The Student Room Group

Queen pulling a sickie?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-21635900

I'm just a little bit suspicious that the Queen has pulled out of an event today in Wales. How often do you see other politicians getting ill and not turning up to engagements, hardly ever. Apparently she has an upset tummy. Could she be "pulling a sickie"? Also I find it a coincidence that the visit is to Wales, where the monarch is typically not as popular.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I couldn't give a damn what she does, but she IS suffering from a bug. It's not like she's 30 or 40 years old. She's pretty old.
Da Queen can do what she wants. She PWNS Wales, and YOU!!!!1!
Original post by 122025278

I'm just a little bit suspicious that the Queen has pulled out of an event today in Wales. How often do you see other politicians getting ill and not turning up to engagements, hardly ever. Apparently she has an upset tummy. Sounds like she's pulling a sickie to me. Also I find it a coincidence that the visit is to Wales, where the monarch is typically not as popular. She should "man up".

Maybe she's decided she wants a long lie in on Saturday and the weekend off or something so she can laud it up in her palace like she does all week. I think there needs to be an investigation and disciplinary action if needed.

She is 86.

Actually if you have ever booked a politician for an event, you would know that there is no guarantee of them turning up until they appear at the door. MPs are very unreliable guests. You always need a plan B.

However, I do wonder if the illness is diplomatic. She is due to visit Rome in the next couple of days.

Presumably she would be received by the Pope :confused: and then meet the Italian Prime Minister :confused:

I'm just a little bit suspicious that the Queen has pulled out of an event today in Wales. How often do you see other politicians getting ill and not turning up to engagements, hardly ever. Apparently she has an upset tummy. Sounds like she's pulling a sickie to me. Also I find it a coincidence that the visit is to Wales, where the monarch is typically not as popular. She should "man up".

Maybe she's decided she wants a long lie in on Saturday and the weekend off or something so she can laud it up in her palace like she does all week. I think there needs to be an investigation and disciplinary action if needed.

shes 86 years old???

most people I know at that age are pretty much always ill with something..

give her a break..

--- there are many reasons to dislike the queen, and to have a go at the monarchy.. but question whether an 86 year old woman is really sick.. is making something out of nothing..
Reply 5
Original post by fallen_acorns
shes 86 years old???

most people I know at that age are pretty much always ill with something..

give her a break..

--- there are many reasons to dislike the queen, and to have a go at the monarchy.. but question whether an 86 year old woman is really sick.. is making something out of nothing..

If she can't do it, get someone else who can.

We don't have pilots at 86, surgeons at 86, scientists at 86 etc.

Is it really safe having her finger on the nuclear button, when she could so easily mistake it for the TV remote?
If she can't do it, get someone else who can.

We don't have pilots at 86, surgeons at 86, scientists at 86 etc.

Is it really safe having her finger on the nuclear button, when she could so easily mistake it for the TV remote?

I'm not convinced that they give her access to the Trident control system directly - maybe she has to phone someone to launch thermonuclear armageddon? Isn't that what one's Prime Minister is for?
Reply 7
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I'm not convinced that they give her access to the Trident control system directly - maybe she has to phone someone to launch thermonuclear armageddon? Isn't that what one's Prime Minister is for?

We meet again. They don't give her access to Trident. That would be a decision for the Cabinet and relayed by the Chiefs of Staff.
Reply 8
she's an old woman, why should she force herself to do things when his not well. Why do some people try and make a conspiracy of nothing
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Trident is under the control of the Prime Minister, one other unnamed minister chosen by the PM (probably Hague) and John Humphrys.

The latter is because if the captain of the submarine doesn't receive the regular status messages from the Admiralty, he is supposed to go through a series of tests to establish if Britain still exists, one of which is whether the Today programme is still being broadcast. If he doesn't get a satisfactory response he opens sealed orders from the PM. It is thought that they will say one of:-launch, don't launch, put yourself under Obama's orders, put yourself under Julia Gillard's orders or do what you think best. Given that it is no longer obvious who will have blown us up, probably the Obama or Gillard option is now the most likely.

The Queen's role would be to appoint a new PM if we lost Cameron for any reason and to make emergency laws by Order in Council. The Privy Council has a quorum of three. In a crisis there would be a senior minister in full time attendance on her and so that minister, Prince Philip and her private secretary are the quorum. Succession to the Crown is automatic as in the case of 1217, when King John died with a French army in the realm.
Original post by nulli tertius

The latter is because if the captain of the submarine doesn't receive the regular status messages from the Admiralty, he is supposed to go through a series of tests to establish if Britain still exists, one of which is whether the Today programme is still being broadcast.

Yes, some people have found that little detail troubling, given that Radio 4 has a notorious tendency to drop off the air randomly for brief periods in the normal broadcasting day.
Reply 11
Original post by nulli tertius
Trident is under the control of the Prime Minister, one other unnamed minister chosen by the PM (probably Hague) and John Humphrys.

The latter is because if the captain of the submarine doesn't receive the regular status messages from the Admiralty, he is supposed to go through a series of tests to establish if Britain still exists, one of which is whether the Today programme is still being broadcast. If he doesn't get a satisfactory response he opens sealed orders from the PM. It is thought that they will say one of:-launch, don't launch, put yourself under Obama's orders, put yourself under Julia Gillard's orders or do what you think best. Given that it is no longer obvious who will have blown us up, probably the Obama or Gillard option is now the most likely.

The Queen's role would be to appoint a new PM if we lost Cameron for any reason and to make emergency laws by Order in Council. The Privy Council has a quorum of three. In a crisis there would be a senior minister in full time attendance on her and so that minister, Prince Philip and her private secretary are the quorum. Succession to the Crown is automatic as in the case of 1217, when King John died with a French army in the realm.

Well that explains why the old fart Humphrys is able to milk the BBC for £800k a year.
Reply 12
Queen pulling a sickie?

sickie pulling a Queen?
I'm pretty certain she isn't, but if she was, can you really blame her? There's a reason that she outsources that stuff to the 'Prince of Wales', largely because as a country its a godforsaken hell hole
I can't remember the last time I heard in the news that the Queen was sick.. She does her job fine, everyone gets ill now and then. Talk about making mountains from molehills..
Reply 15
Dereliction of duty
Original post by aranexus
sickie pulling a Queen?

pulling a sickie Queen?
Reply 17
She's twice the age of any politician, except Ming Campbell, and it's not like a bunch of them were making the trek to Wales either.
Reply 18
Why? What is the underlying problem here?
Sometimes elderly people are unwell.
It is a pity that she is unable to attend an important function. But consider how you might feel if she is seriously unwell.
Get well soon Your Majesty.
If she did show up, and spend the day looking really miserable because she was ill you'd probably complain too.
Get over it.
This way she can go another time when she's better and everyone has much more fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending