The Student Room Group

Mr M's 1MA0 GCSE Maths Linear Higher Tier Paper 1 Answers Feb 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rupesh.sachdev
Mr M, can you please post the mark scheme for the mock paper - calculator...i have done the paper but i need to mark it, please help
thanx a lot

I'll make some worked answers later and scan them.
Original post by thespontaneous1
Last thing to ask you Mr M, what is the reasoning behind getting 68 degrees as the answer for Q19 can you talk me through it please......i want to make sure i didn't make a silly error. In addition to this, would you say the pixl paper for the calc exam is worth doing, i have a feeling the calc exam is going to be very hard.

The pixl paper is very similar to my one (but mine is slightly better). :wink: It won't hurt to do it.

I left my answers to yesterday's paper at school so can't remember where 68 degs came from.
Reply 62
Do you think the Mark scheme going o be easy or hard?
Original post by utsavi96
thanks mr m!! do you have any ideas of what the grade boundaries are?

No and neither does anyone else (including the Principal Examiner).
Original post by 08zabilowiczc
Hi MrM,

For the hemisphere question.. I remembered to add the base area as well but I just calculated the area of a circle wrong...

I got... 50 Pi

Then did... Pi x diameter.... to get 10 Pi

Meaning I got a total of 60 Pi.

Will that get me two marks or just the one?

2 I think for attempting to add the area of the base (even if it is wrong).
Original post by Ki1
Can you please upload the mark scheme so i can check my work, thank you! xo

As I have told others I will do so later.
Original post by Khan123456
Hey Mr M now you have a idea what's not coming on the paper 2 on monday can you give me a list of topics to revise on for 1mao/2h please

See the attached paper in post 1 of this thread. Start there.
Original post by thespontaneous1
He doesn't guess boundaries anymore, one year some TSR members got really aggressive when his guess was a handful of marks out from the actual thing.

You have a good memory!
On question 17 isn't of taking 18 to get 12/13 I added 18 (this always happens, silly mistakes), so I got x=48/13, I included all working out correctly up to that point, how many marks should I get?
Also for the consecutive proof I did (again silly) (n+1)^2-(n-1)^2=(n+1)+(n-1), will I get any marks, I dont think I will but still?
Thanks again in advance.
Original post by randlemcmurphy
So how did you find it?
Would you say it was hard, mediocre or easy, i lost quite a few easy marks, based on past experience in paper 1 I got (to me at least) around 80, would I still be able to get an a* or a high a, also do you think I should resit if i get an a yet not an a*, thanks in advance for replies. What is my problem is that I know what I am doing yet make silly mistakes, that is how I lost my marks. Would I still be able to get high a/a* if I try my hardest to prevent silly mistakes and get around 85-90+ marks, I won't hold a grudge if you are wrong, it is just because I don't really want to resit, because a high a is still a good grade isn't it?

It sounds like an A* is still possible if you do well in Paper 2.
Original post by mizan25
I have got the March 2013 PIxL Paper for the calculator linear Maths higher tier exam.
The school which i go to bought a couple of copies from PixL ...I Dont know if anyone has posted a thread but if Anyone wants it let me know ill message the topics which were predicted or just give the Scan the papers and send through PM..

Please don't do that. Membership of PiXL costs thousands of pounds and your school (and you) could end up in hot water if you start sharing their protected resources.

A better paper is freely available in post 1 of this thread.
Original post by randlemcmurphy
On question 17 isn't of taking 18 to get 12/13 I added 18 (this always happens, silly mistakes), so I got x=48/13, I included all working out correctly up to that point, how many marks should I get?
Also for the consecutive proof I did (again silly) (n+1)^2-(n-1)^2=(n+1)+(n-1), will I get any marks, I dont think I will but still?
Thanks again in advance.

17 drop 1 or more likely 2

Proof - no marks
Reply 72
For question 21 would you get a mark if you wrote...n^2+(n+1)^2+(n+2)^2....?
Original post by Mr M
x

I know I'm not the most reliable source but if you'd like, I can answer the questions for you from the mock, so you have less... if anything to do.

Although if it's more of a Hindrance I won't :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I know I'm not the most reliable source but if you'd like, I can answer the questions for you from the mock, so you have less... if anything to do.

Although if it's more of a Hindrance I won't :smile:

Go for it. It will save me a job. Do you have a scanner to post the answers?
Predicted Paper 2 topics list from MathsWatch at the link on the top of this page:

http://www.mathswatch.co.uk/
Reply 76
Original post by Mr M
Predicted Paper 2 topics list from MathsWatch at the link on the top of this page:

Thank you Mr M for your time in posting these answers. It gives us a good indication as to how we did. Everyone in our school was talking about you today lol. Saying that you've posted the mock paper and everyone was getting so excited.
Reply 77
Original post by Mr M

Mr M, for question 2c I wrote 230 as the estimate of scatter graph would I still get the mark?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
Go for it. It will save me a job. Do you have a scanner to post the answers?

Oh, I haven't shown workings :colondollar: I've just done the answers so far (up to 10 for now)... Although I do have a scanner... Shall I just latex them up here?

And if anyone has questions I'll answer, give you a rest!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Oh, I haven't shown workings :colondollar: I've just done the answers so far (up to 10 for now)... Although I do have a scanner... Shall I just latex them up here?

And if anyone has questions I'll answer, give you a rest!

I think you could write them on the paper with working and scan it but it is up to you. I used an online .pdf compressor to make it fit on TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending