The Student Room Group

How far is too far? provocative dressing

I'm not exactly innocent and when i go clubbing i like to look sexy, recently though, i have found myself crossing more and more boundaries with the length of my skirt/dresses/shorts, the depth of my neckline.. etc and getting more attention from boys.

When i lived with them, my parents would not let me out of the house in any clothing that ends more than 1 inch above my knees, but now that i've moved out i feel like i've gone wild, i'm not sure if i'm just being provocative by my parents' standard or by general standards.

These days everyone wears what they want but i care what ppl think about me

tl;dr what does a girl have to wear for her to be judged 'slutty' 'trashy' or 'tarty' by appearance only?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sausageez
I'm not exactly innocent and when i go clubbing i like to look sexy, recently though, i have found myself crossing more and more boundaries with the length of my skirt/dresses/shorts, the depth of my neckline.. etc and getting more attention from boys.

When i lived with them, my parents would not let me out of the house in any clothing that ends more than 1 inch above my knees, but now that i've moved out i feel like i've gone wild, i'm not sure if i'm just being provocative by my parents' standard or by general standards.

tl;dr what does a girl have to wear for her to be judged 'slutty' 'trashy' or 'tarty' by appearance only?

Will need pics to assess the situation. :colone:

You knew what would come. Typical tsr response. ^

But to be judged as slutty, its obvious, just what you described, getting boys attention JUST from flaunting overly exposed body parts.

Tbh do what you want, its your body.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
wear whatever you want, until you begin to get uncomfortable or intimidated by the attention you're getting. there's your limit.

It's pretty ironic because your username is sausageez!

Oh dear.
If I can see gusset... :no:
Reply 5
Original post by James A
It's pretty ironic because your username is sausageez!

Oh dear.

how's it ironic? i was eating a sausage roll when i chose my username :tongue:
Reply 6
Go to a club with Jamaican girls. You'll see then that you've got no limit.
Reply 7
Original post by Blueray2
Will need pics to assess the situation. :colone:

You knew what would come. Typical tsr response. ^

But to be judged as slutty, its obvious, just what you described, getting boys attention JUST from flaunting overly exposed body parts.

Tbh do what you want, its your body.

yeah i was expecting that, but the only way u'd get any attention in a club is by looking good :s-smilie: but it shouldn't mean u're slutty should it?
Reply 8
If you can see your bum cheeks/any area where your pubic hair is/should be then it is too short

If you are at risk of a nip slip the dress it too low cut.

In my opinion.

But do what you want, its your life! Doesn't mean I wont laugh at you if your arse cheeks are hanging out your hotpants though.
how's it ironic? i was eating a sausage roll when i chose my username :tongue:

sausage usually has different connotations, especially when talking about wearing shorter skirts and being more susceptible to attention from boys :sexface:
Reply 10
I guess it's subjective. I'd say if I can see your vagina it's a bit too much.

Nah, wear what you want as long as you feel comfortable. I don't like showing too much skin on a night out personally but I have some friends who could go out nude and not give a crap. Meh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like wearing things that show my legs, they're basically the only thing I get compliments for apart from my eyelashes. :lol: It's subjective, some people would consider that a bit slutty, I just do it because I like my legs. To be honest, I get more attention from guys when I'm a bit more covered up, it's odd. My least flattering dress gets me the most attention which I find funny. Maybe it's the attitude, I try not to act too flirty when I'm showing more skin because I don't want to go off for a one night stand with anyone and I don't want to give that impression. As far as I'm concerned, if you can see way too much of their legs and their boobs, that's going too far. It depends a lot on the person, girls with less cleavage can get away with slightly more low cut tops because there's not really anything to see.
Everyone has different opinions on what "slutty" is. Personally if I'm wearing a dress with a low neckline I'll usually wear tights. And if I'm wearing a short dress I make sure it has a high neckline.
I don't think a woman's outfit can make her look "slutty".:rolleyes: I think it's a girl or a guy's behaviour in a club, bar or party that makes people think they're slutty e.g making out with countless guys or girls or getting wasted and climbing up on tables ha ha.

In saying this I don't think it's flattering for anyone guy or girl to show butt cheek or any part of their chests. In my books dresses that sit mid thigh are fine though.
the general rule i stick to is boobs or legs,not both.
I dress quite provocatively if I'm out with a male friend or my boyfriend. That way I feel somewhat safer. If I'm out alone or with female friends, it's different-I cover up more as was said above-I'm not up for one night stands and I'm not on the pull so I don't want to give that impression.
But really, you should be able to wear what you want.
Reply 16
A boy will think you are a slut if you are trying to show off your boobs and ass only, if if you walk in a way your ass jiggles about LOL. Also if you keep pressing your body forward for maximum boob attention
Reply 17
Agree with the person above who said boobs or legs!

I personally find it really cringe-worthy when I go out and see girls who blatantly don't care what they're wearing as long as it's short, tight and shows as much as possible and it's blindingly obvious that they've chosen their outfit to show off their assets. But whatever floats your boat I guess :rolleyes:. I understand about the guys attention thing but at the end of the day it's the same attention anyone else with their boobs/legs/arse out would get so you're nothing special to them.
the general rule i stick to is boobs or legs,not both.

Think this is about right. I normally keep my top half well covered because my legs are on display most of the time. Wearing a low cut/ revealing top with a short skirt & bare legs can look really trashy.
IMO, the less the better. If you've got it, flaunt it.

But be aware, it does send a message to the fellas though.

If you end up with someone after a nite out dressed provocatively, they will be expecting you to "walk the walk"

Quick Reply

Latest