The Student Room Group

Reptiles and inverts.

Hi guys, do any of you guys keep reptiles and/or inverts. So far I keep
Pogona Vitticeps
Pseudempusa Pinnapavonis
Phyllocrania Paradoxa
Bean weevils
Used to keep Sphodromantis lineola! Hence the username.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I've got 8 snakes, 3 corns, 2 hoggies, 1 royal, 1 MBK and 1 Saharan sand boa.
Don't keep them but lived in an area with rattle snakes and monitor lizards They are pretty big
Nice, just getting a grammostola porteri, chile rose tarantula tomoz. Do excited! :biggrin:
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Don't keep them but lived in an area with rattle snakes and monitor lizard. They are pretty big

Is it a komodo dragon? these reptiles are the biggest ones which I know. I have heard that they are even attack humans, if they are very hungry.
Original post by Kallisto
Is it a komodo dragon? these reptiles are the biggest ones which I know. I have heard that they are even attack humans, if they are very hungry.

I don't think Komodo, you have to have atleast a license to own one, they are pretty dangerous to humans. But probably means, monitors, tegu's, iguanas. Frilled dragons are beautiful large lizards!
Original post by Sphodromantis
I don't think Komodo, you have to have atleast a license to own one, they are pretty dangerous to humans. (...)

Is it really possible to keep these big lizards as pets? I guess they must be domesticated from the beginning, otherwise they are too dangerous. I would rather keep a crocodile as pet before I keep a komodo dragon.

No, but they are quite similar. Monitors are almost as large; there are a couple of sub-branches and there are two I know: one is quite gentle and the other is easily provoked and can be aggressive. They charge if disturbed and since they are so big it's quite scary
Is it really possible to keep these big lizards as pets? I guess they must be domesticated from the beginning, otherwise they are too dangerous. I would rather keep a crocodile as pet before I keep a komodo dragon.

You could keep Komodos, I know a guy that keeps one but he's an animal wrangler and knows how to calm them without harming them. You would need a lot of space for a Komodo and probably tame it, but it is possible. You could keep cayman crocs, they are small but snappy but easily tamed.
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
No, but they are quite similar. Monitors are almost as large (...)

I see. The resemblance between them is remarkable. I suppose that a monitor lizard is related to a Komodo Dragon.

You could keep Komodos, I know a guy that keeps one but he's an animal wrangler and knows how to calm them without harming them. You would need a lot of space for a Komodo and probably tame it, but it is possible. You could keep cayman crocs, they are small but snappy but easily tamed.

That sounds interesting. Has he another lizard-like pets beside a Komodo dragon? as far as I know Komodo dragons are skillful predators which would eat a buffalo in a group, if they are hungry. I guess a sustenance of meat is required to keep them as pets. How much meat they are eating per day?

If I would keep a crocodile as pet, a cayman croc were my preferred choice.
I see. The resemblance between them is remarkable. I suppose that a monitor lizard is related to a Komodo Dragon.

That sounds interesting. Has he another lizard-like pets beside a Komodo dragon? as far as I know Komodo dragons are skillful predators which would eat a buffalo in a group, if they are hungry. I guess a sustenance of meat is required to keep them as pets. How much meat they are eating per day?

If I would keep a crocodile as pet, a cayman croc were my preferred choice.

Yes he keeps lots of lizards, caymans, tegu, monitors, few Komodos, various dragon species, anoles, geckos, and insects, and has very large birds of prey, Eurasian Black Vulture, their whole family is and house of creatures!
Caymans are nice little crocs! :smile:
Yes he keeps lots of lizards, caymans, tegu, monitors, few Komodos, various dragon species, anoles, geckos, and insects, and has very large birds of prey, Eurasian Black Vulture, their whole family is and house of creatures!
Caymans are nice little crocs! :smile:

I have the impression the guy is living in a zoo full of lizards. It seems that he has a weakness for reptiles.
I have a columbian rainbow boa and two leopard geckos, also going to get a beardie this year, a trio of ackiers or a burm , definatly the beardie, and hopefully the burm:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by RachaelBee
I've got 8 snakes, 3 corns, 2 hoggies, 1 royal, 1 MBK and 1 Saharan sand boa.

Any pics Rachael?
Original post by Rybee
Any pics Rachael?

533695_10151294585000140_658604779_n.jpg251460_10151448284050140_279037769_n.jpg260101_10151196747595140_1727654535_n.jpg557862_10150838469450140_200085388_n.jpg260547_10151181333600140_1173382778_n.jpg430356_10150723195645140_2052972594_n.jpg225076_10150243592590140_4986959_n.jpg
Reply 15
Got three corn snakes atm, different morphs.

In the past have had several western hoggies, a young bci, crb and a couple of Kenyan sand boas

Looking to get into arboreal snake species and geckos after uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I want a diplodocus.
Here is my new baby! A Brachypelma Albopilosum aka Honduran CurlyHair!
She's a two year old female!
Another baby of mine a pterinochilus murinus, orange babboon tarantula.
I have 2 leopard geckos, 3 tranculars (Brazilian Black and 2 Birdeaters) and 2 Giant African Snails + x amount of babies.. :smile: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371575542.923934.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1371575567.902305.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1371575744.890404.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1371575808.989942.jpg (baby snails btw...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest