The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
i always used to book in advance, soooo much cheaper (especially if you have a young persons railcard - which are well worth the investment!), as Carl suggested, use the website and find out exactly how much it would cost from your nearest railway station
Reply 3
the station next to the campus is Falmer btw (not Brighton central station) :smile:
Reply 4
I find this site MUCH better http://www.traintimes.org.uk/

Doesn't tend to lie about prices as much as the Train Line does...
Reply 5
www.megabus.com

London Victoria to Brighton (stops at Sussex uni and in the town) for £1!!!!!
Reply 6
SkinnyJeans
www.megabus.com

London Victoria to Brighton (stops at Sussex uni and in the town) for £1!!!!!

Now thats wot i call value! Thanks for the tips guys, very useful :wink:
Reply 7
LOL! If it gets you there! The last 3 MegaBuses I've been on have broken down, leading to 3 hour waits on the M5 to be rescued!
Reply 8
OMG!! so would you recommend the train?
Reply 9
Going to Sussex from Heathrow (or perhaps City airport)... any suggestions?:confused:
Reply 10
For City, you can get the DLR [Docklands Light Railway] to Bank then either walk up the road to City Thames Link, or whizz round the Circle Line anticlockwise to Farringdon, and jump of the choo choo train :smile:

For Heathrow - that's on the Central Line isn't it? Or you can get hte Heathrow Express to Paddington, then sjip round on the Circle Line to afore mentioned train stations...
Fluffy
LOL! If it gets you there! The last 3 MegaBuses I've been on have broken down, leading to 3 hour waits on the M5 to be rescued!

Really! I have used megabus quite a bit and have never broken down. The trip can be a bit long cos it doesn't really use motorways, and sometimes it's a bit uncomfortable, but it's still so much more worth it than paying £20/£25 for the train.
Reply 12
SkinnyJeans
Really! I have used megabus quite a bit and have never broken down. The trip can be a bit long cos it doesn't really use motorways, and sometimes it's a bit uncomfortable, but it's still so much more worth it than paying £20/£25 for the train.

I used to be a fierce supporter of MegaBus (see threads I've posted in the past), despite what others said. However, I wouldn't ever use them again...

BTW National Express do £1 seats, and are generally more reliable...
Train is better than the Megabus. Megabus is good if you're lucky enough to be able to get the bus at one of the few times a day they depart... Trains depart every fifteen minutes or so at peak times, and run all night!

But yes, as Becca says, if you plan to go to Campus, get a ticket to Flamer. It usually costs the same as a ticket to Brighton, but saves extra hassle. And you can still get out at Brighton for a bit with that ticket too.

EDIT: Megabus do have a service to Falmer campus, but National Express you have to get off at Pool Valley, by the seafront. But the buses to campus ain't bad at all.
Reply 14
Going to Heathrow simplest thing is National Express. Quite a quick ride anyways. (1hr40 to T4, 1hr55 to T1/2/3 a bit more during peak hours).

London City as has been said is easy with the DLR now. I've personally made it from the airport to Brighton in 1hr15 but I ran like a mf :biggrin:

Haven't done LTN or STN from brighton yet.

In general with a rail card you can get one ways to London Bridge for about £8, probably less for a return if booked in advance. Thamleslink (now first capital connect) run 2x per hour to London (a few stations), whilst Southern are also 2x per hour but generally run non-stop (or 1) to Victoria.
Reply 15
So what would be most convenient, arriving in London as a foreigner with heavy luggage...Train? Or Coach, national express or megabuses? :p:

I tried to look up a flight to Gatwick airport, which seem be the easiest way to get to Brighton, but there where no flights at all from Stockholm to Gatwick... :frown:
Maybe get a connecting flight from an international airport, like Amsterdam, CDG...? I have no idea how viable an idea that is, mind. And with luggage, I reckon I'd go by train. Costs a little more, but worth it if you're having a stressful moving in day! I'd probably get the train to Brighton, then get a cab to my new front door from the taxi rank outside. A taxi to campus is about a tenner from the centre of town.
Reply 17
Ooo just remembered that the University run a minibus shuttle service from Falmer train station up to the campus residences on the arrival weekend (at the start of Freshers Week)

I assume they'll be running that again this year

Jo x
Reply 18
dogtanian
Maybe get a connecting flight from an international airport, like Amsterdam, CDG...? I have no idea how viable an idea that is, mind. And with luggage, I reckon I'd go by train. Costs a little more, but worth it if you're having a stressful moving in day! I'd probably get the train to Brighton, then get a cab to my new front door from the taxi rank outside. A taxi to campus is about a tenner from the centre of town.

Unfortunately there aren't anymore flights from CDG to LGW :frown:

LHR is easy enough though. Try to get a flight in arriving around mid afternoon. There aren't too many people who travel from LHR->LGW->Brighton on national express at those times.

I'd go for booking a one-way with SAS or BA as they have now adopted a fare strategy (for european flights) where round-trips dont mean lower fares anymore.

If you really want to avoid LHR, you can always take BA via Manchester to Gatwick. It costs a bit more though (and will take more time than just taking the first bus to Brighton).
Reply 19
Yeah, I know, flying directly to either LHR or LCA is alot cheaper than transferring in Manchester or Copenhagen. :p:

But won't I have to arrive in Brighton between certain hours, to get keys to accomodation etc? So I thought It'd be better to arrive at noon..? If the busses/trains are full, perhaps it's better to book a ticket in advance then?:confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending