The Student Room Group

can not decide university for Sociology and Politics

Looking for some advice, I have had 5 offers for Sociology and Politics from Sheffield, Aston, Manchester, Nottingham Trent and Sunderland but now can not decide between Aston and Manchester for my firm choice.

I've been and looked at both and been to the course open days. The course at Manchester is better but the accomodation at Aston is nicer, so to me there are pros and cons to both and i can't decide so any advice would be great. :smile:
Original post by sociology_sarah
Looking for some advice, I have had 5 offers for Sociology and Politics from Sheffield, Aston, Manchester, Nottingham Trent and Sunderland but now can not decide between Aston and Manchester for my firm choice.

I've been and looked at both and been to the course open days. The course at Manchester is better but the accomodation at Aston is nicer, so to me there are pros and cons to both and i can't decide so any advice would be great. :smile:

No brainer in favour of Manchester as far as I'm concerned. The course is the most important thing. People looking at your cv won't care whether you got a flat screen tv in your student halls.

How come you discounted Sheffield? Great uni for politics and both departments are in the same building overlooking a nice park...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
No brainer in favour of Manchester as far as I'm concerned. The course is the most important thing. People looking at your cv won't care whether you got a flat screen tv in your student halls.

How come you discounted Sheffield? Great uni for politics and both departments are in the same building overlooking a nice park...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I discounted sheffield based on the fact that i looked at Aston and prefered the complete campus idea of the accomodation and university all on one site, but then looked at Manchester and prefered the teaching way of the course. I have applied to do exactly the same course at each university hence making my choice seem harder for me as on my CV will be the same degree.
I discounted sheffield based on the fact that i looked at Aston and prefered the complete campus idea of the accomodation and university all on one site, but then looked at Manchester and prefered the teaching way of the course. I have applied to do exactly the same course at each university hence making my choice seem harder for me as on my CV will be the same degree.

Sadly, the place where you do your degree is a more important factor than what you study. It was the degree&university combined that I referred to by 'course'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of uni reputation I'd say it is broadly as follows:

1. Nottingham

2 Sheffield/ 3. Manchester (Sheffield only just above for the strength of your course)

4. Aston/Trent (both ex polys and generally neither to be chosen over a RG in a straight contest).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

1. Nottingham

2 Sheffield/ 3. Manchester (Sheffield only just above for the strength of your course)

4. Aston/Trent (both ex polys and generally neither to be chosen over a RG in a straight contest).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aston isn't ex poly, its been a university since the 1960's.
Reply 6

I would go to Manchester then, the course lasts for 3 years where as your only in halls for one and you get used to the halls pretty quickly.
Original post by jelly1000
Aston isn't ex poly, its been a university since the 1960's.

My apologies; you are correct. However, it still languishes outside the top30 for this subject.

In terms of uni prestige I'm given to understand it is primarily known for technology and industry. Recruiters I have spoken to from other sectors (law, development, political consulting) don't rate it highly at all unless you come out with a BSc and some kind of commercial experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
My apologies; you are correct. However, it still languishes outside the top30 for this subject.

In terms of uni prestige I'm given to understand it is primarily known for technology and industry. Recruiters I have spoken to from other sectors (law, development, political consulting) don't rate it highly at all unless you come out with a BSc and some kind of commercial experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i agree with you that its known primarily for business, but very few employers take a graduate without experience seriously now days regardless of the uni they went to.
Original post by jelly1000
i agree with you that its known primarily for business, but very few employers take a graduate without experience seriously now days regardless of the uni they went to.

Yes I agree. I still would not change my advice to OP in this particular situation though.

Better to go somewhere like Manchester and build experience than somewhere like Aston and build experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

1. Nottingham

Posted from TSR Mobile

She was talking about Nottingham Trent, which is not really a good Uni :smile:
If you can, visit Sheffield. Maybe you will like it there. If you are choosing from Aston and Manchester, Manchester is more respected of the two.
Original post by Audre
She was talking about Nottingham Trent, which is not really a good Uni :smile:
If you can, visit Sheffield. Maybe you will like it there. If you are choosing from Aston and Manchester, Manchester is more respected of the two.

Good spot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending