include "Chinese", but it's all down to usage - did you mean "Indian" when you said "Asian"?
On the British census and I guess most official forms you will see in this country asking for ethnicity, "asian" means Indian subcontinent and "Chinese" is a separate category. I think Japanese/Korean/etc have to tick "other", but then we never had significant populations of those ethnicities unlike the US.

However, I was suggesting that you don't go around saying that all Chinese students in top universities in this country are the children of oligarchs, it's a ridiculous assertion.

It's dramatically more common. In fact foreign-born Chinese are the second largest ethnic group at a lot of private schools.
All those reasons don't defend Oxbridge, but implicate it further.
a) "ethnic minorities are more likely to attend underperforming state schools, giving them less competitive GCSE results" - The study uses A level statistics, all members of the sample went on to achieve 3 A*s at A-level. Compare these two candidates:
Candidate A - went to an under-performing school and achieved 3 A*s and 8 As at GCSE, well above average for their school, in fact, they were the top-performing candidate. Then, despite going onto sixth form at the same school they worked unbelievably hard and achieved predictions and results of 3 A*s at A2. Unfortunately they were rejected.
Candidate B - went to a successful private school, achieved straight A*s at GCSE and A level. Received extensive interview and application coaching from their teachers. Receives an offer.
How is that system fair in any way?
b) 'The admissions tutor or interviewer might not click with the "inner-city youth" (use this term in a very broad sense) and he might not be what the tutors look for in a student, due to his background' - You have just described racism and classism very successfully, well done. I really don't need to say any more.

Uhmmm, pardon me, but we are discussing racism here and not fairness in education. The guy with 8 As at GCSE was rejected because he didn't have stellar grades, not because he's black. Yes he went to a bad school, yes it's not fair, but it's not racism. He was not rejected because of his race. I never claimed the system was fair, read my post again.
And you do realise that many choose to attend better state sixth form colleges and schools after their GCSEs? Most of the highest achievers at my (very comprehensive) school got accepted into grammar schools or good sixth forms at other schools for their A-levels.

Point B is 'classism', yes. But once again, we are discussing racism here. No, it's not racism. A very middle class Jamaican person has as much of a chance at Oxbridge as the middle class English person, and an ''inner-city'' white person as low chance as an ''inner-city'' black person. You do know that ''inner-city'' is not a race right?

I've lived and live in urban deprived areas and attended poor state schools and I'm an ethnic minority myself, but ignoring real problems in favour of made-up ones is not a good move.

Edit: And yes, I know they used A-levels. That was my main point of criticism, the study did not look at GCSEs, which is likely to be lower for ethnic minorities as they are more likely to attend state schools. Not racist, just capitalism.
(edited 11 years ago)
On the British census and I guess most official forms you will see in this country asking for ethnicity, "asian" means Indian subcontinent and "Chinese" is a separate category. I think Japanese/Korean/etc have to tick "other", but then we never had significant populations of those ethnicities unlike the US.

It's dramatically more common. In fact foreign-born Chinese are the second largest ethnic group at a lot of private schools.

Then the questions are wrong, since China is visibly part of Asia.

You genuinely think you can defend the view that all foreign ethnically Chinese students at British private schools are the children of "oligarchs"? How exactly are you defining the term "oligarch"?

You are wrong about the census/ONS definitions. Check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_ethnicity_in_the_United_Kingdom

- you will see Chinese is included in the category "Asian" on the census forms.
Reply 31

EDIT: "The first thing to note is that all the figures relate to UK applicants international are excluded who provided information on their ethnicity on their UCAS forms (around a third of all applicants choose not to provide this information)."

This also seems like a huge elephant in the room. Presumably most people who chose not to disclose their ethnicity are white.

If all the figures relate to UK applicants then your Chinese oligarch theory is completely nullified. All applicants in the study either live in the UK long term, as do their parents or were born here.

Why is that presumed? Also, if they chose not to disclose their ethnicity they would be more likely to be non-white, wouldn't they?
They also aren't included in the study, so don't affect it. As we don't know which ethnicity they are, they are equally likely to be white or non-white (the two categories that matter here) so have no effect on the result.
You genuinely think you can defend the view that all foreign ethnically Chinese students at British private schools are the children of "oligarchs"? How exactly are you defining the term "oligarch"?

It only sounds ridiculous because you inserted the word "all".

Would it be a reasonable rebuttal of the Guardian article to say, "Obviously not all ethnic minority applicants are rejected. Therefore Oxford is not racist in admissions."?
If all the figures relate to UK applicants then your Chinese oligarch theory is completely nullified. All applicants in the study either live in the UK long term, as do their parents or were born here.

Why is that presumed? Also, if they chose not to disclose their ethnicity they would be more likely to be non-white, wouldn't they?
They also aren't included in the study, so don't affect it. As we don't know which ethnicity they are, they are equally likely to be white or non-white (the two categories that matter here) so have no effect on the result.

Because people believe the only reason this information would be used is to institute some kind of 'affirmative action' policy like in the US that would discriminate against white applicants.

Excluding these people would be ok if they were selected to be excluded at random but they are clearly a self-selecting sample and probably not one that is proportionally representative ethnically.
It's irrelevant that China is "visibly part of Asia" as a geographic continent: in the UK, Asian refers to people with backgrounds in the Middle East and the subcontinent. It's an arbitrary classification, and there's no reason linguistically to prefer one over the other -- but that's how it's used in academia as well as what people use it to mean in everyday discussions. The questions would be more "wrong", in that sense, if they used it to mean something else.

As he has already pointed out, you're arguing against a strawman here -- no one is saying that they are all children of oligarchs, but it is certainly true that a very high percentage of them are, particularly if you're talking about foreign-born Chinese students and excluding BBCs.
Original post by Sabbatai Zevi
It's irrelevant that China is "visibly part of Asia" as a geographic continent: in the UK, Asian refers to people with backgrounds in the Middle East and the subcontinent. It's an arbitrary classification, and there's no reason linguistically to prefer one over the other -- but that's how it's used in academia as well as what people use it to mean in everyday discussions. The questions would be more "wrong", in that sense, if they used it to mean something else.

As he has already pointed out, you're arguing against a strawman here -- no one is saying that they are all children of oligarchs, but it is certainly true that a very high percentage of them are, particularly if you're talking about foreign-born Chinese students and excluding BBCs.

Except it doesn't, at least, it doesn't officially. Maybe people use the term "Asian" in common parlance that way in the UK, but that doesn't make it official.

Your comment about a "high percentage" of Chinese students at Oxbridge being children of oligarchs (I assume that means - "mega rich") is nonsense.
Reply 36
Original post by amineamine2
Uhmmm, pardon me, but we are discussing racism here and not fairness in education. The guy with 8 As at GCSE was rejected because he didn't have stellar grades, not because he's black. Yes he went to a bad school, yes it's not fair, but it's not racism. He was not rejected because of his race. I never claimed the system was fair, read my post again.
And you do realise that many choose to attend better state sixth form colleges and schools after their GCSEs? Most of the highest achievers at my (very comprehensive) school got accepted into grammar schools or good sixth forms at other schools for their A-levels.

Point B is 'classism', yes. But once again, we are discussing racism here. No, it's not racism. A very middle class Jamaican person has as much of a chance at Oxbridge as the middle class English person, and an ''inner-city'' white person as low chance as an ''inner-city'' black person. You do know that ''inner-city'' is not a race right?

I've lived and live in urban deprived areas and attended poor state schools and I'm an ethnic minority myself, but ignoring real problems in favour of made-up ones is not a good move.

Edit: And yes, I know they used A-levels. That was my main point of criticism, the study did not look at GCSEs, which is likely to be lower for ethnic minorities as they are more likely to attend state schools. Not racist, just capitalism.

My point was that A levels are a better representation of academic ability than GCSEs. But I agree, the study would be better if it included GCSE grades. I'm sure they do, but it isn't relevant.

Point B is both racism and classism, you said that the interviewer wouldn't click with the person because of their background. Whether that is their accent, colour of their skin or whatever. It isn't their intelligence, commitment to the subject or personality.

What "made-up problems" are you referring to? And if that is the case, then why are you defending Oxbridge? You should be upset because you are, have been or will be discriminated against by a system that is meant to be impartial.
Reply 37
Because people believe the only reason this information would be used is to institute some kind of 'affirmative action' policy like in the US that would discriminate against white applicants.

Excluding these people would be ok if they were selected to be excluded at random but they are clearly a self-selecting sample and probably not one that is proportionally representative ethnically.

You might believe that, but you don't know that they do. They could be non-white and believe the information will be used against them in the same way. Or could be non-white and against that kind of question in questionnaires.

The point is that we don't know if this sample is representative or not so we ignore it or assume that it is.
You are wrong about the census/ONS definitions. Check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_ethnicity_in_the_United_Kingdom

- you will see Chinese is included in the category "Asian" on the census forms.

The change occured in the 2011 census. S/he is right otherwise, before 2011 'Chinese' had a separate category to Asians.
I think it's fairly established that 'Asian' in the UK refers to south Asians, at least in colloquial speech. You wouldn't consider Turkish people Asian, would you?
Original post by amineamine2
The change occured in the 2011 census. S/he is right otherwise, before 2011 'Chinese' had a separate category to Asians.
I think it's fairly established that 'Asian' in the UK refers to south Asians, at least in colloquial speech. You wouldn't consider Turkish people Asian, would you?

I don't disagree about the common usage, although I suspect some people do include "Chinese" when they think "Asian" now, if only because the common US usage is being picked up here. The Turkish point appears to be irrelevant. The official UK usage has always varied actually, it wasn't always the case that all official forms placed Chinese as a separate category to Asian.

Going back to the main debate, the only real issue with the data appears to be that it leaves out (1) the issue of ability tests and (2) the scope for school's own biases to come into play on predictions and which students they push forwards for application. I bet statisticians could crunch the numbers on both of these points and come up, based on this new data, with a Final Answer to the question - do Oxbridge discriminate racially on Undergraduate admissions?

I think Cambridge do need to be persuaded to respond, they look bad not doing so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending