The Student Room Group

Contacting professors

This is going to sound crazy...

I'm looking at schools for my MPhil, and need to email some of the professors with some questions about research, departments, etc, but I'm getting all neurotic about it, and I keep putting it off! I keep worrying I'm going to say something insufferably stupid and make such a bad impression I'll manage to get rejected before I even apply!

Has anyone else felt like this, or is it merely another sign of my insanity? :rolleyes:
Just be yourself. Most professors appreciate students contacting them to ask about their research interests, courses they run, etc.
Reply 2
I know exactly what you mean. I hate sending off missives into the ether to people I've never met - people whose opinions are going to affect my future considerably, moreover. Terrifying.

But, yes, definitely best just to do it. You'll feel much better when it's not hanging over you. And I'm sure you won't make a bad impression: after all, you're e-mailing to ask what are almost certainly perfectly valid and sensible questions about their departments. And it's much better to contact department staff first rather than just sending in applications out of the blue.

Good luck. Where are you thinking of applying?
Do it, they're [supposed to be] educated and civilised people, they understand.
Thanks, everyone. I sent out some emails today, and I do feel a lot better knowing that it's done. :biggrin:

I'm not entirely sure where I'm applying yet, but I'm looking at Oxbridge, York, Sussex, Leeds, and Edingburgh in the UK, along with some schools at home (though I'd prefer to come to the UK).

Latest

Trending

Trending