The Student Room Group

Hardest GCSE Subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
History definitely.
Reply 341
Haha, why all the Physics hate? D: I found it to be the most enjoyable and easiest subject. English and other essay subjects were the hardest for me, I got too passionate about meaning that I forgot to refer to the structure of the texts.
PE- cos I'm **** at sport. :smile:
proof that english is hard, what bewilders me is that people pick english for A-Level which must be a lot harder, the sciences and maths are easy subjects if you understand the concepts, applying your knowledge is not so much of a problem, with english it is.
I can answer this in a lot of different ways :biggrin: The hardest GCSE to get a good grade in for me would be English and English Literature as our teacher tells us you cannot be taught how to get an A* you just have to be an original and for people like me, who have no originiality whatsoever its very difficult :frown:. Also, economics is hard to get a grade A* as the grade boundaries are very high- about 93% :/ But the hardest exam is probably chinese listening for me as they keep using words which have two meanings and I always get the wrong word! But the hardest subject is probably economics as its hard and has horrible boundaries :frown:
Reply 345
Well it was a tie between English Lit/Lang and French as I found them sooo difficult. But I picked French as I seem to somehow be getting decent grades in English :tongue:
Reply 346
Physics for sure ...
Original post by James A
proof that english is hard, what bewilders me is that people pick english for A-Level which must be a lot harder, the sciences and maths are easy subjects if you understand the concepts, applying your knowledge is not so much of a problem, with english it is.

Which is why you got a C in Biology AS... :rolleyes:
Reply 348
English is definitely not the hardest subject; it's only thre most popular because it's compulsery for everyone. I took CDT resistant materials, which was(no exaggeration) about as much work as all of my other subjects put together. For the last few months of year 11 I would spent every lunchtime working on my project, and on tuesday's after school. I ended up getting an A overall, which was pretty disappointing seeing as I got A*'s in other subjects which required much less work.
Reply 349
Geography

Cleaning up all those colouring pencil sharpenings is hard work
Original post by HereBeDragons
Which is why you got a C in Biology AS... :rolleyes:

so what, that's AS Levels.... what counts at the end of the day is my predictions and final A-level grade which will get me into university for pharmacy.

didn't know girls to be that rude on TSR
I don't think that any of my GCSEs were particularly hard in terms of intellect. However the work demand of Art and Design made it the most stressful.
For most of the academic subjects at GCSE, as long as you understand the concepts you really don't have to make much effort to get an acceptable grade. I remember being told by my maths teacher that I hadn't handed in one piece of hw for 2 terms and I slept in pretty much 40% of the lessons; I still managed to get an A with a bit of revision the night before though. (A levels on the other hand are completely different, I couldn't even begin to attempt A level maths :eek:)
In subjects like Art though, you can understand Art perfectly well but if you don't do the work you're not going to get anywhere. I didn't really do any work for Art either and I ended up having to stay behind for weeks in my study leave to fill my sketchbook with my teacher and bring my D to a B.
I put D&T, not because I find it too hard (although it can be surprisingly challenging at times) but because of the sheer amount of time and effort it takes.. simply drawing an A3 page of sketches takes aaaages :/
Reply 353
From what I've gathered from friends, history.
I didn't find any of my GCSEs difficult, I was just lazy.
Reply 354
Original post by James A
so what, that's AS Levels.... what counts at the end of the day is my predictions and final A-level grade which will get me into university for pharmacy.

didn't know girls to be that rude on TSR

It's okay she probably has cute feet
Original post by Zhy
Geography

Cleaning up all those colouring pencil sharpenings is hard work

haha. seriously though, besides that fun bit, some of GCSE geography is quite hard to get your head around.

Although I did hear that for someones first university lecture that they had to colour in a map, and also that they can now use computers to colour maps.
Reply 356
Maths. Without a doubt, maths.
I voted english. The subjective subjects are the hardest as there is no definative right answer so your examier has to judge it on their opinion. In other subjects if you had a harsh examier but forfilled the criteria the board set, getting the grade who be easier. However if the answer is subjective, guarenteeing the grade is much harder.
Reply 358
I don't think French is difficult. In fact it's pretty easy once you get your head around all the grammar and tenses, but it's so freaking hard to do well in. They're really harsh on how they mark the writing, and you're only allowed six hours to write and memorize a four hundred word essay. It's not just French, I've heard that people getting A's in every other subject and then getting D's in Spanish.

There isn't really a hardest subject for me. Some units I find more difficult in different subjects. I'd say the ones that are the hardest are the ones which expect really highly off you, like languages and english.
Reply 359
I'm surprised there are so many for English Lit, I don't find it nearly as difficult as History and Art. There is no right answer to anything :P Personally I find Art the hardest of the ones I study. I've heard that some universities don't think much of it and I've had a couple of teachers make remarks about how it's a bad choice to take but it really involves a lot of commitment and hard work, as well as talent. Besides that I've heard people say that the sciences are tough.

Quick Reply

Latest