The Student Room Group
Reply 1
x=1.75

Just differentiate the equation and you get dy/dx = 4x - 7

Equate that to 0, => 4x = -7, => x = 1.75.

The graph is quadratic, therefore symmetrical about its minimum point.
Reply 2
First divide by 2 so that the coefficient of x^2 is 1.

= 2(x^2 - 3.5x - 7.5)

Now complete the square:

= 2[(x+1.75)^2 - 7.5 - 1.75^2]
= 2[(x+1.75)^2 - 10.5625]
= 2(x+1.75)^2 - 21.125

This means that the minmum y value of this quadratic is at -21.125, and the x value which gives this min y is at 1.75. Thus your line of symmetry should be x=1.75
Reply 3
Excalibur
First divide by 2 so that the coefficient of x^2 is 1.

= 2(x^2 - 3.5x - 7.5)

Now complete the square:

= 2[(x+1.75)^2 - 7.5 - 1.75^2]
= 2[(x+1.75)^2 - 10.5625]
= 2(x+1.75)^2 - 21.125

This means that the minmum y value of this quadratic is at -21.125, and the x value which gives this min y is at 1.75. Thus your line of symmetry should be x=1.75

My method's way simpler. :aetsch:

Attached is a graph if you need some help visualising this.
Yes it is, but I think hellom is a GCSE student and differentiation isn't on the syllabus (atleast it wasn't when I did it)
Reply 5
MrTrig
Yes it is, but I think hellom is a GCSE student and differentiation isn't on the syllabus (atleast it wasn't when I did it)

You're kidding? :eek:

I know integration isn't in the GCE 'O' level syllabus, but differentiation certainly is!
Reply 6
Knogle

I know integration isn't in the GCE 'O' level syllabus, but differentiation certainly is!

Not in the UK it isn't.
Reply 7
YYYY
Not in the UK it isn't.

Right, okay. *restrains self from ranting about the different academic systems and their levels of difficulty*

To the OP: Disregard my method then, although you should keep in mind that there exists an alternative and simpler solution to your problem.
Reply 8
Yep I am a GCSE student ,so does anyone know the 'GCSE' method of working it out?

Thanks
The one that Excalibur showed, completing the square.
Reply 10
Hello!

As someone doing GCSE and AS level exams this year (don't ask) I can assure you that differentiation is not on the Higher Level syllabus. Neither is integration. You'd have to complete the square on that question. (apparently if I tried to do that question by differentiating in my GCSE exam (and got the correct answer) I wouldn't actually get any marks.)

love danniella
Reply 11
Another simple solution exists:

2x27x15\huge 2x^2-7x-15
(2x+3)(x5)\huge (2x+3)(x-5)
Roots:32,5\huge Roots: -\frac{3}{2}, 5
5+(32)=72)\huge 5+(-\frac{3}{2}) = \frac{7}{2})
72/2=74\huge \frac{7}{2}/ 2 = \frac{7}{4}

x=74\huge x = \frac{7}{4}
I prefer the completing the square method anyway, you don't have to assume any symmetry , you just find it in tandem with finding where it's at (yea, I know where the symmetry is at, init!)
Reply 13
KAISER_MOLE
I prefer the completing the square method anyway, you don't have to assume any symmetry , you just find it in tandem with finding where it's at (yea, I know where the symmetry is at, init!)

You don't assume symmetry. You know it's symmetrical just by looking at the equation.
Knogle

What the hell are O-levels? :p:

GCSEs replaced O-levels (at least in the UK, I dunno where you live) years ago. And are a lot simpler, admittedly. But you do more of them I think. Differentiation is in C1, the first (and easiest) core maths module of the A-level syllabus, as is integration, since the two are viewed as complementary, like multiplication and division (even though I know they're not quite).

As said before, the easiest (GCSE) way to do it is as follows:

y = 2x² -7x - 15
= 2(x² - 3.5x - 7.5)
= 2[(x - 1.75)² - 1.75² - 7.5]
= 2[(x - 1.75)² - 10.5625]
= 2(x - 1.75)² - 21.125

Squaring something is independent of the sign. If you square -3 you get 9, just as you do if you square 3. In fact, squaring any real number (for GCSE, read "squaring any number") will give you 0 or more. So the smallest that (blahhh)² can be is 0. In this case, (blahhh) = (x - 1.75). When (blahhh)² = 0, y = -21.125 (try it). This will be the lowest point on the graph (because any other value of (blahhh) will give you something bigger) and therefore the axis of symmetry will pass through it.

So:

y = -21.125
2(x - 1.75)² - 21.125 = 21.125
2(x - 1.75)² = 0
(x - 1.75)² = 0
x - 1.75 = 0
x = 1.75.

There's your equation.

Sorry that was so drawn out, I don't know how good you are at maths, but I hope you understood that and know sensibly which bits you could do with leaving out in the real exam and don't start spewing ten pages of crap for three marks or something. :smile:
Reply 15
generalebriety
What the hell are O-levels? :p:

GCSEs replaced O-levels (at least in the UK, I dunno where you live) years ago. And are a lot simpler, admittedly. But you do more of them I think. Differentiation is in C1, the first (and easiest) core maths module of the A-level syllabus, as is integration, since the two are viewed as complementary, like multiplication and division (even though I know they're not quite).

Yeah, many Commonwealth countries (e.g. Sri Lanka, Singapore) still use the 'O' levels.

The average kid in Singapore does 8 subjects, and the brightest do 11. The poorest do 6.
KAISER_MOLE

What exactly did you just say, in words?
Knogle
Yeah, many Commonwealth countries (e.g. Sri Lanka, Singapore) still use the 'O' levels.

The average kid in Singapore does 8 subjects, and the brightest do 11. The poorest do 6.

I hope you mean least intelligent and not poorest.
Reply 18
Not least intelligent. There are several kids who are intelligent but too lazy for their own good, and end up doing badly at their few 6 subjects.

Latest