The Student Room Group

Political theory - wth.

Hi,

- I am studying history and politics at SOAS.
- I dont understand my module on the intro to political theory :s-smilie:
- I hate intro to political theory :mad:
- I will most probably fail intro to political theory :frown:
- Are there any revision/summary books on political theory that condense the rubbish that these people write? :confused:
- I hate intro to political theory. :mad:

Reply 1
I did introduction to political theory at my university as a module and I hated it. My advice would be to just follow the lectures and recommended readings very closely and keep trying until you understand it. Also speak to the module conveyor and tell them about your difficulties with the module, they are usually quite helpful and will put you on the right track.
What sort of things are covered in the module? Which theories/ what does it look at?
Reply 3
Original post by Historicity
What sort of things are covered in the module? Which theories/ what does it look at?

We look at basically a different theorist each week: so Hobbes with the Leviathan, Rousseau, Schumpeter, Mill, Foucault (absolute rubbish), Marx etc
*confesses to not understanding political theory*
*proclaims Foucault to be rubbish*

:colonhash:

Hobbes, Rousseau and Mill should not be difficult to understand. I hate to say it, but wikipedia will probably help you get to grips with their themes as a way to break into texts. Schumpeter, Foucault and Marx are slightly harder. Foucault especially, I grant you. Sarah Mills "Discourse" is a great for understanding discourse analysis. The Blackwell Companion to Political Philosophy has a good essay by Foucault on Political Power. You have to read Mill's 'On Liberty' to understand his thought, I'm afraid, because people notoriously write inaccurately about him online (people focus too much on his harm principle). He wrote a piece on representation government, too. Leviathan is easy enough to understand, so is Rosseau's Social Contract. You'll be able to find a companion for Marx and Schumpeter, surely?

My 2p.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending