The Student Room Group

Hardest GCSE Subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
For me, Maths (ESPECIALLY additional maths). I revised loads for it.. 2 hours after school everyday for the 2 months leading to the maths exam.
Geography is mine.
Where's Latin or Greek?
Don John
Where's Latin or Greek?

obviously, it's under language
I would imagine that engineering is quite hard even though they do not do it at my school,if they did it I would definitely do it.
Its gonna sounmd stupid but I found literature to be hard at times.LolEnglish Language all the way. :biggrin:
Music - why did I take it???? It's soo incredibly hard if you haven't had music tuition since you uttered your first word.

Having said that I'm predicted a good grade, and if I revise really hard (I've done ALL my coursework, which is worth 75% of my grade and I'm fairly pleased with how it went) I might scrape that mark, but in my mock paper I only just got a C.
steffi.alexa
Music - why did I take it???? It's soo incredibly hard if you haven't had music tuition since you uttered your first word.

Having said that I'm predicted a good grade, and if I revise really hard (I've done ALL my coursework, which is worth 75% of my grade and I'm fairly pleased with how it went) I might scrape that mark, but in my mock paper I only just got a C.

See that's odd - the ones with your sort of predicted grades who are taking it in my school are all getting at least a B in music - most are looking at As. Even the "less intelligent" people who took it are looking at a C! I guess either different exam board, better teacher or something.

I'm fairly sure all this varies a lot between teachers - both how good they are and how much they push you.
GemmyMonster
See that's odd - the ones with your sort of predicted grades who are taking it in my school are all getting at least a B in music - most are looking at As. Even the "less intelligent" people who took it are looking at a C! I guess either different exam board, better teacher or something.

I'm fairly sure all this varies a lot between teachers - both how good they are and how much they push you.

Lol, no I just didn't revise...and I had a cold and couldn't speak when I had to do my singing practical (Kinda hard to sing Phantom Of The Opera when you can barely whisper)...I ended up getting 7/30...I've re-done it and it went really well, so that should've bumped my garde up. (The practical was included in the paper mark)

If I sat the paper again, I would get a much better result because I've revised and have learnt that Bhangra does not originate from Bhangra....lol, I didn't know what to put, so I just thought "What the heck, I'll just put the style of music down"... :biggrin:
Reply 128
English? Hard? I guess it's one of those things that you've either got, or you haven't, I find it incredibly easy. Analysing the English language is easy, so is composing, especially descriptive. Although if I get the option for writing to persuade, that 's the best, throw in a few rhetorical questions, alliteration and creativity and bam, A*. The key seems to be thinking outside the box.

I find Spanish the most difficult, especially with the "imperfect", "preterite", "perfect", "present", it all blows my mind. It's great when it all comes together logically though. Like saying "voy visitar mis abuelos."
*voy a visitar mis abuelos

Sorry to correct you :wink:
Tsovehr
Although if I get the option for writing to persuade, that 's the best, throw in a few rhetorical questions, alliteration and creativity and bam, A*. The key seems to be thinking outside the box.

I can do all those things apart from the bit in bold - I get a most a low A for writing tasks and Ds for my poetry and media, leaving me with Cs in the exams. Analysis of any text in the world and "thinking outside the box" are two things that are very difficult to teach - you can either do English or you can't and whilst, with Maths, you can quite easily spend hours learning all the formulae and methods, you can't with English. The only people who get A*s in English are those who got lucky on the day of the exam or are naturally brilliant at it.

edit: crossed out "quite easily"
For me it is Maths and History.

But I found history a lot easier when we had some student teachers in for a few weeks - I think it's just our teacher :frown:

So I voted Maths.

english language. there's no right or wrong answer... so how do you know what you're doing is correct or not?
Reply 133
Ziffachan
*voy a visitar mis abuelos

Sorry to correct you :wink:

Yeah :p: I always think of infinitive verbs as "to <verb>", like "to visit".

bella0123
english language. there's no right or wrong answer... so how do you know what you're doing is correct or not?

Of course there is a right answer, it's just a lot more vague than say, the answer in maths. If there wasn't a right answer then how could they give you a mark?

Edit: Last year's English paper, one of the possible questions is "Describe your home." How hard can that be? Describe your home with a bit of flair and creativity and you've got a good mark. I'd start that question with:

"My home is not unique. Not even close. In fact, the only thing that gives it a separate identity from the other generic edifices on my street are the curtains. Although traditionally they are placed to decorate, I sense a malevolent reasoning - providing inhabitants a clandestine indoor environment with which to practice their wicked debaucheries. You may have gathered, in these few short sentences, that I do not like my home. However.."

I'd carry on like that, and at the end:

"My home is not perfect, but it is where I have been raised and where I learnt my virtues, and I give it all the respect that a conglomeration of furniture, brick and wiring can possibly behold."

since you are sooo good with engilsh, help me with my essay :P
im not sure if you've done it tho. its great expectations and how dickens create memorable and striking characters. any ideas on how to start the intro?
p.s. i'll just stick to maths in future. i suck at english.
Reply 135
bella0123
since you are sooo good with engilsh, help me with my essay :P
im not sure if you've done it tho. its great expectations and how dickens create memorable and striking characters. any ideas on how to start the intro?
p.s. i'll just stick to maths in future. i suck at english.

Haven't read it, only watched the film a few tims :redface:

For my courseworks I introduced the essay by giving a history of the book, the author and the general clique of the book. E.g. for Jekyll & Hyde I said Stevenson conceived it in a dream slash nightmare, and he was heavily influenced by other books (Dracula IIRC, not sure though). Wikipedia/the internet is your friend where stuff like that is concerned. From looking at the first line of Wiki's Great Expectations I came up with the following:

"Dickens first conceived "Great Expectations" around 1860, a time torn by the juxtaposition of industry and human creativity, and this is heavily featured in the novel"

(it probably isn't, but what the hell, teachers don't even seem to care about the "minor" details :biggrin: )

So yeah, stuff like that seems to get you the A*.
yh not so easy when i don't have any creativity or flare in writing! :frown:
according to my english teacher, i also suck at the english grammar. Great! life just can't any better. any help on that? :frown:
Reply 137
Read books, I guess. Good books, like 1984
Reply 138
I find Sciences the hardest!

Particularly Physics and Chemistry.

Am predicted A*s in both. But thats not gonna happen. :'(

xx
english lang and lit still is the hardest :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest