The Student Room Group

Please get your pets from shelters! (Warning : Sad pictures!)

It blows my mind how many people still get their pets from breeders, when shelters are overflowing at the moment. Alot of this is also because please don't get their pets spayed/neutered!

I visited an animal shelter awhile back and did a weeks work experience following it, and it was heart wrenching that so many animals were having to be euthanized because they didn't have homes to go to! Still haven't got over the sights I saw, still to this day makes me cry.

These are not my photos, but they are very similar to the sights I saw. Animals in the shelter on their way to be put down due to not having homes to go to :

Please, if any families or friends of yours are thinking of getting pets from breeders - tell them to go straight to their local shelter instead!!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Amen. People are so irresponsible when it comes to animals, it sickens me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
They just don't think at all, it's all about money money money

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm looking at getting a kitten in a few months and a shelter has crossed my mind of course. Even with a dog. But often they come very sensitive and scared and you don't get that with a breeder. And you get all these home checks which is something else I don't want. It won't stop me going and looking. There is a shelter down the road from me which I have been several times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The problem lies with the heartless arse-holes who get pets they cannot look after, then mistreat them and send them to shelters.
Reply 5
We've got our last 4 dogs from a dog shelter. Sadly, they've all had issues of some sort and at least 2 were strays.

When we went to get our last one, we looked at another dog first and took ours up. The staff weren't 100% sure that this dog would be suitable and we asked who do they think would be better? They suggested a dog who looked a bit strange. (his eyes are yellow / pale brown)
Reply 6
:frown::frown: it breaks my heart to see pictures like that.

If I get another dog after mine has gone, then I will get one from a shelter.Actually I would love nothing more in the world than to go to somewhere like Battersea and bring all of the dogs home with me!
I always remember at one shelter them getting some guy to walk a dog whenever someone arrived to make it look like they're always doing it :colonhash: or that's what i assumed
Reply 8
I rescued my 6 month old kitten from the streets of my home town. He was a tiny baby when I found him but he was quite sick. We never get our pets from breeders. The best way is to get a pet from someone else's who has just given birth. This way you know you are getting a clean pet that doesn't have any issues and you basically prevent a pet from ending up at the shelter in the first place. Also, as my country has lots of stray animals, this is another way to get a pet.
Reply 9
Horrible, horrible pictures. There's not enough rules and regulations to control these things. My dog isn't from a shelter, but from a family friend whose dog had pups, but I will definitely go to a shelter in the future. It's awful that those poor animal's lives are put to an end before they've even started, all because of people being greedy.
OP, since you are saying you've worked there, do they euthanise all animals that don't find a home or only sick/old ones? Is there generally a practice as to when euthanising becomes an option?
I am trying to get my head around to how shelters work and what they really do to animals there. Any info you have (pm if you prefer) would be appreciated.
Reply 11
I got my both my cats from a rescue shelter, and it has been amazing to watch them transform into sociable, affectionate animals from two scared, skinny cats in a small cage.

Cheesy but true :redface:
Reply 12
Original post by *Corinna*
OP, since you are saying you've worked there, do they euthanise all animals that don't find a home or only sick/old ones? Is there generally a practice as to when euthanising becomes an option?
I am trying to get my head around to how shelters work and what they really do to animals there. Any info you have (pm if you prefer) would be appreciated.

I only really witnessed the euthanasia procedure near the end of my time there , but from what I can see they have a certain time that the animals have to find homes. If they are strays that may have infections/diseases etc - their time to find a home is much shorter :frown: Especially if the animals have come from abusive homes that may be a threat to other animals, sometimes they are put down within the first week!

It really is shocking and distressing, after my shifts working there I certainly hugged my cats that little bit more! I hate how cruel humans can be :frown:
I'd love to get 2 or 3 cats from a shelter when I have my own place, but I'm allergic to them so I'll probably have to get immunotherapy first :frown:
Different shelters have different policies. There are quite a lot of places where it is a few people who have set something up and are adament they will never put a healthy animal down. Other places, such as the RSPCA and others which are also limited by resources and have more of an infrastructure tend to have policies of some sort.

Like I say, they will vary, but generally places will euthanise very sick or very aggressive animals early on. It doesn't make sense to spend charity money in that way, when you could use it to help an animal more likely to be rehomeable. Then places may have to start making decisions - animals which are old, ill, or generally not likely to be rehomed easily may have to by put to sleep to make room for something else. For example, it seems wrong to turn down a young, healthy, friendly dog but keep an old, diabetic, aggressive dog in the hope that you may find someone at some point happy to rehome it.

For people who are saying about getting pets from friends who have pets who have had kittens/puppys. That is just as bad as a breeder to a large degree - many people think it is nice to let their pet have babies (plus the added bonus of selling them and getting money for them!), when in reality all they are doing it ending up with another 4/5/6/7 animals to find homes - rather than people rehoming them from shelters.
Reply 15
Original post by OU Student
We've got our last 4 dogs from a dog shelter. Sadly, they've all had issues of some sort and at least 2 were strays...

This is sadly true.

It's all well and good rescuing a dog, but there are many people out there, such as those with young children who cannot take the risk of adopting a dog with potential problems. My uncle rescued his dog last year and she cannot be touched anywhere on her back or head (probably since she was beaten there). She's a sorry state for a dog, it's so sad. He can't take her out in public since someone would inevitably go to stroke her and she would bite in return. It's obviously not her fault in any way and my uncle has given her a lot of love and attention but she still can't be trusted. I guess rescue pets can take time and effort which some people don't want or don't have time to give.
Original post by rachel.h
This is sadly true.

It's all well and good rescuing a dog, but there are many people out there, such as those with young children who cannot take the risk of adopting a dog with potential problems. My uncle rescued his dog last year and she cannot be touched anywhere on her back or head (probably since she was beaten there). She's a sorry state for a dog, it's so sad. He can't take her out in public since someone would inevitably go to stroke her and she would bite in return. It's obviously not her fault in any way and my uncle has given her a lot of love and attention but she still can't be trusted. I guess rescue pets can take time and effort which some people don't want or don't have time to give.

That's sad. :frown: One of the dogs we got now, who was a stray, used to have some serious issues with noise. He didn't bark for 4 days, (that was a shock when he finally did bark - wasn't expecting him to be that loud!) didn't like sudden noises and doesn't like traffic. We got him in 2008 and he's come such a long way since then. :smile: He's so laid back too. I managed to accidentally poke him in the eye and he sat there and did nothing.

The other dog we have now, had 2 previous owners and is very hyper. He lived in a home with a baby and used to get hit if he went near the baby. When he's quiet, he's lovely (and such a creep) and when he's hyper, he can be so naughty at times.
Regardless of situation people could rescue if they wanted. I foster for a rescue and they often have puppies or pregnant dogs in, and many of the dogs handed in are much loved pets whose owners have died, or can't afford to keep the dog any more, or have split up/divorced and neither can keep the dog on their own. As well as those there are dogs whose owners didn't realise what a commitment they were when they took them on or didn't expect their cute little puppy to grow up so big. These dogs haven't been abused, don't come with psychological problems, etc etc. They are just victims of circumstance.

I won't ever buy a dog. I understand the risk of a dog if you have children so I'd either rescue a puppy or ask for a dog from a foster home so you know what their personality is like once they've settled in.
Reply 18
Original post by kookabura
Different shelters have different policies. There are quite a lot of places where it is a few people who have set something up and are adament they will never put a healthy animal down. Other places, such as the RSPCA and others which are also limited by resources and have more of an infrastructure tend to have policies of some sort.

Like I say, they will vary, but generally places will euthanise very sick or very aggressive animals early on. It doesn't make sense to spend charity money in that way, when you could use it to help an animal more likely to be rehomeable. Then places may have to start making decisions - animals which are old, ill, or generally not likely to be rehomed easily may have to by put to sleep to make room for something else. For example, it seems wrong to turn down a young, healthy, friendly dog but keep an old, diabetic, aggressive dog in the hope that you may find someone at some point happy to rehome it.

For people who are saying about getting pets from friends who have pets who have had kittens/puppys. That is just as bad as a breeder to a large degree - many people think it is nice to let their pet have babies (plus the added bonus of selling them and getting money for them!), when in reality all they are doing it ending up with another 4/5/6/7 animals to find homes - rather than people rehoming them from shelters.

Agreed, agreed, agreed.  If anything, I'd say it's worse than buying from a breeder. Professional, responsible breeders will breed healthy, well bred dogs and ensure that they go to good, responsible homes who will care for them for their whole lives.

People who just let their animals breed as they please are completely irresponsible. Many don't give much thought for the health of their own animals before they bring more into the world.

An example of this - we bought our GSD as a puppy from a very highly regarded breeder (who did not breed the the silly sloped-back show strain). She is now 15 years old and she has never had ANY health problems, and the breeders still keep in contact with us. However we bought our Springer Spaniel from someone who had just had a stud dog come out to their pet - they were not a breeder. He broke his elbow (weak elbows can be genetic in spaniels) and had a weak heart - he died of heart failure last year at age 9.

People who breed dogs as a living take what they do very seriously. Many people who just breed because they can often don't care what happens to the puppies. THIS is the problem. IMO, there should be some sort of legal requirement around getting your animal neutered/spayed if you are not a registered breeder.

And I agree with what people are saying about adopting a dog. Often with these dogs, they can be as much of a commitment than a puppy due to their issues and people should also realise this.

The reason I have related most of my post to dogs is because cats are just constantly breeding and so, so many of them are just strays and not really the fault of people. Domestics cats just run away and breed and never come back whereas this doesn't really happen with dogs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by c3rys

Agreed, agreed, agreed.  If anything, I'd say it's worse than buying from a breeder. Professional, responsible breeders will breed healthy, well bred dogs and ensure that they go to good, responsible homes who will care for them for their whole lives.

People who just let their animals breed as they please are completely irresponsible. Many don't give much thought for the health of their own animals before they bring more into the world.

An example of this - we bought our GSD as a puppy from a very highly regarded breeder (who did not breed the the silly sloped-back show strain). She is now 15 years old and she has never had ANY health problems, and the breeders still keep in contact with us. However we bought our Springer Spaniel from someone who had just had a stud dog come out to their pet - they were not a breeder. He broke his elbow (weak elbows can be genetic in spaniels) and had a weak heart - he died of heart failure last year at age 9.

People who breed dogs as a living take what they do very seriously. Many people who just breed because they can often don't care what happens to the puppies. THIS is the problem. IMO, there should be some sort of legal requirement around getting your animal neutered/spayed if you are not a registered breeder.

And I agree with what people are saying about adopting a dog. Often with these dogs, they can be as much of a commitment than a puppy due to their issues and people should also realise this.

The reason I have related most of my post to dogs is because cats are just constantly breeding and so, so many of them are just strays and not really the fault of people. Domestics cats just run away and breed and never come back whereas this doesn't really happen with dogs.

Very true. I've seen so many puppies and kittens at vets for first vaccines, and 9 times out of 10 the ones that are too young, have got fleas and/or worms and not been treated etc etc are the ones that are from either back yard/puppy farm type breeders (which is another rant entirely, or from people who mean well, but just don't have a clue).

With regards to cats - yes, they are constantly breeding, but imo, there is absolutely no reason at all not to get your cat neutered. The number of times I have helped neuter pregnant cats which rescue centres have ended up with, and they have requested that they are neutured as they literally wouldn't be able to cope with yet more cats. There is no reason to not neuter them when you get them!

With regards to problem adoption pets - like someone has said, yes, some will have problems - but if you are happy to spend time looking for the right pet there are plenty that have come for perfectly innocent reasons - their owner has emigrated, moved house, split up, can't afford it, died...etc. It just means looking round different places rather than just decided you want a puppy and buying it straight away.

Quick Reply

Latest