The Student Room Group

Match these UK universities to their US counterparts...

York

UEA

Sussex

Exeter

Kent

Obviously you cannot, but I mean in terms of general reputation, prestige, etc.

Thanks...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ce488

York

UEA

Sussex

Exeter

Kent

Thanks...

York - Duke?
UEA - OSU
Sussex - UC Santa Cruz
Exeter - Cornell
Kent - Miami

See, it's hard to do..
Reply 2
Original post by Phil Dunphy
York - Duke?
UEA - OSU
Sussex - UC Santa Cruz
Exeter - Cornell
Kent - Miami

See, it's hard to do..

Bump
Reply 3
Original post by phil dunphy
bump

why are you bumping my thread?
Reply 4
Original post by ce488
why are you bumping my thread?

Sorry, meant to bump mine! :P
Original post by ce488

York

UEA

Sussex

Exeter

Kent

Thanks...

There really isn't an equivalent to these 1994-group small research universities in the US. The closest I can think of would be small, newer state universities -- someone else used UC Santa Cruz as an equivalent to Sussex and, yeah, that's about the closest you'll find. Maybe UW Milwaukee, Florida Atlantic, some privates like Northeastern or maybe Syracuse.
Reply 6
Original post by madamemerle
There really isn't an equivalent to these 1994-group small research universities in the US. The closest I can think of would be small, newer state universities -- someone else used UC Santa Cruz as an equivalent to Sussex and, yeah, that's about the closest you'll find. Maybe UW Milwaukee, Florida Atlantic, some privates like Northeastern or maybe Syracuse.

Just a rough comparison :tongue: My american penpal wants to know what college each uni is equivalent too... :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by madamemerle

Also, meant to put reading on there :tongue:
Reply 8
York - Duke?

Oh the Grand ol' Duke of York...
Reply 9
York - Duke?
UEA - OSU
Sussex - UC Santa Cruz
Exeter - Cornell
Kent - Miami

See, it's hard to do..

Your comparisons with Duke and Cornell are way off.. Cornell is more on power with Durham (if not higher, maybe even UCL) and Duke is way up there with Durham, St Andrews and Warwick.

Best thing to do would be either go on the Times World Uni rankings (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/world-ranking) or the QS World Uni Rankings (http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012) and simply find those UK Unis and find the nearest US unis.
Reply 10
According to the Times World Uni Rankings:

York - Vanderbilt Uni/University of Rochester
UEA - Georgetown University/Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Sussex - University of Virginia
Exeter - University of California, Riverside/Boston College
Kent - Isnt in top 400
Reply 11
Don't really know why you neg rated me.. I was just stating fact.
I have a question, which I can't seem to find the answer to. I was planning on doing biomedical science and then trying out for graduate medicine in the UK. However I was thinking of applying to USA, with most of the fees being paid for in bursaries and/maybe scholarships and a job and majoring in biochemistry or biological science. However I was wondering if when I came back to the UK to apply for graduate medicine or normal medicine, if I would get funding from the UK student finance, seeing as I would never have previously studied in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Someone rank these for me please.

LSE -
KCL -
University of Manchester -
Birmingham University -
Aston University -

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending