Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

A little confused with how to use SOHCAHTOA

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Ok, so I know what SOHCAHTOA stands for, and which one you'd use if there was a missing side and angle. For example, you knew the hypotenuse and the adjacent, but you didn't know the opposite, you'd use cos^-1 to find the missing angle.

However, I don't understand it when you need to work out the length of a side, but know the angle. There's a question that tells you the length of the opposite and the angle, but the hypotenuse value and adjacent value are missing. How do I know which function to use? Please help, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 365 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends on whether you are trying to find the hypotenuse or the adjacent. The question will tell you which one you need.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can work out one of the missing values using SOHCAHTOA, then use Pythagoras theorem to work out the final side (unless you wanna use SOHCAHTOA for both, which is fine). In your case:

Sin(x) = y / H where x is the given angle and y is the length of the opposite.

Re-arrange to get H = y / sin (x) which gives you the hypotenuse length. Repeat for the final length or use Pythagoras.
    • 237 followers

ReputationRep:
    If the opposite is given, the question will then ask you to find one of the lengths, which will be the hypotenuse or the adjacent.

Eg

ABC = 90 degrees
    AB = 6

ACB = 76 degrees.

Find length BC. (adjacent)

So you'd use

Tan76 = 6/BC
    BC = 6/Tan76

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    It depends on whether you are trying to find the hypotenuse or the adjacent. The question will tell you which one you need.
    Ok, so if I needed to find the opposite, I'd use cos?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enthusiastic A)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cos is adjacent/hypotenuse , you'd need sin for that
    • 365 followers

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You never use cos for the opposite. cos x is defined as adjacent over hypotenuse.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Cos is adjacent/hypotenuse , you'd need sin for that
    That's where I'm confused. I don't know the opposite, so how can I use sin (opposite/hypotenuse)? How can I divide the opposite by the hypotenuse when I don't know the value of the oposite?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 365 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's where I'm confused. I don't know the opposite, so how can I use sin (opposite/hypotenuse)? How can I divide the opposite by the hypotenuse when I don't know the value of the oposite?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Call the unknown x?
    • 237 followers

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How would you solve:

2 = x/4

Same thing. Different values.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Rotate your page so that the angle you are looking at changes, then you can find that angle using trigonometry. Also as angles in a triangle sum to 180 you can find the required angle.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 2, 2013
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.