The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh I always do that look if I don't get my own way.
Reply 21
Hmmm, I think sometimes you can "spoil" people in relationships and they can become brattish if they get their emotional way too often. You could end up being "taken for granted" and your feelings could become less important to her.

I'm not saying your gf doesn't have reasons for her upset, but I don't think it's unfair to expect some consideration in return. Maybe you should have a word with her about it. I don't really know how you can take a proactive stance in helping her with her problems, but you need to.

Do you think maybe she's worried about you going on to do your degree and you becoming interested in other people and her being left out etc? This is perfectly normal jealousy and fear (happens a lot at the beginning of a relationship) and something she has to work through on her own.

Sorry I'm not of much help, but basically she needs to have your help in getting her act together and you need to perhaps step back a bit and not pamper or respond to her all the time.
Reply 22
thank you blissy, a lot of what you say rings true. she is sometimes worried about that sorta thing and she jokes about it sometimes -working both ways which i dont mind at all. its only banter, but with her im sure shes a bit frightened of me running off. i dont cheat and i've told her but whether she accepts that i cant help with.
im not sure what the main problem about me goin for a degree is but i think its cos she wants to move out of her house with her mum. she has to do it herself if i go to college cos i can't afford to it myself.
i do feel shes been taking advantage -not deliberatly but perhaps self consciuos. and now i'm jus taking steps to be more independant cos she makes me feel bad if she doesnt get her own way. and im hoping that it will encourage her to do the same. she's made a start though in fairness to her bcos shes applied for a good job.
Reply 23
Anonymous
thank you blissy, a lot of what you say rings true. she is sometimes worried about that sorta thing and she jokes about it sometimes -working both ways which i dont mind at all. its only banter, but with her im sure shes a bit frightened of me running off. i dont cheat and i've told her but whether she accepts that i cant help with.
im not sure what the main problem about me goin for a degree is but i think its cos she wants to move out of her house with her mum. she has to do it herself if i go to college cos i can't afford to it myself.
i do feel shes been taking advantage -not deliberatly but perhaps self consciuos. and now i'm jus taking steps to be more independant cos she makes me feel bad if she doesnt get her own way. and im hoping that it will encourage her to do the same. she's made a start though in fairness to her bcos shes applied for a good job.

You are just agreeing with whatever makes you feel good. She will never be over losing a baby. It is an entirely different thing for a woman. No, you should not be supporting her financially, that is her responsibility. Equally though, after that her feelings are going to have to come first for an awful long time for the relationship to work.
Reply 24
Lay off the guy HE has lost a child too in all of this.
never easy I know.. :smile:
OP: your girlfriend sounds fairly demanding to me.
allymcb2
Equally though, after that her feelings are going to have to come first for an awful long time for the relationship to work.
I'm going to have to disagree with most of what you've said in the thread. I think any relationship where one person totally comes before the other all the time is a pretty crap one. If she comes first for an awfully long time is he supposed to just run around like a puppy dog, gazing adoringly at her whilst she tromps all over him?
allymcb2
You should have learnt now what upsets her and how to avoid it
So he needs to have discovered every single thing which ever annoys her and to change his behaviour to ensure that it never ever happens? The key word is compromise. OK maybe the OP may have done some irritating stuff. So she should wait until she calms down a bit and then speak to him in a reasonable manner about what it is that annoys her, rather than ranting or sulking. If it seems like something reasonable then they can figure out a way to prevent it happening so much. Equally she needs to be told what it is that she is doing that annoys the OP. It should not be a one sided effort because then one person is always left feeling hard done by and the other person can (sometimes unintentionally) end up taking advantage.

I don't believe it is entirely different for men and women to go through the situation of miscarriage. You've both lost the potential opportunity to become parents. Rather than her taking it out on him, it should be shared support and unhappiness. I'd seek professional counselling for her and quite possibly for you, OP. It might be an idea to have a few separate sessions with the same counsellor and then to join together and really talk through the situation with some support there in the form of the counsellor.

OP: Was this a planned pregnancy? I ask because if things are a bit rocky it would probably be very inadvisable to try again until they settle down. Last thing either of you wants is to bring a baby into the middle of an already turbulent relationship. It will not help to make your relationship better for the forseeable future. You also mentioned that you want to go and study nursing. Although not impossible to do with a young child, it would be hard to go to take up full time study without loads of daycare.

You need to reset the balance of this relationship. You've both been through this loss so comfort each other. Start to work more as a twosome and less of one person doing everything. Otherwise you're going to start to resent her for it always being about her.
After all my experiences i don;t think all girls are the same.
Anonymous
are all girls the same?

Yes, they do all indeed have heads, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes.
Reply 29
sounds normal...especially after a miscarriage
Reply 30
allymcb2
You are just agreeing with whatever makes you feel good. She will never be over losing a baby. It is an entirely different thing for a woman. No, you should not be supporting her financially, that is her responsibility. Equally though, after that her feelings are going to have to come first for an awful long time for the relationship to work.

that right? i'm not agreeing to anything just because it's what i want to hear thank you very much, i just happen to agree with it as i have the same point of view on it. relationships are always a two way street, no matter which way you look at it. and for you to expect me to put in all the work without any support from her at all is frankly ridiculous. you ever had a relationship? they don't work that way. i'm compassionate and understanding to her feelings, and im there all the time for her but it must be reciprocated.

rosetinted
OP: your girlfriend sounds fairly demanding to me.I'm going to have to disagree with most of what you've said in the thread. I think any relationship where one person totally comes before the other all the time is a pretty crap one. If she comes first for an awfully long time is he supposed to just run around like a puppy dog, gazing adoringly at her whilst she tromps all over him?So he needs to have discovered every single thing which ever annoys her and to change his behaviour to ensure that it never ever happens? The key word is compromise. OK maybe the OP may have done some irritating stuff. So she should wait until she calms down a bit and then speak to him in a reasonable manner about what it is that annoys her, rather than ranting or sulking. If it seems like something reasonable then they can figure out a way to prevent it happening so much. Equally she needs to be told what it is that she is doing that annoys the OP. It should not be a one sided effort because then one person is always left feeling hard done by and the other person can (sometimes unintentionally) end up taking advantage.

I don't believe it is entirely different for men and women to go through the situation of miscarriage. You've both lost the potential opportunity to become parents. Rather than her taking it out on him, it should be shared support and unhappiness. I'd seek professional counselling for her and quite possibly for you, OP. It might be an idea to have a few separate sessions with the same counsellor and then to join together and really talk through the situation with some support there in the form of the counsellor.

OP: Was this a planned pregnancy? I ask because if things are a bit rocky it would probably be very inadvisable to try again until they settle down. Last thing either of you wants is to bring a baby into the middle of an already turbulent relationship. It will not help to make your relationship better for the forseeable future. You also mentioned that you want to go and study nursing. Although not impossible to do with a young child, it would be hard to go to take up full time study without loads of daycare.

You need to reset the balance of this relationship. You've both been through this loss so comfort each other. Start to work more as a twosome and less of one person doing everything. Otherwise you're going to start to resent her for it always being about her.

compromise is all i'm after and sometimes i just feel i don't get it. a little less sulking and pickin up arguments would be a jem too! i swear i;m not being biased to myself but i rarely pick arguments, i nearly always have to respond to them. i have asked if its bcos its me being an idiot and deserve it but i jus don't see it.

no the pregnancy wasn't planned, it jus happened as did everything else. she did want another one, she was quite quick about talking about it after the miscarriage. i mean i completely understand, she's devestated and wanted another chance at being a mum. i said no though becasue we're not as strong as we should be and i want to go to do nursing so i could provide properly later on. as you say it would be far too difficult with a little one in tow so id have to drop my career plans if it came to that. during the pregnancy i was ready to drop everything and get a job, i was looking bcos it had to be done as finances were critical. i didn't resent it i jus got on with it bcos it had to be done. but now circumstances have changed and i need to do this for myself and for her if she's still going to be there.

we had a 'chat' yesterday and she was moaning about me not having any money. i couldn't buy her a bloody cardigan cos i was skint. i patiently explained about me being in college and cant afford much. she then moved on about how we won't be able to get a place together for the same reason etc. i said i need to go to college to get a career that will set us up for life. i said that if she wants a place then she'l need to do most of it herslef becasue i won't be in a position to help much with it. i can support and do what i can but the graft is going to have to come from her. she got really moody over it and started sayin how she didnt picture her life being like this. she even said she doesn't see herslelf at the end of my 3yrs in uni. that's her choice and frankly i nearly told her what she could do. shes had loadsa boyfrends who were quite well off and she's probly not used to the situation. in any case tho it's irritating cos it makes me feel bad then.

what's really annoying is that some days she can be completely fine and not be a problem and we'l actually enjoy each other's company. they're gettin less often tho :s-smilie:

im playing catch up in college now becasue i missed about 3months worth of work due to the pregnancy an everythin. im now in the middle of my exams.

and hey carl, i dont think all girls are really all the same. i know an awful lot are really lovely. thanks everyone for your posts....they're really helpful. :smile:
No, this is one of the few things I don't envy about blokes. Girls can be right divas at times and I'm going to make no bones about it. I can be one for sulking. That said, my ex used to be just like that, all sulky and I don't know why but for about a year it worked and I just wanted to give him a cuddle and stop him being moody. After a while I got fed up, though and we ended up hating each other. (he started to hate me for not being as insecure as him, even though I was but just hid it)
Segat1
Babe, it sounds like she's not over the loss of your baby - did you have any councelling? Enough? Do you need more?

The thing is, we girls assume you guys are as intuitive as we gals are - i.e. girls notice haircuts, boys don't. ok huge generalisation regarding hair, but boys just don't pick up on little signs we put out.

You need to sit her down and say what is wrong and tell her you won't get angry. Tell her you've noticed she's not been very happy recently. And listen. if she doesnt want to tell you then, she knows you've noticed. And when she is ready, she knows you're there.

Good luck.

Totally agree. Didn't see the miscarriage thing. My sympathies are with you, too though because you lost your child as well. I agree that counselling is the best idea.
Reply 33
i have asked her if she'd talk to her doctor or a councillor but she hates them, she's had to have some before over something and she didn't appreciate the help they were trying to give her. i mean i know it doesn't work for everyone so i dont push it. it does mean however that i gotta deal with everything. i have talked to her, asked her what's wrong and that i know she's not happy. she mostly says she'l be ok. i remind her im here all the time. although she's been better about the miscarriage thing lately. it hasnt been an issue of late so i'm assuming that she moving on woth her life more. i know that's not necessarily the case but on the outside its what it appears. the problem is more to do with mundane spats that couples go through.
Reply 34
Jelkin
I know you've gone through a lot with the miscarriage as well, but it was in her body, growing inside her...can you even imagine the impact it must have had on her? Of course she's going to be insecure after it. It's the kind of thing that can make a girl feel as though she's failed as a woman. I think you need to keep being there for her.

To be honest, though, it's difficult to answer any of your questions because you're a bit vague. What gives you the feeling she doesn't want you to take the degree? What ridiculous things does she keep getting angry about?

omg it was his child too! so, does that mean because it was growing in her he isn't allowed to be as upset as her? was the child more hers than his? that was a dreadful thing to say!

i am so sorry to hear that you lost a kid, what a horrid thing. she sounds really unbalanced and i reckon she ought to get herself sorted. she cant live the rest of her life relying on people complimenting her all of the time, people will get really fed up of that. I am not saying that her insecurities are irrational, but you suggested they were in place before the miscarriage so she does need to get herself sorted.

perhaps have a conversation about this and make sure you both come to a conclusion. talk about what you both want out of the relationship, and where you both see yourselves. make sure you both agree.

also, talk about how she is hurting you. talk about everything! just MAKE SURE YOU COME TO A CONCLUSION! otherwise the chat will be pointless.

sorry again to hear about your loss, good luck with everything,
carly
xxx
are all girls the same?

... A-a-a-a-and eyes and ears and mouth and nose.
Reply 36
yes ron, well done :congrats:
hello_its_me_
omg it was his child too! so, does that mean because it was growing in her he isn't allowed to be as upset as her? was the child more hers than his? that was a dreadful thing to say!

i am so sorry to hear that you lost a kid, what a horrid thing. she sounds really unbalanced and i reckon she ought to get herself sorted. she cant live the rest of her life relying on people complimenting her all of the time, people will get really fed up of that. I am not saying that her insecurities are irrational, but you suggested they were in place before the miscarriage so she does need to get herself sorted.

perhaps have a conversation about this and make sure you both come to a conclusion. talk about what you both want out of the relationship, and where you both see yourselves. make sure you both agree.

also, talk about how she is hurting you. talk about everything! just MAKE SURE YOU COME TO A CONCLUSION! otherwise the chat will be pointless.

sorry again to hear about your loss, good luck with everything,
carly
xxx

Woah! They weren't saying it wasn't his loss too! I've had a misscarriage and I can agree exactly with what Jelkin said. It's true that the mother has a bond with the child. Be fair.
Reply 38
well as hard as it is to understand us grls at the best of times its impossible to say if its normal or not
everygirl is different so it could be a number of things
just sit down and have a talk with her ask her whats really on her mind
she might be better after you clear things up a little.
she might just need someone to talk to:smile:
it's so damn difficult to understand girls !!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending