The Student Room Group

How do people deal with Organic Chemistry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charco
If you are interested in taking things further...

http://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/faculty/reusch/VirtTxtJml/intro1.htm#contnt

This is slightly off-topic, but do you have any such links to considerably advanced sites for physical or inorganic chemistry? (or anything other than organic - I've got a proper textbook for that now :tongue: ) I've seen things like the Stephen Lower textbook and would love that level of depth and coverage but without the several mistakes in calculation.
Original post by Big-Daddy
This is slightly off-topic, but do you have any such links to considerably advanced sites for physical or inorganic chemistry? (or anything other than organic - I've got a proper textbook for that now :tongue: ) I've seen things like the Stephen Lower textbook and would love that level of depth and coverage but without the several mistakes in calculation.

Nothing web-based. I have many physical texts and a couple of downloadable ones.
I'd also like to recommend this video playlist from Khan Academy if I may :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC7305D1BC80498DA6

It really helps you get to grips with everything like nomenclature, everything going on in reactions and goes over the necessary principles you need to take with you from general chemistry.
It's by no means complete and you definitely won't learn all the reactions you need in degree OrgChem but it's more than substantial for A level.
Reply 23
Umm, like you can get some good synthetic route maps in the nelson thornes book. Besides, you can get a magic conversion chart at scribd (I forgot the original address). For reaction mechanism, you can create something like a big chart showing the general mechanisms of reactions. Just take a look at it whenever you feel like.. you know it:smile: That's at least what I do.
Nomenclature is really simple. You just need to get through five or six examples for each rule before you get it.
Hope it helps.
Original post by charco
Nothing web-based. I have many physical texts and a couple of downloadable ones.

Yes, if you could link me to some of the downloadable ones and/or name the textbooks I would like to go and have a look. :smile:

My main emphasis is that they cover a lot of material (i.e. the main topics, but to a decently advanced level), but would need to start at around A-Level or just after.
Reply 25
Have a look at http://www.chemtube3d.com/

I find it's really useful :smile:
Reply 26
Okay so I took the memorizing advice and it worked for the AS aspect, I'm finding it good now :biggrin:. However, there is still the problem of A2. Even though I know the reactions, they are twisted in ways I don't think of. For example there was a question on how to distinguish between CH3OH and CH3CH2OH and the last thing my mind went to was the iodoform test, How do you deal with these? Practice? Could I develop enough of these skills in time for my A2 exams which is in approximately 2 months?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Lelyke
The mechanisms are really difficult, How is one supposed to think of all that? The time in the exam is limited as well so I just lose patience drawing the structural formulas> these makes me miss some questions.

really? mechanism's are the easiest 4-5 marks in the paper!
I loved organic chem.

The easiest way to revise it for me was to make a mind-map. So for example you draw an alcohol in the centre, then draw all the possible reactions around it along with their conditions/reagents and any mechanisms you need to know.
Reply 29
Yeah they are pretty easy, when I first started though my teacher made it look complicated so I thought it was something crazy. Any tips on the A2 organic chem though?
Reply 30
Now looking back at this thread, I just want to do this :colondollar: . Organic chemistry was actually the easiest part of chemistry.
Reply 31
Original post by charco
Yes, I could, but it's not on most specifications. Organometallic reactions may be required in some cases, but not the mechanisms.

If you notice there aren't any rearrangements either.

it was some time ago inorganic organometallic chemist would often describe that the curly arrows mechanism (used by organic chemist) is just absurd when dealing with organometallics, haha.
Organic chemistry is the most interesting in my opinion! I love it!

The one I cant stand is physical chemistry, too mathsy and physicsy :frown:
Original post by LeonVII
Organic chemistry is the most interesting in my opinion! I love it!

The one I cant stand is physical chemistry, too mathsy and physicsy :frown:

What do you expect.... It does have physical in its name!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JMaydom
What do you expect.... It does have physical in its name!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, but I didn't think it would be that bad!
Reply 35
Original post by JMaydom
It is the easiest in my opinion. The 'Organic' chemistry at A-level is hopelessly simple (no offense meant) as it mostly involves learning rules for naming compounds. Focus on learning these rules and with plenty of practice it should become easier.
Learn to convert molecular formulas (CH3-CH2 etc etc) into structural formula as it is a much more convenient format to work with.

It does get a bit harder when you move into some proper organic chem, which is when you start learning about some mechanisms. (I find the naming stuff an insult to the name of organic chem)
Again, a large part is just identifying stuff an nucleophillic substitution etc which is very easy..... Just practise.
Mechanisms are more conceptually challenging, and it can be even worse when you're suppose to know what the outcome of the reaction is without having learnt the mechanism to rationalise the product.

How did you deal with the side where you have to keep on memorising stuff like converting an alcohol into aldehyde requires high temperature and acidified potassium dichromate etc. It feels so lifeless and a bore:frown:
Original post by krisshP
How did you deal with the side where you have to keep on memorising stuff like converting an alcohol into aldehyde requires high temperature and acidified potassium dichromate etc. It feels so lifeless and a bore:frown:

Hmmm, not sure if that reaction was on my A level spec? I did A level ages ago now so I don't remember what I did and didn't do exactly. I learnt about it at uni but you learn full mechanisms which makes it more interesting and easier to remember.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by krisshP

Well you are oxidizing so it has to be in hot K2Cr2O7, I think it moves to a carboxylic acid if its hot KMnO4. Has to be a primary alcohol though. I found that condition bit a little difficult too. But I went through the reactions everyday for about a week and it became so ingrained in me, if you punch me in my sleep, I could tell you the conditions for reduction, oxidation, diazotisation, iodoform etc.

Quick Reply

Latest