The Student Room Group

Would a Master's be advisable for BM4?

Hi!
I've applied to study Graduate medicine this year but I'm not expecting to receive any offers (jusssst missed entrance exam cut offs and still waiting to hear back for some).
I've got the chance to convert my current 3 year degree in Biomedical Science to a 4 year Master's course.
Does anyone know whether Medical schools prefer this/think it's a waste of time? I've tried to get in contact with them myself to ask but obviously they're very busy at the moment with applications so it's hard to get an answer!
With regards to not taking a year out and getting more work experience - I don't believe this would stop me from receiving an offer in the future as I've been adding to my work experience for the past four years, and would be able to volunteer during the University breaks too.

I'm really really stuck on whether to stay at University and study for the Master's (perhaps this would help in later life?) or whether to come home and get a job for now...so any advice would be really appreciated!

Well if you already have the 2:1 it won't help your application to medicine unless you can somehow blag it on the personal statement.
Masters these days are near enough redundant in our field as biomedical scientists; the only genuine reason to do a Masters these days is as a foothold to a PhD if you didn't get a 1st class degree. Many employers will offer the chance to study for a Masters degree (e.g. the clinical scientist programme).

If you're planning on doing research afterwards if you don't get into medicine, and you don't have much lab experience from your degree, it's a good idea as you won't get a PhD without it. If you've got good lab experience from a final year project and a placement, you probably don't need one if you have a 1st class degree, but you might with a 2:1 or lower.

Quick Reply

Latest