The Student Room Group

How to get a job as a HCA?

How did people get jobs in GP surgerys and hospitals as HCAs?

I'm a HCA with the north bristol trust and work at southmead. I'm on the staff bank so I work all over the hospital. I volunteered their beforehand which is how I got the contact details to apply. Recruitment processes differ trust to trust. Some have a steady intake and some intake in batches. Do you have any connections already? Why do you want to be a HCA?
Reply 2
Have a look here...........www.jobs.nhs.uk
Reply 3
Original post by Jacob :)
I'm a HCA with the north bristol trust and work at southmead. I'm on the staff bank so I work all over the hospital. I volunteered their beforehand which is how I got the contact details to apply. Recruitment processes differ trust to trust. Some have a steady intake and some intake in batches. Do you have any connections already? Why do you want to be a HCA?

I'm thinking of taking a gap year and wondered if its something I could do as I have heard of some people doing this in their gap years, how did you start volunteering?
Original post by mackie0088
I'm thinking of taking a gap year and wondered if its something I could do as I have heard of some people doing this in their gap years, how did you start volunteering?

Found the number of the lady who organises the volunteering online and phoned her. I'd recommend being a healthcare in your gap year it's probably the best thing you can do.
Reply 5
Found the number of the lady who organises the volunteering online and phoned her. I'd recommend being a healthcare in your gap year it's probably the best thing you can do.

Ok thanks I will look into it :smile:
Reply 6
Hey guys im gonna take a gap year and reapply. I want to do a HCA job. Can someone please tell me what kind of things this job entails? I want to see if its right for me :smile: Thanks
Original post by Gulzar
Hey guys im gonna take a gap year and reapply. I want to do a HCA job. Can someone please tell me what kind of things this job entails? I want to see if its right for me :smile: Thanks

I won't beat around the bush. You'll be expected to:

Wash people including bum and genitals.
Toilet people including cleaning them after.
Deal with lots of dementia patients which is upsetting.
Do simple paper work such as fluid balance charts.
Feed patients and assist them with drinking.
Take care of all other patient holistic needs.
Work horrible hours. I did my first 11 hour night shift on Tuesday.
Do CPR and other emergency care but it's far more likely more qualified staff will be there to do it.
And some times beat up junior doctors who ain't got no respect.

It's all true... Apart from the last one.
I applied through NHS jobs. I checked to see if there were any in my area.
Reply 9
I won't beat around the bush. You'll be expected to:

Wash people including bum and genitals.
Toilet people including cleaning them after.
Deal with lots of dementia patients which is upsetting.
Do simple paper work such as fluid balance charts.
Feed patients and assist them with drinking.
Take care of all other patient holistic needs.
Work horrible hours. I did my first 11 hour night shift on Tuesday.
Do CPR and other emergency care but it's far more likely more qualified staff will be there to do it.
And some times beat up junior doctors who ain't got no respect.

It's all true... Apart from the last one.

Screw that im not wiping any asses :angry:
Original post by Gulzar

Do you want to do medicine? Cus I'm pretty sure any doctor worth his salt doesn't mind wiping an ass or two.
Reply 11
Do you want to do medicine? Cus I'm pretty sure any doctor worth his salt doesn't mind wiping an ass or two.

Sorry it just seems so degrading. I want to help people sure but I dont know if I can go through with things like that ^^
Original post by Gulzar
Sorry it just seems so degrading. I want to help people sure but I dont know if I can go through with things like that ^^

Someone has to do it.
Reply 13
Original post by Gulzar

When you will be an old man, someone will have to wipe your bum.. Just don't think the worst about it because people themselves cannot do that on their own and that's why it's called "assistant".
Original post by Gulzar

Why do people think that's all an HCA does :confused:

Because it's not.

It's a hard job to be honest and if you can't handle that, which you'll need to do at times then no point in doing the job.

You'll be going thorugh, blood, phelm, vomit, handle the dying, have to be shouted at, hit. Paperwork. Do medication and dressings depending if you're a senior carer.
do a million things at once.

You're just basically a form of nurse just without the pay. :p:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Enchanté
Why do people think that's all an HCA does :confused:

Because it's not.

It's a hard job to be honest and if you can't handle that, which you'll need to do at times then no point in doing the job.

You'll be going thorugh, blood, phelm, vomit, handle the dying, have to be shouted at, hit. Paperwork. Do medication and dressings depending if you're a senior carer.
do a million things at once.

You're just basically a form of nurse just without the pay. :p:

Yeah I weighed the pros and cons and decided I'm gonna go for it :smile:
What do u mean without pay??? :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Original post by Gulzar

Don't just do this job if you think it's going to look good on your CV. Patients aren't stupid, they can tell if your heart isn't in it and if you find cleaning them is degrading you are doing it for the wrong reasons and I would find something else to fill your time.
Original post by Gulzar

Well they get double the amount than HCAs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending