The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Unconditional Offer

Hi guys!
So I got a letter this morning, and it seems Birmingham have decided to make my offer for BSc Economics unconditional (provided I firm choice it)!
Firstly, has anyone else received such a privilege? I have never heard of this happening before, personally (not suggesting I'm anything special, mind).
And secondly, given my other offers (Manchester, Leeds, Bristol + still waiting on LSE), what would you do in my position? Take the unconditional, breeze through (if not drop) A levels? Or carry on working hard, and aim for (my already lowered AAB) Bristol economics offer, and hold on hope for LSE?
Any suggestions/thoughts welcome! :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know what to suggest but it's a great option. Well done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
I also received an unconditional offer from Uni Of Birmingham for economics BSC today, was so surprised. :biggrin:

I plan to see what my results are next Thursday for January results as I did modules in each of my 4 subjects. If I get A*A*A results or so, then I probably wont accept Birmingham's offer as I want to go to Nottingham ideally (A*AA requirement), but if I dont get A*s or even get a B or something, then I will certainly consider Birmingham because its an amazing offer. Its a tough choice for you OP.
(edited 11 years ago)
Same here.

Its a tough choice. I want to go to Exeter which is an AAA offer as well which I should be able to make, but maths will be a challenge.
I might email them and try and get it put down to AAB or lower regardless, worth a shot.
The temptation to take the unconditional and give up on work for a few months is pretty damn tempting though.
Original post by MrLawrence
Or carry on working hard, and aim for (my already lowered AAB) Bristol economics offer, and hold on hope for LSE?

How did your offer for Bristol end up getting lowered?
Did they give it to you at AAB at the start or did it happen later?

I haven't applied for Bristol I'm looking to try and achieve a similar thing though.

Maybe I'll even contact Exeter and try and blag a lower offer from then since I can say I have an unconditional from elsewhere. Worth speculating on.

Cheers
Reply 5
Thanks olop!
Hughesy I'm from Nottingham- the uni here is really nice! Wish I'd have applied myself to be honest
Haha Rich, what's not tempting about watching others worry about exams whilst I kick back and do nothing? :wink: When my friends started receiving A*AA offers from Bristol, I expected to get one myself, but it came through as AAB. I think this is probably because I go to a state school, whereas my friends with the higher offers go to a public school (which I attended until finishing GCSEs). No harm in contacting Exeter mind!
Reply 6
What happens if you put it as an insurance choice? I assume it may not be unconditional. I'm currently at Birmingham studying economics, but in my mind, if you prefer somewhere else, you should put them as your firm and work towards it. Then you may put Birmingham as your insurance if you like it enough.
My opinion is its better to work harder in these next few months to be somewhere better for you, then simply accept an unconditional place.
Reply 7
Hi guys!
So I got a letter this morning, and it seems Birmingham have decided to make my offer for BSc Economics unconditional (provided I firm choice it)!
Firstly, has anyone else received such a privilege? I have never heard of this happening before, personally (not suggesting I'm anything special, mind).
And secondly, given my other offers (Manchester, Leeds, Bristol + still waiting on LSE), what would you do in my position? Take the unconditional, breeze through (if not drop) A levels? Or carry on working hard, and aim for (my already lowered AAB) Bristol economics offer, and hold on hope for LSE?

I'm in a similar boat, just waiting for LSE for Gov and History, but I agree with @Hughsey, I'll wait for my results on Thursday, and as long as I do enough so I could get AAA/AAB I won't accept the unconditional.
Reply 8
Original post by hughsey
I also received an unconditional offer from Uni Of Birmingham for economics BSC today, was so surprised. :biggrin:

I plan to see what my results are next Thursday for January results as I did modules in each of my 4 subjects. If I get A*A*A results or so, then I probably wont accept Birmingham's offer as I want to go to Nottingham ideally (A*AA requirement), but if I dont get A*s or even get a B or something, then I will certainly consider Birmingham because its an amazing offer. Its a tough choice for you OP.

I'm in exactly the same position as you! It's between Birmingham (Unconditional), Nottingham (A*AA) or Bath (A*AA, although I'm still waiting for Bath to reply). I'll probably decide after I've visited both of them: Birmingham next week and Nottingham the week after that. If I decide to go for Nottingham it's going to be really hard to reject Birmingham, especially if I end up getting AAA and falling short of Nottingham :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Patriot Rich
Same here.

Its a tough choice. I want to go to Exeter which is an AAA offer as well which I should be able to make, but maths will be a challenge.
I might email them and try and get it put down to AAB or lower regardless, worth a shot.
The temptation to take the unconditional and give up on work for a few months is pretty damn tempting though.

I got an AAB offer from Exeter, I don't have a particularly amazing personal statement, extra curricular activities or anything really so I'd imagine you may do aswell. This is for Economics btw
Reply 10
I got an unconditional offer yesterday to study Economics. I'm stupidly happy about it but t's made it such a hard choice now!
I really love Exeter and have an AAA offer but i'm worried about the third A so maybe taking up Birmingham's offer is a good idea? It would definitely take the pressure off anyway but is it as good a place to study economics as Exeter? :/ decisions decisions!!
Reply 11
I got the same letter, but for BSc European Politics, Society and Economics. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by TheHairyArmenian
I've heard that Birmingham are down 30% in applications, I don't know if it's true. Congratulations though I'd love an unconditional offer from my universities!

Who is your source?

on tsr app...grammar may be bad!
Reply 13
Haha so the only reason I got an unconditional was to make up numbers? That's disappointing... :tongue:
Thanks for the input guys, think I'll hold out for results and work from there. Good luck for everyone's results, by the way!
Reply 14
Haha so the only reason I got an unconditional was to make up numbers? That's disappointing... :tongue:
Thanks for the input guys, think I'll hold out for results and work from there. Good luck for everyone's results, by the way!

You can't drop any subjects. You can fail them, but if you don't take them your offer will be void. It's unconditional providing the details provided in your UCAS form are correct - if that changes you need to tell the uni.

If you do badly it will affect things in future. Many grad schemes ask for certain A Levels or UCAS points.

Sent from my GT-S5363
Reply 15
Got an unconditional offer for Accounting and Finance :biggrin: Cant wait!!!
I can't believe Birmingham are handing out unconditionals to people on the basis of AS levels. I think it makes them look a bit desperate, to be honest. I can't believe that it's ok with UCAS to make offers dependent on whether the student will pick them as firm or not and I think it's bad practice to do it: students should pick the university they think is best for them, not the one that's giving them an easy offer.
Reply 17
Hey guys,

I also got an unconditional offer from Birmingham to do Bsc Economics this year. Couple of weeks ago I was almost sure to put York (AAB) as my firm and Sheffield as my insurance. But now with this unconditional from Birmingham I'm not sure whether I should take the easy route or not.
I received an unconditional offer the other day for Political Science at Birmingham!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 19
Original post by Jskalkut
Hey guys,

I also got an unconditional offer from Birmingham to do Bsc Economics this year. Couple of weeks ago I was almost sure to put York (AAB) as my firm and Sheffield as my insurance. But now with this unconditional from Birmingham I'm not sure whether I should take the easy route or not.

This seems to be the issue for people now. Make sure you go where you'd do the best for the years you'll be at university. There's obviously a reason you chose York and Sheffield over Birmingham. Are those reasons significant enough that you would discount them just to feel confident about your final exams?

Quick Reply