The Student Room Group

Land law having trouble finding a stepping stone for this essay

Gloria is the freehold owner of Galveston Manor, a large farmhouse. In 2002, when Gloria was in the process of buying Galveston Manor, she asked her two sisters, Harriet and Iris, if they would like to live there with her. Both agreed, and Harriet offered to contribute £30,000 towards the £300,000 purchase price of the farmhouse. Since then, Harriet has also regularly paid the gas and electricity bills. Iris explained to Gloria that she too would have liked to contribute towards the purchase price, but that she intended to register shortly as a university student, and would therefore have very little money for the foreseeable future. Gloria assured Iris that she need not worry about this, saying “You know that as far as I am concerned you are as much owner of this place as I am”. After Iris finished her university studies, she obtained a well-paid job with a bank; out of her earnings, she has recently paid for the farmhouse to be redecorated, for its roof to be re-tiled, and for drainage pipes to be installed in the paddock next to the farmhouse.

In 2009 the sisters received a letter from their cousin Jethro explaining that he would soon be returning from Jamaica, where he had been working for some time, to live permanently in his English home. Gloria wrote to Jethro telling him that he was welcome to stay at Galveston Manor for as long as he liked. In reliance on this, and feeling that he would rather live with his cousins than on his own, Jethro granted a long lease of his own house to a friend, and moved into Galveston Manor.

Gloria has had a number of arguments with her sisters and her cousin; she wants them to leave the farmhouse, and is considering selling it. She seeks advice whether Harriet, Iris and Jethro may be able to claim any interest in Galveston Manor, and, if so, whether they can prevent her selling the farmhouse. Advise Gloria.
Reply 1
i have concluded that hariettes ordeal can be seen as a resulting trust
however i have an issue with iris as to whether her situation can be seen as a constructive trust? or whether it would be something different?
Go through the different wayas in which each party might have an interest in the land.

- Is there an express trust?
- Is there a resulting trust?
- Is there a constructive trust?

RE: Jethro, is there a proprietary estoppel?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending